GFO Equipment reconditions for a 200 gal tank

Kevin Finocchiaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am looking to start GFO, and would like suggestions on which one to get. I saw a dual one which mounts on the wall, and can run carbon also. Anyway my tank is 200 gal and would like to know that set ups you like the best.

I plan to be asking this same question about calcium reactors also.

20210308_083704.jpg

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank!

There are lots of great options for GFO reactors - but before you do, may I ask why you still need one when you've got a refugium and light?

It has been my general belief (perhaps wrong?) that a GFO reactor will only compete with your macroalgae in your refugium for nutrients, and potential lead to the failure of your macroalgae.

In my experience, with the right combination of refugium size, water flow, selection of macroalgae, and refugium light, I often struggle with have phosphate levels TOO LOW ... and end up having to add back phosphate to keep the macroalgae happy, or significantly reduce the photo period.

Perhaps it would make more sense to first look at changes in your refugium to get the nutrient export you need before adding new equipment?

Just trying to save you some $$ and hassle from adding new hardware that you might not even need.

OP
OP
Kevin Finocchiaro

Kevin Finocchiaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank!

There are lots of great options for GFO reactors - but before you do, may I ask why you still need one when you've got a refugium and light?

It has been my general belief (perhaps wrong?) that a GFO reactor will only compete with your macroalgae in your refugium for nutrients, and potential lead to the failure of your macroalgae.

In my experience, with the right combination of refugium size, water flow, selection of macroalgae, and refugium light, I often struggle with have phosphate levels TOO LOW ... and end up having to add back phosphate to keep the macroalgae happy, or significantly reduce the photo period.

Perhaps it would make more sense to first look at changes in your refugium to get the nutrient export you need before adding new equipment?

Just trying to save you some $$ and hassle from adding new hardware that you might not even need.
i feel that the refugium still needs to grow in order to keep my phosphates under control, I also have a phosphate pad in the sump and last week I added a protein skimmer which was installed after the photo. I went over board with adding various LPS, SPS & softies in the past month and then went overboard in feeding them. My phosphates on 3/19/2021 were .90 ppm which had increase from .76 ppm on 3/1/2021. Anyway I feel that I am now on the clock with my corals trying to play catch up in order to get my phosphate number under control. I also ordered some Phosphate Rx which should arrive by the end of next week and plan to do a 25 to 50 gal water change. So basically it is fear driving the GFO idea.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feel that the refugium still needs to grow in order to keep my phosphates under control, I also have a phosphate pad in the sump and last week I added a protein skimmer which was installed after the photo. I went over board with adding various LPS, SPS & softies in the past month and then went overboard in feeding them. My phosphates on 3/19/2021 were .90 ppm which had increase from .76 ppm on 3/1/2021. Anyway I feel that I am now on the clock with my corals trying to play catch up in order to get my phosphate number under control. I also ordered some Phosphate Rx which should arrive by the end of next week and plan to do a 25 to 50 gal water change. So basically it is fear driving the GFO idea.
If you feed reef roids or nori, or other high po4 foods you will have excessive phosphates.
The refugium helps but handles more nitrates than phosphate. So some of us are having to run gfo or other phosphate controls.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has about 140 gallons between DT and sump(150 gal & 44 gal). I use 1 cup of Rowaphos in a BRS single reactor. I change the Rowaphos about once a month when phosphate starts to rise. My reactor max is 2 cups. Reactor is in sump after refugium with chaeto.

I recommend starting with a smaller amount and add more later if it wasn't enough. Don't run too much and cause your phosphate to go to zero. Bad things will likely happen like STN and RTN.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back