GFO, Phosguard, or phosbond in a reactor,

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went and bought a media reactor and wanted somw thoughts on what phos control media I should use in it. My phos is over .250 right now....again.... in a 25 gal. All params arw as of tonight:
ammonia =0
nitrite=0
nitrate=0
pH=8.0
calcium=400
dKh=8
and these params have been steady for the last week. Tank has been cycled since sept.
after the phos is under control, think i wanna run chemipure blue in it.....thoughts on that too please.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use those products. Do water changes. Are you feeding too much food to your fishes? Do you feed corals? BTW you need to get your nitrates up or you will get dino

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both GFO and lanthium. I put 1/2 the amount of GFO into my reactor and adjust weekly with small lanthium doses performed right after testing.
As others have eluded you can skip it with water changes, but depending on tank size might not be practical
I have a 150 , 210 and 60g tanks, makes more sense to control phosphate in the tank

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use those products. Do water changes. Are you feeding too much food to your fishes? Do you feed corals? BTW you need to get your nitrates up or you will get dino
I do not have fish, only coral and yes I do feed reef roids once a week, spot feed only, no broadcast feeding.
Yea I am having a bit a trouble with that. Nitrates are not detectable. I do have a small fuge in the back of the tank, wonder if that is taking up too much nitrate

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have fish, only coral and yes I do feed reef roids once a week, spot feed only, no broadcast feeding.
Yea I am having a bit a trouble with that. Nitrates are not detectable. I do have a small fuge in the back of the tank, wonder if that is taking up too much nitrate
How do the macros look? Are they growing? Macros should be all you need for nutrient control without feeding fish.

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do the macros look? Are they growing? Macros should be all you need for nutrient control without feeding fish.
they are fully packed in the tray. was gonna trimmed this weekend. Its more packed in then what is shown in the pic

Attachments

• 20201122_194402_HDR.jpg
    20201122_194402_HDR.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 103

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids will raise you phosphates

why no fish? Fish poop is good for corals. I love corals. It’s the reason I have a tank. Fish come in second place.

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids will raise you phosphates

why no fish? Fish poop is good for corals. I love corals. It’s the reason I have a tank. Fish come in second place.
Yea I noticed that the last time if fed the coral. my phos WAS at .200, then the day after feeding it jumped to almost .300

honestly its the upkeep for the fish at this point. might get some in the future thou.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back