GHA / Bryopsis and probably velvet ugh

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea reefer 350. I cycled marco dry rock in a plastic container for like 3 month feeding ammonia every few days. The tank was up for about 3 months and doing fine but I had to move it across town. That was about 2 months ago and now the tank is a disaster. It's been up for about five months and was started with some live rock from an existing tank and about 50 lbs of marco. I did make the mistake of reusing the sand when I moved the tank.

I also had some fish die (velvet but don't know for sure) and have a couple in QT. so there's only a goby and six line wrasse in the DT plus coral. I have GHA that I constantly pull and scrub off rock (it comes back about a week later) and now I'm getting bryopsis growing in the sand.

Parameters:
NO3 - ~2
PO4 - .01 - .02
DKH - 9.5
CA - 440
MG - 1550
Salinity: 35PPT
I do a 10 gallon water change one a week on a system volume of 91 gallons.I also dose 35ml of red sea part B daily to maintain alkalinity. Theres nothing big in the tank but maybe 40 smaller corals consisting of mainly acans, chalice, montipora, favia, zoas and hammers / torches.

I ordered Flux RX to help in the fight. but I'm confused how I have GHA with such a light bioload. I only feed what the fish will eat in a few minutes and have a ton of hermits, crabs, snails that eat whatever they dont. I figured I would give cheato a shot and it hasn't grown at all in two weeks. I'm guessing the bryopsis was from a frag and the GHA is from the rock leaching phosphate? It seems to really grow in the crevices. I have two MP40s that are running at 55% any more and the corals get pretty battered.

GHA with no cheato growth....I'm confused but more importantly how do I get my tank looking decent? Corraline is starting to grow on the new rock. I have pods, micro brittle stars and tons of critters so there's biodiversity in there.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
GhA May be due to too much light or especially if tank is at or near a window. High phosphates and use of tap water instead of RODI water will also be a contributor
If any of these apply, you will need to apply some changes such as light reduction
Begin with retesting. If you’re using API TEST KITS, you’re likely getting false readings.
pull as much GhA as you can and have some snails finish the cleaning.
Snails:
Turbo grazer
Nerite
Astrea
Nassarius
Trochus
Pin cushion urchin

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GhA May be due to too much light or especially if tank is at or near a window. High phosphates and use of tap water instead of RODI water will also be a contributor
If any of these apply, you will need to apply some changes such as light reduction
Begin with retesting. If you’re using API TEST KITS, you’re likely getting false readings.
pull as much GhA as you can and have some snails finish the cleaning.
Snails:
Turbo grazer
Nerite
Astrea
Nassarius
Trochus
Pin cushion urchin
Zero TDS RODI water. 10 hour light duration, no outside light. I have all that clean up crew except the urchin Along with some emerald crabs. I use Hanna ULR phosphate checker and Nyos for NO3. API is garbage.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea reefer 350. I cycled marco dry rock in a plastic container for like 3 month feeding ammonia every few days. The tank was up for about 3 months and doing fine but I had to move it across town. That was about 2 months ago and now the tank is a disaster. It's been up for about five months and was started with some live rock from an existing tank and about 50 lbs of marco. I did make the mistake of reusing the sand when I moved the tank.

I also had some fish die (velvet but don't know for sure) and have a couple in QT. so there's only a goby and six line wrasse in the DT plus coral. I have GHA that I constantly pull and scrub off rock (it comes back about a week later) and now I'm getting bryopsis growing in the sand.

Parameters:
NO3 - ~2
PO4 - .01 - .02
DKH - 9.5
CA - 440
MG - 1550
Salinity: 35PPT
I do a 10 gallon water change one a week on a system volume of 91 gallons.I also dose 35ml of red sea part B daily to maintain alkalinity. Theres nothing big in the tank but maybe 40 smaller corals consisting of mainly acans, chalice, montipora, favia, zoas and hammers / torches.

I ordered Flux RX to help in the fight. but I'm confused how I have GHA with such a light bioload. I only feed what the fish will eat in a few minutes and have a ton of hermits, crabs, snails that eat whatever they dont. I figured I would give cheato a shot and it hasn't grown at all in two weeks. I'm guessing the bryopsis was from a frag and the GHA is from the rock leaching phosphate? It seems to really grow in the crevices. I have two MP40s that are running at 55% any more and the corals get pretty battered.

GHA with no cheato growth....I'm confused but more importantly how do I get my tank looking decent? Corraline is starting to grow on the new rock. I have pods, micro brittle stars and tons of critters so there's biodiversity in there.
Bryopsis will definitely go with FluxRX it will aslo help a bit with the GHA , stick with the recommended dose .

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back