Beautiful room!
Hermits may be due to:
Low level toxins from algae
Low calcium
Insufficient food(starvation)
Higher temperatures
High salinity
Low ph
Thanks heaps man, can see why I cannot do much about the light :(. Hermits I have not tried it's just snails and as crazy as it sounds I think they are starving!. Calcium is on point, temp is 25 deg C spot on with a controller. Salinity never shifts from 1.025 my ATO detects 200ml loss from a 450L tank. PH I have not monitored so i will look into that I have a controller so I will set that up. I never have film alage on the glass, the only alage I get in this system is this crap it even grows in the dark in my sump! Which gets minor light from the opposing chamber where the refugium is. I do feel like I am seeing less every week I am scrubbing as when I started every inch of rock was covered and now I feel it's more like 80% but it's a slow road to recovery. I am tempted to turn the GFO off so phosphate can rise naturally, as at the moment I am doseing to keep phosphate high enough to run aluminium oxide as my LFS says this alage is from silica and this is apparently the fastest way to remove it. The alage itself is very week and comes off pretty easily.

Here you can see it's even on my brick in the sump that sees no UV but is slightly lit at night by my Refugium light
16584927126756956265729130677764.jpg

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent a few hundred on cuc for while now they just die why I would like to ID this alage I feel it might be toxic
Unfortunately you got pushed down the "add a CUC to your tank" rabbit hole by people who have no bussiness giving advice. This hobby has killed so many invertebrates by bad advice we should all be ashamed of ourselves. What you have is in fact lynbya and it is either toxic, or not on an invertebrates diet.
Unfortunately this hobby has been taken over by the culture of lazy and self automation. This can't be beaten with just a "plop and drop" in your tank approach. You can beat this just like I have but your going to have to do it yourself with a hands on approach.
P.S. I doubt your sliding glass door is your problem. My tank is in my basement and gets zero sunlight and I still got lynbya. If you still think it is rhe cause, why not just put some window tint over the glass and see if it goes away. When it doesn't you can always pull it off.

Ok flame away.

Back