Gha in ultra low nutrient system

ReapersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this gha that came on the live rock I recieved, I thought for sure my cycle would kill it while cycling, but it hasn't, and now I have this problem, phosphate and nitrate are at 0 , tank is 3 months old, 40g breeder, I have 2 clowns in sump, one in display, a 6line wrasse, a a watchman goby, an emerald crab, a conch, 20 ceriths snails , 20 astrea snails, 13 hermits. I haven't done a water change since may28 , cut the skimmer off first week of June because I had dinos, however I found this crap is my issue, how can I resolve it in an already ultra low nutrient system??? Most things I'm finding are saying to lower nutrients, but mine are 0 bc this is sucking it all out
IMG_20210701_165233.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shut the lights off and add a little bit of phosphate removal media.

ULN is very challenging to maintain.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has .02 phos... I don't think I should remove any phos..?
Nope, it is good for now. I would probably leave the lights on and just keep removing gha to export the nutrients bound up with the rocks. Eventually the hard algae will grow in and the gha will fade.
Just part of a new tank.

dking271

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULN is how a 2 year battle with Dino started in a tank that’s been running for 10 years. I let my tank get filthy dirty and finally feel like I’m winning again. Is there a chance that the GHA rock is leaching phosphate? It could be your reading of 0 are due to consumption. I actually had to add phosphate and nitrate to bring my tank back into balance. I will never try to run an ULN tank again, it worked great until it didn’t. As mentioned above, cut back on lighting. I know of people who have had success dosing Vibrant, but other issues come up as that stuff is super powerful. If it were mine, I would try a series of 3 day blackouts with a strong clean up crew. On a more established tank I might borrow a Sea Hare because they plow through GHA better than anything I have ever seen. It would run out of food fast and starve which is why I say I’d borrow. Then a healthy clean up crew could keep it at bay.

Back