GHA..now Cyano? Dino? and Bryopsis :( lots of pictures!

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be the new normal for a lot of people. I blame most of these issues on the fact that tanks are not set up using live rock any. Dry rock and bottle bacteria dose not have the bacterial and micro fauna the live rock has. I just takes time and the right care approaches. We as a community are starting to learn the difficulties of a running a reef with dry rock, basically starting with a sterile system, and what needs to be done to solve and prevent these nasty algae and bacterial issues. Adding rock or sand from a mature system, adding pods which eat many types of algae bacterial diatoms dinos, keeping no3 and p04 in acceptable levels, even adding some ditritus for a mature system will all help to mature a new/young tank and help to reduce dinos and other nasty outbreaks. I too am fighting a nasty cyano bloom and hoping its not dinos. Good luck in the battle.

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be the new normal for a lot of people. I blame most of these issues on the fact that tanks are not set up using live rock any. Dry rock and bottle bacteria dose not have the bacterial and micro fauna the live rock has. I just takes time and the right care approaches. We as a community are starting to learn the difficulties of a running a reef with dry rock, basically starting with a sterile system, and what needs to be done to solve and prevent these nasty algae and bacterial issues. Adding rock or sand from a mature system, adding pods which eat many types of algae bacterial diatoms dinos, keeping no3 and p04 in acceptable levels, even adding some ditritus for a mature system will all help to mature a new/young tank and help to reduce dinos and other nasty outbreaks. I too am fighting a nasty cyano bloom and hoping its not dinos. Good luck in the battle.
Yup which is exactly what i started with haha, dry rock, and bottle bacteria! yup im still battling it and still havent been able to raise my nitrate or phosphate at all, im hoping you have better luck than i do! i cant wait to get past all this !

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back