GHA or bryopsis

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking this is bryopsis since it is a lot like turf grass. I put my first dose of Vibrant in yesterday. But reading some of the posts, it sounds like it may not work. Would it be harmful to go ahead and add some Phosphate Rx, or should I wait a while?

ECF1A561-A5F2-4423-8FD7-C61816E8E430.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Byropsis has a root structure making you have to "rip" it off and is feathery. Could you get a closer picture of it?

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is the case, then it has to be bryopsis. It is firmly attached to the rocks and it will not budge. I have tried mechanical removal but it is nearly impossible.
I forgot to mention my phosphate and nitrate levels. Phosphate is 0.06 and nitrate is around 8. So the levels are not that crazy.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Bryopsis to me looks more like a fern with feathery looking growth that is usually pretty apparent when you look closely. GHA looks like fuzzy hair or green cotton balls. I find it annoying to remove.

If it bothers you short term, use a water change hose to suck out water and attach a brush to the end. Pluck algae by placing it between your thumb and the hose and/or brush the area and let the host suck it up. You could also ramp up flow and filtration and scrub the rocks and change out socks when done (that’s what I do). Snails usually keep what is left in check.

I over feed to keep the water column full of food for everything so GHA is just something I manage on my terms.

Longer term you’ll need to adjust your nutrient input or use alternate methods of export (macro algae, etc).

I use chemicals for emergencies. But if you got time and the algae isn’t suffocating your inhabitants then you have options.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of snails and hermits in addition to a newly acquired urchin. I just set up a GFO reactor to help with any excess phosphate and have turned down my white lights for now.

It is not overrunning my corals just yet, but is coming close. Plus I have several on my frag rack that I want to mount but the area I want to mount them is covered in the bryopsis.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a type of turf algae. Bryposis has a firm and crispy rip to it if that makes sense (like ripping grass), Hair algae does have a grip but there is no crispy rip to it. There are tons of algae types possible. If the urchin doesn't eat it, you could possibly try fluconazole.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back