GHA outbreak!

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gone for about 3 weeks because I got deployed to Louisiana in the guard to help with hurricane relief, but when I came home the Algae has gotten SO BAD. Other than the obvious manual removal and water changes, what can I do to combat this hard and strong and get rid of it once and for all?

I turned on the bright whites to take the pictures

E78889BB-C110-46A1-AA83-AC679335BFD1.jpeg 41EA833E-C66F-4295-B03A-075BE33BA117.jpeg 4BA8FE4F-E667-4952-A3AA-09EB6A48C803.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure the question will be asked but what are your parameters? Lighting schedule? What do you think caused the situation? How old is the tank? Using RODI?

Might want to get an emerald crab or two to help out initially but really need to ID source that caused it to.

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure the question will be asked but what are your parameters? Lighting schedule? What do you think caused the situation? How old is the tank? Using RODI?

Might want to get an emerald crab or two to help out initially but really need to ID source that caused it to.
I was already battling it before and was trying to dose vibrant weekly but that fell through when I left my lights are on about 8 hours and I have them on 1% at night just as a night light kind of effect I don’t have a phosphate or alkalinity tester right now though, trying to catch up on bills so.. the tank is about 4 months old and yes I use Rodi! Not sure why it ever started, I think one of my rocks initially had it on there because one day a single rock started growing it all over so I removed it but I guess it was too late.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was already battling it before and was trying to dose vibrant weekly but that fell through when I left my lights are on about 8 hours and I have them on 1% at night just as a night light kind of effect I don’t have a phosphate or alkalinity tester right now though, trying to catch up on bills so.. the tank is about 4 months old and yes I use Rodi! Not sure why it ever started, I think one of my rocks initially had it on there because one day a single rock started growing it all over so I removed it but I guess it was too late.
4 months was about where I started seeing some GHA to and I learned that my nitrate and phosphate were bottomed out. I removed my chemipure and was just using bag of carbon and skimmer now. I dose phosphate and nitrates to get numbers up. GHA very minimal now. Have your LFS check your water. Manual remove as much as you can. Emerald crab the rest and check your parameters via your LFS. If no corals, limit light time also. Shouldn't be that hard to recover.

PooseReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was battling some GHA on an established tank. Had been taking a break from GFO but think that it can only be used to maintain low phosphate not resolve a problem like this.

My nitrates are about 7.5PPM and measuring phosphates is always a crapshoot b/c the uptake is so quick especially with that much algae present. I only use my hanna checker on the effluent from my GFO reactor, and change the media when it gets above zero. If you have reasonable Nitrates and algae then you dont even need to measure phosphates.... they are too high.

Try Phosphate RX (lanthinum chloride) I used 10 drops a day on 90 gallon tank for a week and the algae was DECIMATED. It even died on my algae scrubber. Probably even went overboard now that im evaluating the situation. Im currently using NoPox and tried Vibrant (garbage) but this is the second time Phosphate RX has fixed an algae problem for me. BRS has for $30 bucks, but even that small amount will take care of a BIG tank.

I will stop using now and just maintain with GFO but the Phosphate RX got me out of a jam big time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back