GHA problem

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am battling a GHA problem and have been for a couple of months now. This tank has given me all sorts of problems it seems like. Within the first few months of it being cycled, byropsis almost made me throw in the towel. Byropsis was by far the worst thing I've had to battle in all the tanks I've had up, but this GHA problem is really wearing at me. I've had GHA problems in the past with other tanks but I always got in under control.

So for the basics:
System:
40breeder w/30g sump
Refugium w/LR rubble and chaeto.
INS80 skimmer
TLF reactor w/GFO

Stocking:
1 tomini tang
3 green chromosome
1 clown
A decent sized CUC

Params:
Trates: around 0-5
Phosphates: 0 (salifert)
Ammonia: 0
Trites: 0

So far, I've used the basics methods to try and rid of the GHA (blackout, feed less, scrub rock) and no luck. I try injecting patches with hydrogen. I upped my dosage of GFO. Upped my water change schedule. Have spent hours manually removing it and it keeps coming back. This round with GHA is honestly more stubborn than byropsis.

I have looked into algae removal chemicals but that seems to just be a quick fix. There has to be something that is causing this. I thought it may be my water source, which I get from my LFS, and he uses the same source in all of his tanks and has very minimal algae.

This has been a very discouraging battle and need some help!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nusiance algae has to have nutrients in order to grow. You have to find the source. I how found that sometimes local fish stores tend to run alot of water through there ro systems without testing. If they don't test,change filters and membranes they can pass phosphates. I would test the source water first to see if it has phosphates.

briany66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used API Marine algae fix. 5 treatments over 15 days knocked mine out. Now just a maintenance dose once a week with gfo and weekly 10% water changes. No signs of it returning.

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nusiance algae has to have nutrients in order to grow. You have to find the source. I how found that sometimes local fish stores tend to run alot of water through there ro systems without testing. If they don't test,change filters and membranes they can pass phosphates. I would test the source water first to see if it has phosphates.

Well I don't think it is the LFS ro/di because he has hardly no algae in his tanks and he uses the same source..

Is there any possible way it could have something to do with my mixing bucket?

I am really considering using of the many "algae fix" supplements out there but would prefer finding the source.

What is the vodka method? Are you referring to carbon dosing or something different?

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to top of page where it says search type in carbon dosing and it will give you all the info you need to learn about carbon dosing.

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to top of page where it says search type in carbon dosing and it will give you all the info you need to learn about carbon dosing.

Wait, there's a search bar on this website?? I wasn't asking what carbon dosing was, I was asking what the vodka method is to take care of GHA. I kind of know what vodka dosing (carbon dosing) is and I must be misunderstanding what it does. I didn't know it could single handedly take care of GHA problems. I honestly never thought of Carbon dosing to take care of this problem, but the more I think about it it does make some sense.

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have been looking into carbon dosing, more specific vinegar vs. Vodka dosing. I'm thinking of giving carbon dosing a go but could use some clarity. There's so much to read on it and so many different opinions on it as well as methods of dosing that tying to grasp all of it has my brain in a jumble.

Hopefully someone will chime in and help me out.

What is the best way to dose it without a doser? I have an ATO and have been reading people mix vinegar in their ATO reservoir. Also, I was talking to a guy at my LFS and he said he used to inject vodka into his sand bed...

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka Dosing is used for lowering Nitrates, not for lowering phospahtes, or getting rid of GHA.
How old is your Salifert kit for testing? Did you have your water tested by someone else? Whats the TDS on the water being used?

You don't inject Vodka into the sand bed, you just use a medicinal syringe with MLS and just shoot it into the tank.. You can use vinegar in the ATO, but they use that with kawlk. You generally don't leave the carbon dosing in a container as it start to grow the bacteria right away, and becomes useless.
Green Hair Algae can be conquered!

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka Dosing is used for lowering Nitrates, not for lowering phospahtes, or getting rid of GHA.
How old is your Salifert kit for testing? Did you have your water tested by someone else? Whats the TDS on the water being used?

You don't inject Vodka into the sand bed, you just use a medicinal syringe with MLS and just shoot it into the tank.. You can use vinegar in the ATO, but they use that with kawlk. You generally don't leave the carbon dosing in a container as it start to grow the bacteria right away, and becomes useless.

My test kit is barely a year old. I did have it tested by someone else and everything checked out fine. I'm not sure what the current TDS is on the water source but will find out soon.

See I didn't think carbon dosing was for GHA removal. This thread was supposed to be about GHA and not carbon dosing. So, thank you for the link ReefingMadness.

Do many of you have experience with Kents Phosphate Sponge?

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for my rock to be leaching phosphates still? The rock has been cured and in my tank for just over a year...

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely your rock, but its not totally out of the question.
Ive used Brightwell Phosphate E, and am currently using SeaKlear for pools. The SeaKlear is cheaper by how much you use ver the aquarium product.

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Well I just ordered the phosphate sponge. All the reviews say it's great so hopefully it will help out!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I beg to differ Redsea Nopox claims it will reduce Phosphates and Nitrates and that is carbon dosing. The fine control of the nitrate and phosphate levels provided by monitored dosing of NO3: PO4-X guarantees the gradual changes and accurate maintenance of the nutrient levels. From Redsea Website.

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beg to differ Redsea Nopox claims it will reduce Phosphates and Nitrates and that is carbon dosing. The fine control of the nitrate and phosphate levels provided by monitored dosing of NO3: PO4-X guarantees the gradual changes and accurate maintenance of the nutrient levels. From Redsea Website.

I was reading up on their product earlier today and that's what I took from it too..

Carbon dosing promotes growth of denitrafing bacteria, correct? I understand that as carbon dosing helps create bacteria to break down nitrates and phosphates, a.k.a. creates a beneficial algae consume NO3 and PO4. Am I wrong on this?

Researching about carbon dosing has me slightly confused.

But again, this thread is NOT about carbon dosing.... Well unless carbon dosing is a good method of battling GHA hahaha.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct and if you watch there videos they can explain the benifits better than i can. Beleive me i have been using for about a year now and i have no algae issues. Not only does it control algae but it also good for the corals. Please watch there videos these people know there stuff.

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct and if you watch there videos they can explain the benifits better than i can. Beleive me i have been using for about a year now and i have no algae issues. Not only does it control algae but it also good for the corals. Please watch there videos these people know there stuff.

You've been using NO3/PO4 - X or Red Sea products in general ooorrr just a source of carbon? I use their salt and absolutely love it. I've used others but nothing compares to RSCP..

I ordered Kents Phosphate Sponge like i said but now after reading more i am worried that my SPS may be effected by lowering PO4 too fast. Am i being paranoid??

I just read that green colored algae is a caused by high nitrates and that BROWN algae is caused by high phosphates. How true is this? I always thought brown algaes, like diatoms and brown slime, was cause by silicates. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

FWIW, I just tested my PO4 via Salifert and came out as 0...

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they claim it will do and what it actually does are 2 different things. And if it doesn't contain a GFO, or Aluminum, or a lanthanum-base of something, how would it remove Phosphates.
Did you really look it up yet? There are alot of people that would rather use Vodka versus that stuff, because it didnt' remove the phosphates like claimed.

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they claim it will do and what it actually does are 2 different things. And if it doesn't contain a GFO, or Aluminum, or a lanthanum-base of something, how would it remove Phosphates.
Did you really look it up yet? There are alot of people that would rather use Vodka versus that stuff, because it didnt' remove the phosphates like claimed.

This is straight from their website and product description:
NO3: PO4-X is a unique complex of carbons that are used by nutrient reducing bacteria. Each carbon in the complex is utilized by different strains of microorganisms while ensuring the specific Carbon:Nitrogen:phosphorus ratio required for each stage.

The complex includes other organic-bonded elements that are important stimulators in each stage of the reduction process. These metal and non-metals elements ensure steady bacterial propagation, complete nitrate reduction to nitrogen gas as well as the absorption and utilization of phosphate by the bacteria.

The fine control of the nitrate and phosphate levels provided by monitored dosing of NO3: PO4-X guarantees the gradual changes and accurate maintenance of the nutrient levels. This prevents the destruction of the Zooxanthellae population that can cause UV shock and starvation of the corals.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back