GHL for Dummies // How to Create a Feed Pause and Maintenance Pause with a Skimmer Delay & More!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to start making some helpful processes in layman's terms for other fellow reefers. I decided to complete this process through GHL Connect vs. Control Center (I'm a Mac user and prefer to do things without having to touch Windows if I can help it). I hope that you guys find this useful. :)

Going to cover the following:
- Create a feed pause
- Create and setup maintenance mode
- Create delay for feed pause
- Create delay for maintenance mode
- Combine feed pause / maintenance mode delay into one function using Programming Logic
- Assign the single Programming Logic function (w/combined delays) to a skimmer

PRO TIP : Make sure you're regularly hitting save throughout this process!

1. Log on to GHL Connect (either via app or internet browser) and click on your P4 Controller.
Step 1.png

2. Click on Menu to access Feed Pause section.
Step 2.png

3. Click on Extras and then click on Feed Pause.
Step 3a.png
Step 3b.png

4. Here’s where you’ll create and edit all Feed Pause (1 through 4) options.
  • Filter Off : You’ll select this if what you want is for items to turn OFF when Feed Pause is activated (I’ll show you how to choose those items in the next step).
  • Duration : This is how long (in minutes) you want the Feed Pause to last.
  • Timer Activates : You’ll select this if you want a specific timer to activate with the Feed Pause. In this example, we don’t want to use it.
  • Description : This is what you want to name the Feed Pause. In my case, I’ve named it “Feed Fish”. This is what you’ll see on the dashboard under the Feed Pause section as well.
  • Start/Stop : You can actually start and stop the Feed Pause within the app/browser.
Step 4.png

5. Now that you’ve created your Feed Pause, let’s choose the switch channels that you want to control with this Feed Pause. Go back to the Main Menu and click on Switch Channels.
Step 5.png

6. Here you’ll see a list of all of the items you have plugged into your PowerBars.
Step 6.png

7. You’ll have to click on each individual item that you want to be affected when Feed Pause is activated. Once you’ve selected your first item, you’re going to want to edit the “Function” section. Make sure you select “Filter”. This actually means “Feed Pause”. Also, make sure you select the correct number that corresponds with the Feed Pause that you want this item to be associated with. In this case, it’s 1, for Feed Pause 1. Now, do this for all items that you want the Feed Pause to control. When you get to your skimmer, just select “Filter 1” for now. We will be updating it again later on.
Step 7.png

8. Feed Pause is complete (for now)! Time to create our first Maintenance Mode. In my case, I want this maintenance mode to act the same way as the Feed Pause, except it’s much longer. Go back to the menu and select Extras and then select Maintenance/Power Cut.
Step 8a.png
Step 8b.png

9. You have 4 options for Maintenance/Power Cut. For the purposes of this example, I'm choosing Maintenance 1.
Step 9.png

10. Click on Description and name this Maintenance Mode what you'd like. For this example, I named it “Water Change” because I want to use this Maintenance Mode when I perform water changes on my tank. Also, edit the “Duration” section as well. This is how long the Maintenance Mode will last once activated. Once complete, click on “Sockets”. This is where we will select what is on/off during this mode.
Step 10.png

11. Once you click on “Sockets”, you’ll see this pop up. Make sure you click the box on the left of each item if you want it to be affected. On the right, you’ll either select whether you want it on or off during this mode.
Step 11.png

12. Now comes the fun part! I want to make sure the skimmer turns on 3 minutes after Feed Pause and Maintenance Mode are complete. Go back to the main menu and select “Programmable Logic”.
Step 12.png

13. Now we’re going to set up “Programmable Logic 1” to create the 180s delay that we want to use. Click on “Programmable Logic 1”.
Step 13.png

14. Once you’re on the menu for “Programmable Logic 1”, you’re going to want to edit three areas. Under “Function”, you’re going to want to select “Filter”. Again, remember that Filter means Feed Pause. Once you select Filter, make sure that you select which Feed Pause you want associated with this. In my case it’s 1. Next, edit the “Operator” section. You’re going to want to select “Delayed On”. This means exactly what it says… delay the power on to a particular item. Now, under duration, enter the delay in seconds. In my case, I want a delay of 3 minutes so I entered 180 seconds. Make sure you hit Save.
Step 14.png

15. Now hit the back arrow and select “Programmable Logic 2”. We’re going to go through the exact same process as above, but for our Maintenance Mode 1. Under “Function”, you’re going to want to select “Maintenance”. Once you select Maintenance, make sure that you select which Maintenance Mode you want associated with this. In my case it’s 1. Next, edit the “Operator” section. You’re going to want to select “Delayed Off”. Now, under duration, enter the delay in seconds. In my case, I want a delay of 3 minutes so I entered 180 seconds. Make sure you hit Save.
Step 15.png

16. Now on to “Programmable Logic 3.” You’re probably wondering why we have to create another one. It’s because you now have to tell the Profilux how to act for the two functions you just created. Under “Function” you’re going to want to select “Programmable Logic”. Make sure you select 1 to the right of it (this one is the one that tells the Skimmer to delay turning on 180s after Feed Pause). Then under Operator, choose “AND”. This will allow you to add another Programmable Logic to this function. Once the next “Function” shows up, choose “Programmable Logic” and make sure you select 2 to the right of it (this one is the one that tells the Skimmer to delay turning on 180s after Maintenance Mode). Then you’ll need to select “Invert”. Make sure you hit Save.
Step 16.png

17. Now that we have all of the Programmable Logic set up, let’s make sure the Skimmer knows how it needs to respond. Click on the back arrow to get to the main menu and click on “Switch Channels”. Click on your Skimmer. Under “Function” select “Programmable Logic”. Make sure you select 3 to the right of it.
Step 17.png

18. And voila! You have set up a delay for your Feed Pause and Maintenance Mode. Time to celebrate!

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I love Feed mode, it takes to long to open the app, connect and hit the button. A simple little push button switch as an option would be great. It could be mounted anywhere (on a hood, inside a cabinet, etc).

When I get around to it I will probably just hand mount a float switch somewhere I can just "activate" and program it to do the same as a feed mode (activate a timer and switches)

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I love Feed mode, it takes to long to open the app, connect and hit the button. A simple little push button switch as an option would be great. It could be mounted anywhere (on a hood, inside a cabinet, etc).

When I get around to it I will probably just hand mount a float switch somewhere I can just "activate" and program it to do the same as a feed mode (activate a timer and switches)

We have the Profilux Touch, and it has a button on it just like you're saying. That's what we use. It's great!

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can enter feed mode from the front panel of the P4 by pressing the "X". Then you will see Start 1, 2, 3 and 4. Each one corresponds to the feed modes. Select the one you want, then press the check mark to enter that feed mode. You can exit the feed mode before the time is up by performing the same.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only real area I wish there was some refinement. The automation background of profilux is great at almost everything, but PL layering turns into spaghetti so quickly.

Great guide.

dr.fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 questions for you:

1. is it mandatory that your pump be on filter mode? because mine is in fill water mode because i have controle by a float switch in case of overflow by skimmer.
2. if i only want to have a delay of 3 minutes after the maintenance, can i just do water fill 3 delayed on 180S?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 questions for you:

1. is it mandatory that your pump be on filter mode? because mine is in fill water mode because i have controle by a float switch in case of overflow by skimmer.
2. i dont understand the part you have to include a delayed off mode also

Thanks!

Not sure I understand the question, but @Vinny@GHLUSA can you chime in?

dr.fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i only want to have a delay of 3 minutes after the maintenance, can i just do , in programmabe logic, water fill 3 (skimmer pump) delayed on 180S?

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i only want to have a delay of 3 minutes after the maintenance, can i just do , in programmabe logic, water fill 3 (skimmer pump) delayed on 180S?
Yes.
You can assign any function which should be delayed. In this case you want the ATO function (Fill water), so you'd choose Fill water and select the correct control circuit number.

schaNYC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Need some help here..

1. Return pump is powered by a separate power strip (non power bar socket)
2. Return pump connected to P4 via 0-10v port
3. Skimmer on powerbar socket

Trying to do the following:
1. Shut off return pump and skimmer during both feed pause and maintenance
2. Apply delayed start on just the skimmer when either feed pause/maintenance ends

I think I need to use some combination of PL and have the return pump assigned to a stream group to power down completely?

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I wanted to make a separate feed mode that only turned off the skimmer, how would I do that since the skimmer is programed to listen to only that 3rd programmable logic?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can stack program logics together so adding a second program logic that is paired with the first one.

For Example:
Program Logic 3 would change for example to Filter mode 1 and then place for second option you would say AND Program Logic 4 (For example) you would have replaced what use to be there. Then you would go into Program Logic 4 and say Filter mode 3 and Maintenance 1. I was not sure what your program Logic 3 said :)

RickSanford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automatically dose Coral Aminos during a Feed Pause? Running the Profilux 4 and 2.1 Slave doser.

Thankfully there is already a GHL for Dummies thread to post this question to. I want to be able to automatically dose 6ml of coral aminos while my return pump and skimmer are off but while the gyre pumps are still running during a feed pause. If I dose on a set schedule but don't turn the skimmer off - it will remove the aminos from my system.

I will configure the Feed Pause #2 button for this function since I only want to dose the aminos every third day.

Programming advice sought. Still not fluent with the Programmable Logic configurations.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back