GHL for Dummies // How to Create a Feed Pause and Maintenance Pause with a Skimmer Delay & More!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can stack program logics together so adding a second program logic that is paired with the first one.

For Example:
Program Logic 3 would change for example to Filter mode 1 and then place for second option you would say AND Program Logic 4 (For example) you would have replaced what use to be there. Then you would go into Program Logic 4 and say Filter mode 3 and Maintenance 1. I was not sure what your program Logic 3 said :)

I I set the PL 1-3 up just like your guide. The feed more and maintence mode both turn off the skimmer, return, and ATO. Skimmer and ARO are delayed. I'm still not quite sure I understand how to add another PL to isolate the skimmer.

Last edited:

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using p1-p3 for multiple devices or just the skimmer?
If you using it for say both your skimmer and return pump then your going to need to replicate p1-P3 for the skimmer and add another logic to it.

So for example replicate p1 to p11, p2 to p12 and p3 to 13. So now you have the same logic again as p1 - p3. Just make sure when your programming p11 you tie it to p12 and p12 you tie to p13 and if you program something more for the skimmer tie p13 to p14 and do your new logic for the skimmer on p14.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rahger
We have an article which explains how PL gates work when you want to combine 2 functions or more than 3 functions to a single Powerbar outlet. Take a look at the examples.

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way to also include a dosing pump?
I'm using a doser to handle my ATO, so would like this to turn off as well during maintenance.
I could turn of there entire doser through the socket, but would rather have it not pumping during maintenance mode.

Infern0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to start making some helpful processes in layman's terms for other fellow reefers. I decided to complete this process through GHL Connect vs. Control Center (I'm a Mac user and prefer to do things without having to touch Windows if I can help it). I hope that you guys find this useful. :)

Going to cover the following:
- Create a feed pause
- Create and setup maintenance mode
- Create delay for feed pause
- Create delay for maintenance mode
- Combine feed pause / maintenance mode delay into one function using Programming Logic
- Assign the single Programming Logic function (w/combined delays) to a skimmer

PRO TIP : Make sure you're regularly hitting save throughout this process!

1. Log on to GHL Connect (either via app or internet browser) and click on your P4 Controller.
Step 1.png

2. Click on Menu to access Feed Pause section.
Step 2.png

3. Click on Extras and then click on Feed Pause.
Step 3a.png
Step 3b.png

4. Here’s where you’ll create and edit all Feed Pause (1 through 4) options.
  • Filter Off : You’ll select this if what you want is for items to turn OFF when Feed Pause is activated (I’ll show you how to choose those items in the next step).
  • Duration : This is how long (in minutes) you want the Feed Pause to last.
  • Timer Activates : You’ll select this if you want a specific timer to activate with the Feed Pause. In this example, we don’t want to use it.
  • Description : This is what you want to name the Feed Pause. In my case, I’ve named it “Feed Fish”. This is what you’ll see on the dashboard under the Feed Pause section as well.
  • Start/Stop : You can actually start and stop the Feed Pause within the app/browser.
Step 4.png

5. Now that you’ve created your Feed Pause, let’s choose the switch channels that you want to control with this Feed Pause. Go back to the Main Menu and click on Switch Channels.
Step 5.png

6. Here you’ll see a list of all of the items you have plugged into your PowerBars.
Step 6.png

7. You’ll have to click on each individual item that you want to be affected when Feed Pause is activated. Once you’ve selected your first item, you’re going to want to edit the “Function” section. Make sure you select “Filter”. This actually means “Feed Pause”. Also, make sure you select the correct number that corresponds with the Feed Pause that you want this item to be associated with. In this case, it’s 1, for Feed Pause 1. Now, do this for all items that you want the Feed Pause to control. When you get to your skimmer, just select “Filter 1” for now. We will be updating it again later on.
Step 7.png

8. Feed Pause is complete (for now)! Time to create our first Maintenance Mode. In my case, I want this maintenance mode to act the same way as the Feed Pause, except it’s much longer. Go back to the menu and select Extras and then select Maintenance/Power Cut.
Step 8a.png
Step 8b.png

9. You have 4 options for Maintenance/Power Cut. For the purposes of this example, I'm choosing Maintenance 1.
Step 9.png

10. Click on Description and name this Maintenance Mode what you'd like. For this example, I named it “Water Change” because I want to use this Maintenance Mode when I perform water changes on my tank. Also, edit the “Duration” section as well. This is how long the Maintenance Mode will last once activated. Once complete, click on “Sockets”. This is where we will select what is on/off during this mode.
Step 10.png

11. Once you click on “Sockets”, you’ll see this pop up. Make sure you click the box on the left of each item if you want it to be affected. On the right, you’ll either select whether you want it on or off during this mode.
Step 11.png

12. Now comes the fun part! I want to make sure the skimmer turns on 3 minutes after Feed Pause and Maintenance Mode are complete. Go back to the main menu and select “Programmable Logic”.
Step 12.png

13. Now we’re going to set up “Programmable Logic 1” to create the 180s delay that we want to use. Click on “Programmable Logic 1”.
Step 13.png

14. Once you’re on the menu for “Programmable Logic 1”, you’re going to want to edit three areas. Under “Function”, you’re going to want to select “Filter”. Again, remember that Filter means Feed Pause. Once you select Filter, make sure that you select which Feed Pause you want associated with this. In my case it’s 1. Next, edit the “Operator” section. You’re going to want to select “Delayed On”. This means exactly what it says… delay the power on to a particular item. Now, under duration, enter the delay in seconds. In my case, I want a delay of 3 minutes so I entered 180 seconds. Make sure you hit Save.
Step 14.png

15. Now hit the back arrow and select “Programmable Logic 2”. We’re going to go through the exact same process as above, but for our Maintenance Mode 1. Under “Function”, you’re going to want to select “Maintenance”. Once you select Maintenance, make sure that you select which Maintenance Mode you want associated with this. In my case it’s 1. Next, edit the “Operator” section. You’re going to want to select “Delayed Off”. Now, under duration, enter the delay in seconds. In my case, I want a delay of 3 minutes so I entered 180 seconds. Make sure you hit Save.
Step 15.png

16. Now on to “Programmable Logic 3.” You’re probably wondering why we have to create another one. It’s because you now have to tell the Profilux how to act for the two functions you just created. Under “Function” you’re going to want to select “Programmable Logic”. Make sure you select 1 to the right of it (this one is the one that tells the Skimmer to delay turning on 180s after Feed Pause). Then under Operator, choose “AND”. This will allow you to add another Programmable Logic to this function. Once the next “Function” shows up, choose “Programmable Logic” and make sure you select 2 to the right of it (this one is the one that tells the Skimmer to delay turning on 180s after Maintenance Mode). Then you’ll need to select “Invert”. Make sure you hit Save.
Step 16.png

17. Now that we have all of the Programmable Logic set up, let’s make sure the Skimmer knows how it needs to respond. Click on the back arrow to get to the main menu and click on “Switch Channels”. Click on your Skimmer. Under “Function” select “Programmable Logic”. Make sure you select 3 to the right of it.
Step 17.png

18. And voila! You have set up a delay for your Feed Pause and Maintenance Mode. Time to celebrate!

tenor.gif
Hello, so I´ve follow all the steps for my Skimmer and ATO and now both are OFF all the time, not just for the feed pause . Programmable logic 1,2 and 3 are for my skimmer ; 4,5 and 6 for my ATO
image_2021-01-05_150113.png
OFF...any ideea where might be the problem..?

planescape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so I´ve follow all the steps for my Skimmer and ATO and now both are OFF all the time, not just for the feed pause . Programmable logic 1,2 and 3 are for my skimmer ; 4,5 and 6 for my ATO

Hi, maybe I am little late but I have tested this configuration and it is OK. Skimmer goes off when feed 1 or maintanance 1 go on. When they go off, skimmer goes on after 1800s delay.

Did you assign programmable logic 3 to your skimmer's socket?

CryptoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come you setup feed as delayed on and then maintenance as delayed off with an invert can you not set both commands to delayed on?

Riqaq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am trying to setup feed pause 2 as an extended pause. I already have Feed Pause 1 and my Maintenance Modes setup. If you can only set up each outlet to one function, how can I utilize Feed Pause 2, 3, 4?
Multiple layers of programmable logic, I love it. ;Dead

Last edited:

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why am i selecting invert here?
Screenshot_20211205-001422_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I get i have to in order for this to work, but what is reason "invert" needs to be selected here?

Trying to understand when things need to be inverted or not.....

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come you setup feed as delayed on and then maintenance as delayed off with an invert can you not set both commands to delayed on?
Reviving this thread, I have the same question... Isn't delayed on the same as delayed off with an invert?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread, I have the same question... Isn't delayed on the same as delayed off with an invert?
Without being an expert, I think the answer is, it depends on function. On/Off is not the same for every function;
Filter active = 0
Maintenance active = 1
So inverted/delayed on/off is not always the same as it depends on function.

I find GHL to be completely illogical, and clearly made by programmers not thinking about the userbility at all.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without being an expert, I think the answer is, it depends on function. On/Off is not the same for every function;
Filter active = 0
Maintenance active = 1

I find GHL to be completely illogical, and clearly made by programmers not thinking about the userbility at all.
Rather, I find that programmable logics are perfectly aptly named.
The "Filter" function has a history, GHL has always wanted to maintain maximum backward compatibility and has never radically changed the way of setting things up. I haven't checked but I guess with firsts ProfiLux generations, there were no programmable logics, when the programmable logics were added the previous operation was kept.
So the initial goal was that when you start a feed pause the aquarium filter turns off, so you just had to assign the "Filter" function to the corresponding socket.
If the user does not want the filter to turn off, he can uncheck the "Filter Off" box in the feed pause settings.
Since then, the "Filter" function is used to retrieve the status of a feed pause in the programmable logics:
When the Filter function is active it means that the feed pause is not active and vice versa.
This is why no "Feed pause" function has been created.

Gaël

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather, I find that programmable logics are perfectly aptly named.
Many things are created much more confusing than needed.
Fan breeze as an example:
-------------------------
Here is the formula used to calculate the point for when the fans will turn ON:
T = Nominal value + (Hysteresis * 0.83) + Cooling difference

For example, if the desired temperature is set to 77°F with a hysteresis of 0.36°F and a cooling difference of 0°F, the PropellerBreeze fan will turn ON when the temperature reaches 77.3°F.

Nominal value = 77° F
Hysteresis = 0.36° F
Cooling difference = 0° F
--------------------------------------

It would be much easier just to set a fix temperature forn ON - like 77.2F

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For example, if the desired temperature is set to 77°F with a hysteresis of 0.36°F and a cooling difference of 0°F, the PropellerBreeze fan will turn ON when the temperature reaches 77.3°F.

Nominal value = 77° F
Hysteresis = 0.36° F

Well no, because you reason with simple needs, for example how do those who use dynamic nominal value in this case?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no, because you reason with simple needs, for example how do those who use dynamic nominal value in this case?
It is simple needs.
Why would I need dynamic values for temperature control settings?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter active = 0
Maintenance active = 1

This is the part i missed in the manual that would of made my learning of the programming much easier. Once I figured it out then the logic of what was happening made sense to me.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nominal value = 77° F
Hysteresis = 0.36° F
You miss the meaning with hysteresis. Hysteresis is the values of an on/off function. In most cases where Profilux use hysteresis it means that the temperature will vary around the nominal value with ± 1/2 actual hysteresis. If I have a heater connected to my temperature probe and use 77°F and hysteresis 0.36°F it means that the heater will go on at 76.82 and off at 77.18. Now you want to use the same probe for manage the chilling (fans) and not have the heater and chilling fans working against each other. Therefor profilux use the hysteresis * 0.83 as a factor for the chilling to going on. The heater have already switch off before the cooling fan switch on. When temperature reach the nominal value - the cooling fan turns off. If temperature decrease more - the heater turns on at 76.82. If you want to have more differences between the heater turning off and cooling fan turning on - you can use cooling differences. The profilux has also advanced features that can use two type of heaters - bottom substrate heaters and normal "rod" heaters there most of the works will be done by the substrate heaters and only using the "rod" heaters in worst case. And all of this with only one probe and not have the different things working against each other

I will say that the constructers of the temperature regulation of profilux has used the space between the ears more than 2 times in order to create a temperature regulation of world class.

If you want to learn Boolean programming for each outlet - yes (there is brands that use programming for easy tasks like temperature regulation) Profilux has its regulation inbuild in the program - no need of individual programming - just use the function

And Profilux have more inbuild functions for temperature regulation - among them an good working PI function there it is possible to hold the temperature very stable Below is my temperature curve for the last week there I rise my temperature from 24 to 25,4 degree C and back to 24.4 degree C. The temperature decrease in the black circle is caused by an outer temp of - 8 degree C and that the distant heating system break down during these hours. My heater did not manage with only 16 degree C in the room. But as you can see - my temperature is stable - and its because of the function pulse variable for the heater

1671201166189.png

The use of dynamic nominal values is not yet applied in P4 as I know it (it works for P3 between different probes but not with a table)

Going back to the invert function. As an example - I want my heater to shout down if I get any alarms. My PL will be:

Temperature 1 increase and alarm (inverted)

Alarm inverted is the same as no alarm. When you use inverted - it simply mean that just that function should not be active. If I have a refugium that should have light when my main light is off and I use illumination 1 for my main light - I simply use the function illumination 1 inverted for my refugium light. The command inverted is a powerful tool but when you combine different PL:s you need to have your tung right in your mouth in order not to invert the inverted :)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back