GHL ION Director in-action at Reefapalooza Orlando (Video)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RAP Orlando was a huge success!

The ION Director was very well received as booth visitors came by to see the final product up-close and in-action. From a working model to a live demonstration showing results from a working tank, we showed it all. We even released details on 2 new features that will be ready on day 1 of launch:
  • IOND Double-check
  • Automated MUI sensor performance check
20210515_122606.jpg

Couldn't make it to the show? Don't worry!
Richard from Afishonado Channel was kind enough to drop by and record a spotlight video so everyone can get the latest scoop on the IOND.

A huge thank you goes out to Reefs.com and Asfishonado Channel for the video!

Want to get a sneak peek at the production process?
ION Director production is in full swing and ready to ship from Germany in a few more days!
In the meantime, we're sharing photos of the production process on our Instagram page. Check it out!

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@midwestreef - the chart works without any issues and see it on the video at 5:21 and even adds additional points onto the chart during the video presentation.

Last edited:

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yearly running costs, 2x $129 Probes + 4x $52 test solution == $466/year, not including initial costs.

Irongolem411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to get the replacement cost of that sensor down. 1 time per year I can bite. 2 times per year at that price it becomes a non-starter.

OP
OP
Vinny@GHLUSA

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People seem to have skipped the part where it was said the sensor lasts a minimum of 6 months. :confused:

If your water contains high organics or is very dirty, it will put more wear on the sensor. At that point maybe you'll get 6 months out of it, maybe longer, but it also means there's room to improve the quality of the water thereby extending the life of the sensor. Nonetheless, the automated sensor performance check is there to take the guesswork out of when it's time to replace it.

@Irongolem411 The IOND may not be the product for you then. It all comes down to how much one values the convenience of automated testing and adjustments for 5 parameters. If you have the time to consistently do your own manual testing the exact same way, record data and adjust your dosages accordingly each time, great! Otherwise, you can have the IOND take the weight off your shoulders and count on it to do the testing for you at the same time everyday, with high precision. Either way, you have options.

Irongolem411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also keep an acropora dominant tank, so my parameters are pretty tight (<5 nitrate < .05 phosphate)

@Vinny@GHLUSA I work for a Fortune 500 company in industrial automation in embedded software, so I am all about this type of stuff . Has marketing considered targeting certain organic levels and putting a chart with a life range on it? Or we getting Into the realm of pushing it?

OP
OP
Vinny@GHLUSA

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A table would assume a specific set of ionic and organic concentrations in water which is not a realistic scenario because every tank has varying amounts and combinations in the water, all which change based on Salinity. A table cannot take into account all possible outcomes or assume a hyperspecific scenario.

The data collected during testing has allowed for us to take into account a wider range of what's possible and based on that we can provide a minimum life expectancy.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yearly running costs, 2x $129 Probes + 4x $52 test solution == $466/year, not including initial costs.

So, don't buy it then if you don't think it adds enough value. Simple. It's only worth it if you decide that the value it adds is worth the cost, like any piece of equipment for our tanks. And that evaluation of added value will vary from person to person depending on what they are looking for and therefore what they are willing to pay for it...

Manual testing of the parameters tested by the ION Director and then manual adjustment of the the dosing accordingly works just as well, as long as your testing regimen is vigorous and repeatable.

To each his/her own. I'm going to try the ION Director. If it doesn't end up having the added value I'm expecting of it then I will go back to manual. But given my experience with GHL products so far, and that despite bugs that I've run into which have been resolved by GHL (sometimes slower than I would like), my impression is that they do their best to balance quality product and revenue numbers...

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The software looks very polished and the system looks great. Like other people I think the probe lifespan is an important factor in most peoples buying decision.
I know lots of guys on here have money to burn, so for them it will not be an issue but for the rest of us it will be. If the unit did PO4 then the probe lifespan would not be as much of a factor but since the main AWT innovation feature is NO3 alone it becomes a little more of a hard sell. None the less I expect that they will sell very well.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, don't buy it then if you don't think it adds enough value. Simple. It's only worth it if you decide that the value it adds is worth the cost, like any piece of equipment for our tanks. And that evaluation of added value will vary from person to person depending on what they are looking for and therefore what they are willing to pay for it...

Manual testing of the parameters tested by the ION Director and then manual adjustment of the the dosing accordingly works just as well, as long as your testing regimen is vigorous and repeatable.

To each his/her own. I'm going to try the ION Director. If it doesn't end up having the added value I'm expecting of it then I will go back to manual. But given my experience with GHL products so far, and that despite bugs that I've run into which have been resolved by GHL (sometimes slower than I would like), my impression is that they do their best to balance quality product and revenue numbers...
Hm. Reviewing my post, I don't see anything negative, or positive for that matter... or opinion of any sort. I never said it was, or wasn't a good value, just did some quick math, for my own benefit, really, but posted it to save others the trouble.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm. Reviewing my post, I don't see anything negative, or positive for that matter... or opinion of any sort. I never said it was, or wasn't a good value, just did some quick math, for my own benefit, really, but posted it to save others the trouble.

Yes, my apologies... in rereading in my post it does seem to come across in the wrong way!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 113 57.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.7%
Back