GHL KHD and Doser 2.1 mounting below AIO tank

GalaxyBenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all -

I apologize if this is a repeat question, but I've searched all over GHL Support Forum, Reef2Reef and the internet in general and can't find an answer. I have an AIO tank and I just got Profilux 4, KHD, Doser 2.1 setup. Clearly I'd prefer to mount all the controller stuff in the cabinet under my tank, but for the KHD to work I'll need to run a line UP to the sump section of my AIO tank and obviously that line will need to be fully submersed into the tank water so that it can get a water sample. I'm obviously concerned though that I'll end up forming a siphon and draining a bunch of tank water into the stand (through the vent line?).

Anyway, the question is, is it acceptable to mound the KHD and doser 2.1 BELOW the tank level?

I thought I read somewhere that the KHD actually empties the sample line each time (pumping it back into the tank after it fills the chamber, hence why it needs to know the exact volume of the line). So perhaps that in and of itself will break the siphon?

Your advice is very much appreciate. I'm super excited to get everything setup.

Cheers!
David

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with the KHD, but both the sample and waste lines on my Neptune Trident go above the height of the Trident to the sump and waste container - so there shouldn't be any issues with pulling water out of your AIO sump for sampling.

Rob3D2018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the KH Director slightly below the tank. I have not had any issues with draining back I to the unit or creating a symphony. You are good to go.

OP
OP
GalaxyBenny

GalaxyBenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, thanks again. I did just go ahead and try it and to your point, it's been working great. I assume the biggest reason it's okay is because it pumps all the water back into the tank to clear the sample line once it's done. So I guess it makes sense that it couldn't "start a siphon" if it's empty :).

But again, thanks for confirming.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back