GHL Mini Wifi - the most frustrating experience with an electronic device I have ever had

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had high hopes for this device. Had been using a couple of smart outlet strips that I think take care of most of what I need, but I had been ramping up to an automates system - where all testing would be taken care of on a daily basis with GHL products because having used Neptune devices when they first came out and were affordable... and seeing the dramatic price increases and the hideousness factor also increase dramatically, wanted to go with something else. (can my frustration be sensed?).

Anyhow, it seems a lot of people have similar issues - can't connect to the internet. Can't connect to the GHL internal hotspot, because it is not transmitting, and GET THIS - can't connect via GHL Control software via USB because they don't have a version compatible with the firmware mine shipped with (1.12) - all of the GHL control software only supports Mini Wifi up to 1.11. NO GHHDEV wireless signal after seeing it for like 14 seconds the first time I attempted to connect. It disappeared, and no amount of unplugging and plugging it back in has ever seen it show back up. I have checked on an android tablet, my android phone, a windows 9 machine and my windows 7 laptop - none of my wireless network adapters ever sees the GHLDEV wifi signal.

It seems that in this day and age where I can buy a Chinese wifi smart outlet strip for less thant 30 bucks and it works flawlessly right out of the box after a literally 3 minute set up, that something I spent 400 bucks on could at least be a BIT more user friendly.

I am FRUSTRATED.

Posted on GHL forums, submitted a support ticket. So far - crickets.

Someone from GHL, please tell me what secret handshake I need to use to get this thing to work.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't connect via GHL Control software
I´m not from GHL but have some experiences with their products. Never seen this problem before. Just want to know and learn - therefore a questions.
When you get this message - what is the exact message you get. Do it explicit says that you have the wrong FW or only this and you assume that it is because of to high FW. I ask this because I have always been able to establish a connection with GCC version done for lower FW than my actual FW. But I have not any experiences with the mini - only P3.x, P4 and SA dosers

1643019459207.png

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if this is actual for you but when you create a new connection through the administration tab (blue) you need to press the device manager button (red) and see which actual com port is in use (black)
1643022833397.png

After this - press new device in the administration window chose your equipment - (in my case P4 - in your case mini/wifi) and a new window will open. From the drop-down menu chose you actual com port - in my case com 3. save and close.

1643023318182.png

Shout down GCC and restart it. You will find your connection (in your case mini/wifi) to the left - double click and it should work.

1643023829840.png

If you have done all this already - please ignore my post - but wrong actual com port is normally the must common mistake with USB connections IMO

If you have windows 11 - please see here

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot connect via GCC at all. No matter what port I define. I have 1) kept the port setting on auto, 2) changed the port setting to what my machine's HW manager says that it is, and 3( manually stepped through ALL of the ports and tried to reconnect. The GCC software doesn't see the device.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jcolliii Please show us a screenshot of your Profilux port com in your device manager and please explain this statement "can't connect via GHL Control software via USB because they don't have a version compatible with the firmware mine shipped with (1.12) - all of the GHL control software only supports Mini Wifi up to 1.11" what let you think this?

1.12 mini firmware is of course supported by GHL Control center and is even provided with G.C.C 1.1.3.7.
Only issue with GCC 1.1.3.7 is that unfortunately, the defaults parameter file for firmware 1.12 of Profilux Mini was forgotten, which prevent to do backup.
While waiting for the next version of GHL Control Center including the file, just make a copy of the file C:\Programs\GHLControlCenter_V1137\ParaDefs\ParaL ist_V111_ProfiLux Mini.def and rename this copy to ParaList_V112_ProfiLux Mini.def It will then no more errors occur for the backup.

Gaël

Last edited:

Gwcreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a mini...no problems with the wifi but I cant seem to find out how to get the charts to work. Does the mini keep records of the temp and ph ?

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@jcolliii Please show us a screenshot of your Profilux port com in your device manager and please explain this statement "can't connect via GHL Control software via USB because they don't have a version compatible with the firmware mine shipped with (1.12) - all of the GHL control software only supports Mini Wifi up to 1.11" what let you think this?

1.12 mini firmware is of course supported by GHL Control center and is even provided with G.C.C 1.1.3.7.
Only issue with GCC 1.1.3.7 is that unfortunately, the defaults parameter file for firmware 1.12 of Profilux Mini was forgotten, which prevent to do backup.
While waiting for the next version of GHL Control Center including the file, just make a copy of the file C:\Programs\GHLControlCenter_V1137\ParaDefs\ParaL ist_V111_ProfiLux Mini.def and rename this copy to ParaList_V112_ProfiLux Mini.def It will then no more errors occur for the backup.

Gaël

Well for a start, the web page with the GCC download says ‘compatible up to mini-wifi firmware 1.11’, which suggests that it is compatible up to firmware 1.11!

If you look at the change notes, firmware compatibility updates are mentioned for Profilux 3, 4 and doser is mentioned but nothing for the Mini. It is, therefore, a reasonable assumption that the latest GCC release isn’t compatible with v1.12.

It’s not unreasonable to think that, if you have a problem and the software release notes suggest that the software is not compatible, then that could be a contributory reason to that issue.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for a start, the web page with the GCC download says ‘compatible up to mini-wifi firmware 1.11’, which suggests that it is compatible up to firmware 1.11!

If you look at the change notes, firmware compatibility updates are mentioned for Profilux 3, 4 and doser is mentioned but nothing for the Mini. It is, therefore, a reasonable assumption that the latest GCC release isn’t compatible with v1.12.

It’s not unreasonable to think that, if you have a problem and the software release notes suggest that the software is not compatible, then that could be a contributory reason to that issue.
You could however confirm this before stating it as fact.

Now, if someone else is having similar issues and they stumble across this thread and only read the first post they will be misled.

That is why you should always reach out to the manufacturer first before making posts such as this. I do appreciate when people post resolutions to issues though - that is helpful!

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had enough problems just setting up my ghl that I was considering just sucking up the $1k loss and moving on. That being said, I eventually got it to work after 2 weekends of alcoholism inducing pain. And now that it works, while I’m not sure it was “worth it”, at least it’s doing what I had expected it would do.

general whining and buyer’s regret aside, see my posts for what fixed my connection probs https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/adventures-in-ghling.878550/

Last edited:

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Now, if someone else is having similar issues and they stumble across this thread and only read the first post they will be misled.

That is why you should always reach out to the manufacturer first before making posts such as this. I do appreciate when people post resolutions to issues though - that is helpful!

It is fact that the website is wrong.

And I haven’t seen that the OPs issue has been resolved yet.

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gaël
Hmmm.... okay - let me just point out the number of inconsistencies that apparently exist here for you.

#1. Your manual for the Wifi Mini, p. 25 states explicitly that... "You need the appropriate GHL Control Center for the firmware of the respective Profilux." See below.
3.JPG

#2, your website states, in the more information section of GHL Control Center v1.1.3.7 that it supports Profilux Mini "up to firmware 1.11" SEE HIGHLIGHTED SECTION BELOW...
4.JPG

So, your website and documentation that ship with your device is what 'Led me to think this.' also, the fact that the USB connection did not work....

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do your homework before suggesting others are incorrect. That is called an assumption. In this case a wrong one.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting your screenshot...

(Also, it's not my website and my manual, I'm not GHL :) )

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did manage to get the controller connected to GCC v1.1.3.7 - even though the driver requirements listed in that software's release notes are incorrect. It took a third notebook computer and Windows 7. Bear in mind that I tried every conceivable combination of powering up over the weekend. Plug USB cable into controller while off, plug into computer while on; USB cable into controller while on then into computer; power cycle controller afterward. Multiple unplugs and checks of the wifi signal looking for the GHLDEV signal which was never to be found anywhere...

I don't know if there is a specific combination of drivers or hardware in my VERY high spec work machine on Win 9, or my fairly old Lenovo home notebook running Win 7, but took home my old Win 7 work machine, threw in the install files I downloaded over the weekend. No GHLDEV wireless still, but I did notice my home wireless signal was behaving funny... booting my tablet and phone off of wifi a couple of times. But on that third machine, I plugged in the powered off controller, started up GCC 1.1.3.7, powered it the controller, crossed my fingers, set up a connection, and LOW AND BEHOLD, the clouds parted (nope, it was already dark outside), but it popped up. Dunno what was different about this machine, the USB connector type - whatever. But I got in a looked around, and funny thing I found. The installation software had somehow managed to change the access point mode server name to exactly the same name as my home network. I have seen someone else say something very similar to this. I never got to the point in my initial setup when I was able to see the GHLDEV wifi to change anything... which is really, really odd. That explains why my home network was acting odd as well - there appeared to be 2 separate networks with the same name.

Anyhow, that setup nightmare is behind me. I am not sure how I feel about spending the money now on the KH director and ION director. Probably, down the road as I dislike the more recent Neptune design choices.

Looking forward to that firmware update that allows logging though.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back