GHL Mini Wifi - the most frustrating experience with an electronic device I have ever had

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyhow, that setup nightmare is behind me. I am not sure how I feel about spending the money now on the KH director and ION director.
You will not, KHD or IOND are PAB devices and require Profilux 4/4e/3.
Mini don't have PAB ports.

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not, KHD or IOND are PAB devices and require Profilux 4/4e/3.
Mini don't have PAB ports.
It was my understanding that they can utilize the standalone 2.1 dosing pumps and do not require a dedicated controller.

EDIT: At least that is what GHL's documentation suggests...
7.JPG

Last edited:

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was my understanding that they can utilize the standalone 2.1 dosing pumps and do not require a dedicated controller.
Yes you can do that, but strange choice, better to get a Profilux 4 and slave IOND/KHD.

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why strange?

I can add functionality as I need, I don't need to pony up the entire sum at once. I don't require much of what the much more expensive 4 does. IMO, it would have been a win-win.

Ion director & slave = 921
profilux 4 starter = 745

versus Ion director with standalone 2.1 = 975
profilux mini = 399

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why strange?

I can add functionality as I need, I don't need to pony up the entire sum at once. I don't require much of what the much more expensive 4 does. IMO, it would have been a win-win.

Ion director & slave = 921
profilux 4 starter = 745

versus Ion director with standalone 2.1 = 975
profilux mini = 399
Indeed, everything depends on everyone's needs, concerning me for example I prefer to have everything on the same device, than lots of independent devices that will not be able to interact with each other and which will have to be connected individually.
For example, you will not be able to display the curves of the Profilux probes and those of the KH or CA on the same graph.
But if you've chosen the mini, it's because you want to do basic things since, for example, the mini doesn't measure salinity, so I can understand.

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep,for me it's about a better heater controller, and a replacement for my old Milwaukee pH monitor (and looking forward to automate most of the testing down the road). The IM heater controller I had been looking at is 219 and the wifi pH device was around there as well, so for the price... Will probably use other 3 outlets for return pump and wave pumps so I can set up a feed mode. My auto water changer will be controlled by a simple wifi smart outlet and ATO controller used as a run-dry sensor for turning the system off on low water condition, so don't really need bells and whistles.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your homework before suggesting others are incorrect. That is called an assumption. In this case a wrong one.
I was just curious if 1.12 firmware for the mini was released after the GCC release. If it was it would then obviously not be included in the GCC release notes.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did manage to get the controller connected to GCC v1.1.3.7 - even though the driver requirements listed in that software's release notes are incorrect. It took a third notebook computer and Windows 7. Bear in mind that I tried every conceivable combination of powering up over the weekend. Plug USB cable into controller while off, plug into computer while on; USB cable into controller while on then into computer; power cycle controller afterward. Multiple unplugs and checks of the wifi signal looking for the GHLDEV signal which was never to be found anywhere...
Glad to hear you were successful in connecting via USB.

It sounds like the problem was with two computers after all. For what reason that may be is tough to say. GCC works with Windows 7 OS and higher. If you'd like to investigate it further, feel free to reply to the ticket you opened. We've received no reply to our questions posted there.

As @csund mentioned, v1.12 was released after the current version of GCC hence why this version is not mentioned in the GCC release notes.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It sounds like the problem was with two computers after all. For what reason that may be is tough to say. GCC works with Windows 7 OS and higher. If you'd like to investigate it further, feel free to reply to the ticket you opened. We've received no reply to our questions posted there.

As @csund mentioned, v1.12 was released after the current version of GCC hence why this version is not mentioned in the GCC release notes.
Thanks Vinny! It really bothers me when people make incorrect assumptions. This is why it is so important to give any manufacturer a chance to support their products.

Gwcreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any idea when graphs will be available for the mini? or at all??

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the biggest problems in the whole chain that led to my uber frustration were that:

1) the GHL website (for every single version of GCC) states that GCC only supports firmware version 1.11 for the Mini. Certainly misled me in any case... I know it's not intentional, but that should be rectified immediately and should be a quick fix. EDIT: I see this has already been done!

2) the complete lack of GHLDEV network. It showed up for about 14 seconds. I saw it on my phone, clicked the next button, my phone popped off the network because there was no internet and it was gone for good. I do have a WPS button on my router, but the instructions didn't say to push it, so I didn't. I am confused about how the internal GHLDEV server was renamed to the same thing as my home network. I have no explanation at all for how that could have happened. And, as I was never able to connect via USB, there is no way I could have changed it - even on accident.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused about how the internal GHLDEV server was renamed to the same thing as my home network.
What´s your home routers adress - 192.168.4.1 ? Its the default address for the access point mode in the GHL devices I know about

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What´s your home routers adress - 192.168.4.1 ? Its the default address for the access point mode in the GHL devices I know about

Sincerely Lasse
Nope. Was the more typical .1.1. I had nothing else with that address. I've not tried connecting via USB to the other two computers that would not work... I may give that a try over the weekend just to see if there is still an issue. Thanks for chiming in and giving very helpful suggestions. I did try several of the things that you suggested - appreciated.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back