GHL or Apex doser?

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to decide which one is the best to use in my system as a 2 part doser. Ion Director is sold out right now, but I am curious if it is worth buying over the Apex. Also the Apex has its own dosing reservoir; while with the GHL you have to customize your own.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not sure if wires are getting crossed but you don't need the Ion director to dose 2 part. It is brand new and I'm not sure anyone has actually received theirs yet (people have been on the pre-order list for months so it will be some time before any who orders now will be able to get one).

If all you want to do is dose 2-part, you just need a standalone doser (you don't even need the profilux controller).

The dosing container is just a container. I used cheap plastic jars but you can buy generic pre-made reservoirs if you don't want to make your own.

If deciding between GHL or Apex controllers, you have to consider what you want them to do. Otherwise, you can just buy a doser.

Upvote 0

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depending on the size of your tank, you may not need either one? If you have a 40-50g tank, then all for reef will do the job perfectly. Kamoer single doser (WiFi or Bluetooth) and you’re done. But if you’re going to dose true 2 part (actually 3, alk, ca & mag) then I would choose GHL over the apex all day long. To me the DOS is overpriced and huge, with only two pumps too. I get the apex integration, but if you’re not using as an auto water change system, then there are better choices, GHL being my preference. I still have my doser 2 (going on 6+ years) and it’s still performing super accurate doses. The only downfall is the software side during initial setup, but the cloud base app works just fine.
I would actually buy a couple Kamoer X1 pros over the DOS. I have one on my 35g dosing all for reef and it’s an awesome little pump.

Upvote 0

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you own a Neptune ecosystem I would stick with DOS. Programing is a breeze and its relatively accurate. I just added it to my system and linked it with trident and it auto dose based on my readings over 24h span.

Yes it's expensive but the ease of use and the software via fusion makes it an easy pick.

You can get a dose for $200 around here so good luck

Upvote 0

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you own a Neptune ecosystem I would stick with DOS. Programing is a breeze and its relatively accurate. I just added it to my system and linked it with trident and it auto dose based on my readings over 24h span.

Yes it's expensive but the ease of use and the software via fusion makes it an easy pick.

You can get a dose for $200 around here so good
I have an apex, but still prefer the GHL. Depends on how comfortable you are with the apex controlling your dosing, I’m old school, so I prefer to adjust it myself.

Upvote 0

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have an apex, but still prefer the GHL. Depends on how comfortable you are with the apex controlling your dosing, I’m old school, so I prefer to adjust it myself.
I totally understand. I have my trident test 8 times a day and watching every little adjustment of dosing and so far it's delivering what was intended for it to do which is keeping my KH/ Cal/ pH stable.

I heard a lot of great thing about GHL but never used it really and don't doubt it works as good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210905-165626.jpg
    Screenshot_20210905-165626.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I totally understand. I have my trident test 8 times a day and watching every little adjustment of dosing and so far it's delivering what was intended for it to do which is keeping my KH/ Cal/ pH stable.

I heard a lot of great thing about GHL but never used it really and don't doubt it works as good.
Nice! Yeah, that’s the key with automation, staying on top of it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if wires are getting crossed but you don't need the Ion director to dose 2 part. It is brand new and I'm not sure anyone has actually received theirs yet (people have been on the pre-order list for months so it will be some time before any who orders now will be able to get one).

If all you want to do is dose 2-part, you just need a standalone doser (you don't even need the profilux controller).

The dosing container is just a container. I used cheap plastic jars but you can buy generic pre-made reservoirs if you don't want to make your own.

If deciding between GHL or Apex controllers, you have to consider what you want them to do. Otherwise, you can just buy a doser.
I didn't realize that you do not need the ion director for dosing 2 part. Just the KH director. Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would like to dose 2 part (alk and Calc/Mg) but I would also like an accurate alkalinity analyzer. I'm leaning towards the GHL KH director because I have heard it's extremely accurate. However, the Apex trident analyzer also measures Ca and Mg and is about $200 cheaper.

Upvote 0

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you want automated Alk testing then you would need the KH director. That takes up 3 doser heads, so if you want to dose 2-part you will also need a 2nd doser, which could be a slave unit.

If you want to go with Apex then you will need a controller, a Trident, and a doser.

A cheaper way is just to test Alk manually, and use the results to fine tune the dosing amounts.

Crossed post edit!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of sps frags and my alkalinity tends to drop fairly quickly.

Upvote 0

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Trident apex is what I use with Dos and Trident. I set it to auto dose to reach 8.9 Alk and 450 Calcium and it got me exactly there and it staying consistent

Upvote 0

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If your consumption get higher then you up up the dose and set rules of 40% margin or the dosers so it will increase your dose and not go over the set target amount.

Upvote 0

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
We need more data. How much does your alk drop by? What's your target Goal? How long does it take for it to drop ( day/ week....)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need more data. How much does your alk drop by? What's your target Goal? How long does it take for it to drop ( day/ week....)
My alk can drop from 9.0 to 8.0. If I have not dosed in a day.

Upvote 0

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My alk can drop from 9.0 to 8.0. If I have not dosed in a day.

So presumably you know how much you are dosing in a day? If so, you just need the doser to add that amount, so that you don't need to do it by hand.

The KH Director/Trident isn't necessarily a bad idea (I have just bought a KH director) as long as that is what you want to do. However, you don't have to have either to dose 2-part.

Upvote 0

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It's spot on what @FishyFishFish says. You only need controllers to keep you informed automatically of what's been dosed and if there are any changes of consumption.

If your Alk drops by 1dkh a day all you have to do is dose the appropriate amount to replanish the 1dkh.

What products are you dosing with??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's spot on what @FishyFishFish says. You only need controllers to keep you informed automatically of what's been dosed and if there are any changes of consumption.

If your Alk drops by 1dkh a day all you have to do is dose the appropriate amount to replanish the 1dkh.

What products are you dosing with??
I am using Aquaforest Component 1 2 and 3. Usually dose 15 ml of alk a day.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back