GHL profilux 4 ato disable skimmer port

saltgeek1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow marine caretakers, I have recently switched to GHL profilux 4 and I love it so far, the one piece of logic I am trying to figure out is how to disable skimmer port if a timeout is reached.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason why a skimmer should turn OFF after the ATO runs for a fixed amount of time?

If the concern is to prevent a runaway pump, you can use the ATO function's max-on time for that.

OP
OP
saltgeek1

saltgeek1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vinny@GHLUSA thanks for the pointer will give that a try, and to answer your question, yes I would like to limit the time the ato runs in case of the skimmer foaming over. Also it would be nice to shutdown the skimmer based on this error state.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a suggestion, I would install a float sensor (either GHL float or 3rd party float via PLM-ADIN) in the skimmer cup and have that manage the ON/OFF reaction for the skimmer.

The kind of control you've described would open up the possibility of turning OFF the skimmer when it doesn't need to be OFF. For example, if the ATO reservoir runs dry, it'll shut OFF the skimmer because of an empty container.

If sump overfill prevention is the goal, use the ATO's built-in max on-time setting.
If skimmer cup overfill is the goal, install a float switch inside the cup. See "Turn off skimmer if cup is full"

OP
OP
saltgeek1

saltgeek1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vinny@GHLUSA Thanks I have a float switch that I will be installing shortly, the other reason behind this logic is as a secondary precaution. In the end, I created two program logic functions that watch the ATO and the level of salinity in the tank, as you know in this hobby you can't have enough backups for the backups. :)

Back