GHL Vs Apex Episode Series

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have a seperate room for my electronics but MANY reefers have thier electronics in the same cabinet. I sure hope you do realize that salt mist and vapor spray cause corrosion within a cabinet no matter where your electronics are placed. It's pretty simple understanding for anyone who has owned a saltwater tank with a sump in the cabinet. I find it funny how you really like to be heard from your keyboard on just about everything. If I recall you looked like a fool when you tried to match wits with Terrance from Neptune as well. I look forward to watching your ill informed posts and ramblings as this thread moves on. You tend to reply just so you can be in a conversation and add post counts with no actual merit or substance.

Yawn! You seem to have a bad memory as well as a bad attitude. Anyway have fun reading my post. I had never even heard of you before this thread so your opinion pretty much means zero to me.

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has to be a 12v source somewhere because is an EB832 can power the head unit via 12v on aquabus. However, without seeing a diagram, we cannot know if they are using a regulator to drop the 24v supply to 12v, or a separate small power supply to produce the 12v.

I am sure it has a 12V rail but it would be a lot simpler for them just to regulate the 24V down to 12V rather than build in a separate power supply. I cannot see any signs of another supply in the EB832.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to remember when the Apex was released most of the owners were really turned off by the kiddy plastic and cheap feel of the Aper WiFi. BTW Are you seriously putting your Powerbar’s near your tank water. Anyway if this was round one and the best the Profilux could do was a tie with Apex on build quality then it does not Bode well for GHL going forward.
I'm not sure why anyone lends weight to the perception of quality based on how solid something feels. Seldom is form fit and function universal in that aspect. That's a feel good thing especially with electronics designed to statically sit on a shelf. If it's a 4" lift for my truck, yes I want Some heft. If it's a bunch on silicone wafers, who cares what it sits inside. You can't even see or feel the aspects of quality that matter to the effectivity of this product. I don't own either and have never used either, but I'm gonna watch subsequent videos and see what each brings to the table.
Good job so far @Derrick Picker, I'll be watching for your next video. I'd be interested to know more about ghl and communication cords too. I've looked a bit into apex, and they annoy me with their short cables and the lack of openness on the standards they use and esse of affordable access to cable extensions as what they really provide isn't nearly at the limits to that standards they are using. It may be a bit outside the scope, but this is especially true with their pumps and the cables to the pump controller. A person wants to consider the entirety of a system before you throw your hat into one ring or the other. I'll be looking more into ghl shortly.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
of affordable access to cable extensions as what they really provide isn't nearly at the limits to that standards they are using. It may be a bit outside the scope, but this is especially true with their pumps and the cables to the pump controller.

On that note, Aquabus cables for communication between modules are pretty much USB cables- nothing special about them really. You can get them from Amazon, Walmart, etc for like <$5 for a 10ft cable.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure it has a 12V rail but it would be a lot simpler for them just to regulate the 24V down to 12V rather than build in a separate power supply. I cannot see any signs of another supply in the EB832.

From my account once the 24v power supply was dead, the unit stopped working. I removed the 24v power supply completely and plugged the power cord into the 110v wall socket - Nothing. Then I plugged an aquabus cable in and everything started to come alive, the relays started clicking and the LEDs lit up. I was afraid that the current flow through the aquabus cable was going to be too much so I didn't leave it plugged in too long.

There has to be a linear VR that converts 24vdc down to 12vdc.

Honestly, I thought the internal relays were 24v... hmmm.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that note, Aquabus cables for communication between modules are pretty much USB cables- nothing special about them really. You can get them from Amazon, Walmart, etc for like <$5 for a 10ft cable.
Yes I realize that as I found from my own research, but thanks for the info, appreciated. My personal expectation is they be more open about it. Not all reefers are equally saavy technically speaking and you shouldn't have to pay the crazy money they ask for their extension cables when it's simply a usb 2.0 cable. But it's just a pet peeve of mine perhaps lol. I like openness and use of industry standards. It just build brand loyalty IMO.

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yawn! You seem to have a bad memory as well as a bad attitude. Anyway have fun reading my post. I had never even heard of you before this thread so your opinion pretty much means zero to me.
Just not a fan of keyboard warriors who like to troll. I don't post all the time just to see reaction. No reason for you to hear of me but I've been around for a long time. Only attitude I have is when a post gets responses from folks with no intellect just so they can run thier post count up even though they add absolutely nothing other than a formed based to start arguments. Again, if you have nothing to say why keep on going. Many have seen your nonsense ramblings. And it still goes on....... And on........ And on......

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why anyone lends weight to the perception of quality based on how solid something feels. Seldom is form fit and function universal in that aspect. That's a feel good thing especially with electronics designed to statically sit on a shelf. If it's a 4" lift for my truck, yes I want Some heft. If it's a bunch on silicone wafers, who cares what it sits inside. You can't even see or feel the aspects of quality that matter to the effectivity of this product. I don't own either and have never used either, but I'm gonna watch subsequent videos and see what each brings to the table.
Good job so far @Derrick Picker, I'll be watching for your next video. I'd be interested to know more about ghl and communication cords too. I've looked a bit into apex, and they annoy me with their short cables and the lack of openness on the standards they use and esse of affordable access to cable extensions as what they really provide isn't nearly at the limits to that standards they are using. It may be a bit outside the scope, but this is especially true with their pumps and the cables to the pump controller. A person wants to consider the entirety of a system before you throw your hat into one ring or the other. I'll be looking more into ghl shortly.

thank you for the kind words. Yea I have a lot to accomplish for sure. Next episode is strictly aboutinitial setup. Sadly I only have an iPhone so I can’t not say if android is better or worse. The GHl took longer to setup then the Apex. As far as connections the GHL has Apex beat with the CAT5 communication over the USB. USB has limits of 150 feet whereas the CAT5 can be 300+ feet.

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After tonight's video..... And actually winning the ghl I'm still sticking with apex. The programming is absurd. When I saw how you program 0-10v port you have to set it as illumination to have it ramp different times a day....... A pump as illumination.? Been in reef business since 2005 and in the USA since 2015 yet does not come in English. You have to use Google translate to set it up. Feed mode is a filter? Or feed off to feed?.... Just looks like it's well built but poorly thought out. Programming is pretty bad.

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, my apex is 120’ away with zero issues. I bought Neptune’s USB extension cables but I would presume standard USB would work.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the kind words. Yea I have a lot to accomplish for sure. Next episode is strictly aboutinitial setup. Sadly I only have an iPhone so I can’t not say if android is better or worse. The GHl took longer to setup then the Apex. As far as connections the GHL has Apex beat with the CAT5 communication over the USB. USB has limits of 150 feet whereas the CAT5 can be 300+ feet.
I'm ever a fan of keeping electronics as far from saltwater as possible! I've ran a mile or two of cat 5 in my day if I ran a foot and would gladly run more for the convenience of putting things where I want them. Good luck with the rest of your series.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I realize that as I found from my own research, but thanks for the info, appreciated. My personal expectation is they be more open about it. Not all reefers are equally saavy technically speaking and you shouldn't have to pay the crazy money they ask for their extension cables when it's simply a usb 2.0 cable. But it's just a pet peeve of mine perhaps lol. I like openness and use of industry standards. It just build brand loyalty IMO.

In their defense, calling it USB instead of aquabus could cause them MAJOR issues. Aquabus runs 12v power. USB is 5v power.

Someone plugs the “USB” into their computer? Computer is dead. if someone tries to run a USB accessory? The accessory is dead. It could also damage the apex system by drawing more than intended- it’s just designed for apex communication. Same thing goes for if someone tries to use a USB cable with a repeater, or active extender.

I don’t have enough faith in humanity to expect people to understand that USB devices are not compatible with the apex “USB” ports.

Just call it Aquabus and offer Aquabus cables haha. To me that’s a entirely reasonable option, if it’s running a different voltage than conventional USB. Their cables are pretty nice too- fully overmolded at both ends.

U

User1

View Badges
In their defense, calling it USB instead of aquabus could cause them MAJOR issues. Aquabus runs 12v power. USB is 5v power.

Someone plugs the “USB” into their computer? Computer is dead. if someone tries to run a USB accessory? The accessory is dead. It could also damage the apex system by drawing more than intended- it’s just designed for apex communication. Same thing goes for if someone tries to use a USB cable with a repeater, or active extender.

I don’t have enough faith in humanity to expect people to understand that USB devices are not compatible with the apex “USB” ports.

Just call it Aquabus and offer Aquabus cables haha. To me that’s a entirely reasonable option, if it’s running a different voltage than conventional USB. Their cables are pretty nice too- fully overmolded at both ends.

Also it is not unique to Neptune. Kessil does similar with their USC C cables when connecting lights for example. Others do also. I mean this isn't new to you I was just talking about it out loud I guess :D

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, those are all fair points to be sure, can't disagree with any of that. That's all about support and education, given the information up front most most people in this hobby are interested in learning I think. Some of us are a bit more hungry for knowledge and love to go overboard on geeking out over this stuff lol. From what I've seen so far both systems bring strong features to the table in very different ways. Some overlap, some don't. It'll be a tough choice for me.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it is not unique to Neptune. Kessil does similar with their USC C cables when connecting lights for example. Others do also. I mean this isn't new to you I was just talking about it out loud I guess :D
Lol it's common yes but with all the systems we connect together in this hobby you just give a huge sigh, roll your eyes and open your wallet again lol. But I'm still here, still happy to be in the game lol. But sometimes a little whining goes a long ways.

U

User1

View Badges
Lol it's common yes but with all the systems we connect together in this hobby you just give a huge sigh, roll your eyes and open your wallet again lol. But I'm still here, still happy to be in the game lol. But sometimes a little whining goes a long ways.

Lol - I don't see it as whinning. Sorry if I made it seem like that. This hobby of ours could use some standards for connecting devices. It is a pet peeve of mine. It is like the 80's all over again with PC accessories and what not. Now they connect easily to include PC to Mac for the most part.

Your post just reminded me of me buying Kessil's cables and later I read somewhere that it is just a standard cable that could have been picked up for 5 or 10 bucks (yet I paid a bit over 20). So I feel the pain :D

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see it as whinning. Sorry if I made it seem like that.
Haha communication error, I was talking about my whining not yours lol. I mean if we didn't want to spend we'd get out, but we don't. We complain a bit and feel better and continue to enjoy the hobby. Generally speaking controllers and other tech seem to be about 5-7 years behind the power curve of what they could be doing with what technology is capable of at a competitive price point. But I get it, smaller scale market, harder ROI.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my account once the 24v power supply was dead, the unit stopped working. I removed the 24v power supply completely and plugged the power cord into the 110v wall socket - Nothing. Then I plugged an aquabus cable in and everything started to come alive, the relays started clicking and the LEDs lit up. I was afraid that the current flow through the aquabus cable was going to be too much so I didn't leave it plugged in too long.

There has to be a linear VR that converts 24vdc down to 12vdc.

Honestly, I thought the internal relays were 24v... hmmm.
Well that makes it pretty clear that the 24V power supply does power the EB832 or at the very least it's intertwined and if it goes down the EB832 goes down with it.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ever a fan of keeping electronics as far from saltwater as possible! I've ran a mile or two of cat 5 in my day if I ran a foot and would gladly run more for the convenience of putting things where I want them. Good luck with the rest of your series.
Yep I agree. Some people think the issue is the metal case. They do not realize that unless the circuit board inside is Conformal coated the circuit board and components on it can start to degrade. You will not find any electronics on a Navy ship that is not using Conformal coated circuit boards. Unfortunately none of the controllers I have seen use a conformal coating, so they are all susceptible to the salt air around them.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I agree. Some people think the issue is the metal case. They do not realize that unless the circuit board inside is Conformal coated the circuit board and components on it can start to degrade. You will not find any electronics on a Navy ship that is not using Conformal coated circuit boards. Unfortunately none of the controllers I have seen use a conformal coating, so they are all susceptible to the salt air around them.
Good points! That aerosol gets into everything. I liked your ideas on external power supplies for the apex controller as an improvement to the architecture.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back