Ghost Feeding after MicroBacter Cycle? Raw shrimp? PEE!?!?!?!

FrickMasterFlex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preparing to test my water on Thursday for the first time after I used the MicroBacter bacteria in a bottle that came highly recommended from a knowledgeable fellow from the local fish store that specializes in reef tanks. If I measure this Thursday what should I be looking for from an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate level? I've seen around a few threads that the must have measurements to confirm the cycle is complete is 0 for ammonia/nitrite and nitrates around 25ppm.

Now, if that's correct, and those are the readings I get on Thursday, is it necessary to try and do another form of cycling to ensure I'm good? As a newb, I'd rather be ULTRA safe to ensure it's complete. I've read about the raw shrimp method where you leave it in for 24-48 hours to spike ammonia levels as it decays, and then see if the tank can cycle ammonia levels back to 0 within 24 hours after you remove it. Also saw some old R2R threads from 7 or so years ago where people said they actually used their own urine to confirm/help the cycle! Is that real life? TIA for the help!

OP
OP
FrickMasterFlex

FrickMasterFlex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great, finally share my experience with the MicroBacter Start XLM bacteria.
1. Filled tank with dry rock, sand and water.
2. Added the directed amount of bacteria to water.
3. Measure ammonia to see of you have any in my case I didn't so I added an ammonia source which mu starter kit came with. If not as @brandon429 said a pinch of fish food.
4. Wait what it states on the bottle 7-9 days Measure ammonia and nitrates.
5. If signs of nitrates in my case i was at 0 day 1 and was 5ppm on day 6 to day 9 then up to 10ppm from day 10 till 15. This is a sign your bacteria is live and solid in a tank.
5. Measure your ammonia, mine has always been difficult to read salifert test kit. But appears now it reads 0
6. Your tank is cycled as mentioned as you are feeding fiah food wait 20 days.
7.complete a water change. It does state on bottle 25% however I'll be doing a 50% for my first WC then 20% weekly.

Hope any of this information helps. Lots of people are willing to help.
Just wanted to let you guys know that I am officially on day 21, and I did the dosing with fish food and bacteria as you said. Nitrates 5-10ppm, ammonia showing up as 0 on a Red Sea test kit. Water change time and then time for my first wet pet. Appreciate all the insight you guys provided on this thread!

Upvote 0
Back