Ghost Flatworms in my Quarantine Tank...what should I do?

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have had a Tomini Tang in quarantine for 6 weeks. He went through a 30 day copper treatment and two 7 day PraziPro doses. As I was preparing to move him into my display tank, I suddenly noticed what seem to be Ghost Flatworms on the glass. I am not sure where they came from and why they are alive after two doses of Prazi. So I just did a 3rd dose of Prazi. But I am wondering why they survived the first two doses? Also, where did they come from?...were they a hitch-hiker on the Tang?

What do I need to do to make sure the Tang doesn't carry them into my display tank?

any suggestions is much appreciated...Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello. I have had a Tomini Tang in quarantine for 6 weeks. He went through a 30 day copper treatment and two 7 day PraziPro doses. As I was preparing to move him into my display tank, I suddenly noticed what seem to be Ghost Flatworms on the glass. I am not sure where they came from and why they are alive after two doses of Prazi. So I just did a 3rd dose of Prazi. But I am wondering why they survived the first two doses? Also, where did they come from?...were they a hitch-hiker on the Tang?

What do I need to do to make sure the Tang doesn't carry them into my display tank?

any suggestions is much appreciated...Thanks
Suck them up with a /8" tubing and assure there are NO presence of eggs in the tank. These are the least threatening of flatworms and pose a problem when in large numbers.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suck them up with a /8" tubing and assure there are NO presence of eggs in the tank. These are the least threatening of flatworms and pose a problem when in large numbers.
Will these flat worms attach to my tang? In other words, if/when I take him out, if all the eggs are not dead, is it possible that he could carry them over to my display tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Will these flat worms attach to my tang? In other words, if/when I take him out, if all the eggs are not dead, is it possible that he could carry them over to my display tank?
They have no collaboration with fish. I couldnt see this happening, but simple give tang a 3-5 minute freshwater dip as an insurance

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not temporarily put the fish in a bucket while you clean your QT and then put the fish back for another week or so to make sure?

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not temporarily put the fish in a bucket while you clean your QT and then put the fish back for another week or so to make sure?
So it seems PraziPro does not kill them. After 3 days since the last treatment...they are still moving around the tank glass. Is there something else that will kill them?

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it seems PraziPro does not kill them. After 3 days since the last treatment...they are still moving around the tank glass. Is there something else that will kill them?

Man, I don't know. Read the sticky's in the fish and disease section to learn more. In the meantime, I'd do a simple Tank Transfer Method, like moving the fish to a bucket with an air stone while you clean and sterilize the QT before putting the fish back in. If the more flat worms show up, then you know the fish was still carrying some.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back