Giant eye... need help

Warthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I got a lemonpeel angelfish last week and for the most part he behaved like a new dwarf angel would hiding in the rocks. Yesterday, I noticed his eye getting swollen, and today it is 4-5 times the size of his right eye and has cataracts. He still is yet to eat except for slowly picking off the rocks. I want to do a freshwater dip but I don't have a buffer for it, with stores closed for Christmas I don't have any options. Will epsom salt help with the swelling? Should I still do a dip? Can I save the eye?

OP
OP
Warthur

Warthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9e5e73c55e9d1bd3533b4400b2a93295.jpg

OP
OP
Warthur

Warthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every other fish in the tank is fine, including flashlight fish and leopard wrasse which need good params so that's not an issue

OP
OP
Warthur

Warthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the kana, metro, and furan on hand but the issue is the flashlight fish. If I were to add to the tank the bacteria in his light organs would die and it would be no more glowing for the rest of its life... I took down my qt about a month ago so I don't have that option either... could a dip help even if it is short since the ph is different and all stores are closed so I can't get a buffer... feels like a perfect storm

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the kana, metro, and furan on hand but the issue is the flashlight fish. If I were to add to the tank the bacteria in his light organs would die and it would be no more glowing for the rest of its life... I took down my qt about a month ago so I don't have that option either... could a dip help even if it is short since the ph is different and all stores are closed so I can't get a buffer... feels like a perfect storm

If you have the QT tank available, set it up. Set up water for a water change. Do a water change, but water taken from the DT is used to fill the QT as much as possible, remaining water needed filled with newly made saltwater. Transfer the fish into the QT and treat as @Humblefish prescribed.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, I've got to agree with Flippers - popeye in one eye is often initially caused by injury, in which case the epsom salt will help. In this case, though, it's looking like bacteria have invaded. Antibiotics are notoriously slow-working in marine fish, and a treatment is likely to take 10-14 days ... sometimes longer.

A dip just isn't going to get the job done.

~Bruce

Exotic Aquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound like Popeye. I had a three stripe damsel that got it and eventually lost it eye but seamed to be doing good till I made a rookie mistake of getting a cowfish on a whim at my lfs that crashed my tank

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, I've got to agree with Flippers - popeye in one eye is often initially caused by injury, in which case the epsom salt will help. In this case, though, it's looking like bacteria have invaded. Antibiotics are notoriously slow-working in marine fish, and a treatment is likely to take 10-14 days ... sometimes longer.

A dip just isn't going to get the job done.

~Bruce
Too add to this and what @Flippers4pups said, I unfortunately don’t think the eye can be saved but it’s definktely worth the effort. Many angels die after they lose an eye. infection, stress, or both, not sure why.

Here’s Humblefish’s complete write up on bacterial infections/pop eye

Bacterial infections:

Symptoms - Sometimes it's self-describing: Popeye/cloudy eyes, fin & tail rot, dropsy (bloated fish), etc. But some other bacterial infections, such as furunculosis, hemorrhagic septicemia, etc., can have varying visible symptoms. Any redness or open sores/wounds on a fish should be viewed with suspicion. Also, a white film or fungus-looking growth may denote a bacterial infection. It’s important to note that in many cases a bacterial infection is usually secondary in nature to a parasitic infestation such as ich, meaning if a fish has been battling ich for a while then his immune system has been lowered. This makes infection more likely for many opportunistic, harmful bacteria.

Treatment options - Broad spectrum antibiotic medication i.e. one that treats both gram-positive and gram-negative bacterial diseases. Examples of this include Furan-2, Kanamycin aka Seachem Kanaplex, Nitrofuracin Green Powder, Triple Sulfa Powder, or a combination of using both Erythromycin & Minocycline. The latter can be accomplished (albeit expensively) by using freshwater Maracyn 1 & 2 and then doubling the dosage for saltwater use. When battling a particularly nasty bacterial infection, combining Furan-2, Kanaplex and metronidazole (ex. Seachem MetroPlex) can be very effective (and safe). Props to “hedgedrew” for enlightening me of this.”

OP
OP
Warthur

Warthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, an update on the angel:
He recovered after a series of 1 minute freshwater baths every other day for a week along with constant furan, kana, and metro. While the eye is not 100% it appears he can still see out of it. He's gotten nice and plump since then and has somehow become king of the tank :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back