Giesemann Aurora LED T5 Hybrid Fixture

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who owns this lighting fixture? I'm contemplating upgrading my current Kessil 360we's to the Aurora. It's a sexy beast for sure, but with the price tag I want some true insight from real world reefers before I take the plunge. I like the idea of the combination lighting, as I'm just not getting the growth I think I should be or want with the pure LED of the Kessils. Any insight on this Aurora hybrid fixture would be helpful, perhaps some pictures too ;)

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced 5 Aqua Illumination Primes with a 48" Aurora... over a 60" tank. The first thing I noticed was FAR better coral growth. Also 100% coverage. Even when the fish are right up next to the glass, the viewing side of them is illuminated. Likewise, it seemed as though the tops of my corals were illuminated nicely with the Primes, but not so much on the sides of the corals... the T5's really take care of that issue.

I'm using the hanging kit and it just looks like it's floating there... it truly is a beautiful piece. Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

IMG_6805 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply @Broadfield! As I quickly found out in researching, there really isn't a great deal of information available on this fixture including reviews from real world reefers. How is the fixture in terms of the heat that is generated throughout the day? Is the integrated cooling system to your satisfaction? Also, how does this light affect water temperatures throughout the day? Any great impact at all that you've noticed? As I suspected, the addition of the T5's greatly impacts coral growth and total light spread. Is programming this light overwhelming and does it come with any general preset programs? Overall, do you have any complaints at all about the Aurora? It really is quite an attractive and sleek lighting fixture and your entire setup is amazing and inspiring. Thanks for reaching out and sharing. I'm sure I'll have more questions to ask of you. :)

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a moderator please move this to the Equipment, Lighting, Hardware, Aquarium Filtration forum? Thanks!

Last edited:

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply @Broadfield! As I quickly found out in researching, there really isn't a great deal of information available on this fixture including reviews from real world reefers. How is the fixture in terms of the heat that is generated throughout the day? Is the integrated cooling system to your satisfaction? Also, how does this light affect water temperatures throughout the day? Any great impact at all that you've noticed? As I suspected, the addition of the T5's greatly impacts coral growth and total light spread. Is programming this light overwhelming and does it come with any general preset programs? Overall, do you have any complaints at all about the Aurora? It really is quite an attractive and sleek lighting fixture and your entire setup is amazing and inspiring. Thanks for reaching out and sharing. I'm sure I'll have more questions to ask of you. :)

While the T5 bulbs do get a little warm compared to LED's, I'm not sure how much it actually affects the tank temp. Especially since I'm running my fixture pretty high at 11" AWL. I run it this high for a few reasons:
  1. Since I'm running the 48" fixture on a 60" tank, it gives me better coverage at the ends.
  2. There's plenty of power, so even at this height, I still only run stuff around 75%.
  3. It makes tank maintenance MUCH easier.
  4. It cuts WAY back on the amount of water splash that gets on the lens.
As for programming, I don't have too many complaints. It has some cool stuff that the Aqua Illumination interface doesn't. Like you can take the graph of a channel and simply shift the whole thing throughout the day.... without the need to completely redo the graph to simply shift it one hour. It does have 3 presets built in. More can be downloaded from their site. There's also a "Color Mixer" mode which allows you to quickly play with colors and intensities in real time, without actually making a graph or affecting the current graph.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who owns this lighting fixture? I'm contemplating upgrading my current Kessil 360we's to the Aurora. It's a sexy beast for sure, but with the price tag I want some true insight from real world reefers before I take the plunge. I like the idea of the combination lighting, as I'm just not getting the growth I think I should be or want with the pure LED of the Kessils. Any insight on this Aurora hybrid fixture would be helpful, perhaps some pictures too ;)
i had similar issues with the 360we's so i sold them and bought the 360N's they're so much better but I'm thinking again of trading in the kessils and giving this same light a shot. especially after broadfields pics and information.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens when the led runs the span of its lifetime. Are they replaceable like the T5 bulbs ?

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens when the led runs the span of its lifetime. Are they replaceable like the T5 bulbs ?

Running at 12 hours/day, I'll let you know in 15 years lol. The life expectancy of a quality LED is around 50,000 - 70,000 hours.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check out the Giesemann Genesis coming out in a couple months. It basically hybrid T_5 and has the Verve cluster added. That's what I'm waiting for.

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Giesemann Genesis coming out in a couple months. It basically hybrid T_5 and has the Verve cluster added. That's what I'm waiting for.

Do you think the Genesis will be a step up from the Aurora, an improved T5/LED fixture? And has there been any information about price point for the Genesis?

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had similar issues with the 360we's so i sold them and bought the 360N's they're so much better but I'm thinking again of trading in the kessils and giving this same light a shot. especially after broadfields pics and information.

Keep me updated on your decision. I'm very curious.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you think the Genesis will be a step up from the Aurora, an improved T5/LED fixture? And has there been any information about price point for the Genesis?

It is supposed to be lower priced fixture so I doubt it... But the Vervve cluster means to me it would be a upgrade for at least the led part of the fixture.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are a few videos on youtube mostly in German...

They will have this fixture at Macna and should be available shortly after.

good stuff. can't wait to see the specs side by side. @Broadfield do you notice any differences in the T5 area? what about in the cooling?

boostedvq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the T5 bulbs do get a little warm compared to LED's, I'm not sure how much it actually affects the tank temp. Especially since I'm running my fixture pretty high at 11" AWL. I run it this high for a few reasons:
  1. Since I'm running the 48" fixture on a 60" tank, it gives me better coverage at the ends.
  2. There's plenty of power, so even at this height, I still only run stuff around 75%.
Curious, what do you feel the max front to back coverage would be on this light? I really like the light, but am curious if I'd need to get something in addition to cover a 40" front to back.

Thanks and beautiful tank

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield, did a set of T5 bulbs come with the fixture or did you have to order those separate? From unpacking vids I found online it looked as if bulbs are included but BRS is telling me bulbs would be a separate order.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield, did a set of T5 bulbs come with the fixture or did you have to order those separate? From unpacking vids I found online it looked as if bulbs are included but BRS is telling me bulbs would be a separate order.

They do not come with it. I think that's only if you buy it directly from the company over in Germany... you get to pick out a set of T5's.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back