Giesemann Aurora LED T5 Hybrid Fixture

Siasl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pulled the trigger on a 1200mm version of the Aurora. Going with ATI bulbs 2x Actinic and 2x Aquablue.

Went back and forth between this and pendants - but the look of these things are amazing and I used to have a 72" Spectra on a previous tank.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pulled the trigger on a 1200mm version of the Aurora. Going with ATI bulbs 2x Actinic and 2x Aquablue.

Went back and forth between this and pendants - but the look of these things are amazing and I used to have a 72" Spectra on a previous tank.

You'll be very happy with it!

Viperdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine hung. So far it's nice but I have to get this thingredients programmed. Over to the other thread now to read on that.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna pull the trigger.. getting a 60" aurora for my new 180g 72" build!

I understand the t5s can be dimmed.. can they be programmed similar to the LEDs too?

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are hanging kits include?

I noticed BRS sells legs too. How dies that look on auroras?

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are hanging kits include?

I noticed BRS sells legs too. How dies that look on auroras?

Yes, the hanging kit is included. I wouldn't want those legs.... I don't trust them with that much weight. They are just plain stamped steel also, not very good looking. And it puts the fixture right over the tank.

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield I have 3 questions for you. I'm sold right now on these lights. Who knows what lights will be the ones I go with as I'm waiting on that Reefer 625. My questions are
1) Do you think that arm mounts above the unit can be created almost like the AI HMS EXT Tank Mount for these bad boys? ( I have a cement ceiling and it has popcorn don't need to start breaking that.)
2) I see there is a white model? I looked through numerous pages and can't find it
3) Do you sell these lights and if you do PM? would love to support you, with all the information that you have given on your build I would rather send the love your way.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield I have 3 questions for you. I'm sold right now on these lights. Who knows what lights will be the ones I go with as I'm waiting on that Reefer 625. My questions are
1) Do you think that arm mounts above the unit can be created almost like the AI HMS EXT Tank Mount for these bad boys? ( I have a cement ceiling and it has popcorn don't need to start breaking that.)
2) I see there is a white model? I looked through numerous pages and can't find it
3) Do you sell these lights and if you do PM? would love to support you, with all the information that you have given on your build I would rather send the love your way.

1) You wouldn't be able to use any of the mounts that are designed for the AI or Radions... they just are not beefy enough. You would either need to use the Giesemann wall mounts or buy some mounts for shelving that are rated for enough weight.

2) Typically the white model cannot easily be had in the USA. Depending on which fixture you go with, it's either the textured graphite color(which Giesemann calls "Irridium") or a glossy/smooth graphite color (which Giesemann calls "Black"). Both my Aurora and Spectra were black.

3) PM sent!

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone used a par meter under this light system to see whats the intensity actually like ?
I am debating getting one to place over a 30'' deep tank.

bpseal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, you are going to love it!

So I have tried virtually every possible combination of bulbs in this thing. I think I have a total of 12 Giesemann bulbs sitting in my basement... Aquablue Azure, Aquablue Coral, Super Purple and Actinic Blue. The problem is that you can't necessarily take bulb combination advice from people that just have T5 fixtures... because you have to take into account how the LEDs affect the overall color.

When I first got the fixture, I tossed in a random set of bulbs... I think (2)Aquablue Coral, an Actinic Blue and a Super Purple. Not 100% satisfied, I kept trying a bunch of different combinations of bulbs and LED settings... it really is an infinite combination. Then I decided to try all of the same T5 bulbs to get a perfect, even coverage of color. I noticed that having one Actinic Blue would not get that coral pop to all of the corals in the tank... more so only the ones that were simply closer to the Actinic Blue bulb. So I decided to try an experiment:
  • I tried all Giesemann Actinic Blue - Then brought up the white LEDs and a tad of blue to get to a 20k look.
  • I tried all Giesemann Aquablue Coral - Then brought up the blue LEDs and a tad of white to get to a 20k look.
The outcome to the eye was almost indistinguishable on the above two combinations. I decided to go with the all Aquablue Coral because I felt that since the T5s were providing the bulk of the illumination coverage, I would want to use the widest spectrum bulb. I have been extremely happy with growth, coverage etc. I may try some Super Actinic at some point, but I'm extremely happy at the moment. I have been running this combination for about 3 months. These photos are from a week ago and are an exact representation of what my tank looks like to the naked eye.

IMG_4278 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_5735 (1) by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_5753 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4357 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4402 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr
This guy's no joke. Great looking tank. I'm looking the 48'' for my 48'' tank. I don't know if I should go the 36''? Looks like you know what you're doing and I appreciate that.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the 48" over your 48" I wish I had a shot of my tank that shows the light so you could see it I use a 48" Giesemann over a Reefer 425xl. Having a light that's the full length ensures more even light even in the corners.

bpseal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the 48" over your 48" I wish I had a shot of my tank that shows the light so you could see it I use a 48" Giesemann over a Reefer 425xl. Having a light that's the full length ensures more even light even in the corners.
Dude show me a picture! I loved the 425XLs. Only reason I didn't go with it is because I wanted to custom plumb and wanted a smidge more volume. How do you like your Aurora? Is it ridic?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any word on when those 625XXL and the Peninsulas are coming out! I have the money just waiting for the peninsula.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no par readings with this light ?

This is from a member on another forum. I took PAR measurements of mine when I had it, but I don't really recall what they were.
Aurora Par.jpg

PaulG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from a member on another forum. I took PAR measurements of mine when I had it, but I don't really recall what they were.
Aurora Par.jpg
@Braodfield are you happy with the Aurora? Have you had good growth? I am looking to replace two AP700s with this fixture on a reefer 450. Would love to hear your feedback? BTW - have mixed reef which has been surviving but not growing :-(

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.7%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back