Giesemann Aurora LED T5 Hybrid Fixture

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Braodfield are you happy with the Aurora? Have you had good growth? I am looking to replace two AP700s with this fixture on a reefer 450. Would love to hear your feedback? BTW - have mixed reef which has been surviving but not growing :-(
Dude, I have two ap700's over a 450 as well and my tank is not only growing, but colorful as heck. Shoot me a message, maybe I can help dial you in.

PaulG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My setup a simple - I run the blue sky 4 at 75% for 5 hours with one hour ramp up and two hours ramp down. I didn't touch the colors and left reds at zero. The lights are about 9 inches from the water level. I get about 250 par at the top for SAP and 130 at the sand level. LPS are happy but not triving. SPS are getting a lot of shadowing effect and lose polips on the shadowed side. I think I have some hot spots, some SPS are doing OK if they are not directly under the light other have trouble. Let me know what you think.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My setup a simple - I run the blue sky 4 at 75% for 5 hours with one hour ramp up and two hours ramp down. I didn't touch the colors and left reds at zero. The lights are about 9 inches from the water level. I get about 250 par at the top for SAP and 130 at the sand level. LPS are happy but not triving. SPS are getting a lot of shadowing effect and lose polips on the shadowed side. I think I have some hot spots, some SPS are doing OK if they are not directly under the light other have trouble. Let me know what you think.
that sounds like a solid schedule, but personally i would push more blues. i read an article that brighter lights at the same intensity will not necessarily bleach the coral, just inhibit the zooxanthelle to fully color up the tissue. i'll inbox you screen shots of my schedule. also, i noticed too with higher intensities WITHOUT the diffusers kessils makes as well i was experiencing random hot spots as well. these lights cook. i run the slight diffusers and all is well.

FernandesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice unit, not sure if it would be better than the ATI Hybrid Powermodule?

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice unit, not sure if it would be better than the ATI Hybrid Powermodule?

I realize I answered you in the other thread, but I'll copy it here for others that may be looking for the same answer:

Main points:

The ATI will have slightly superior T5 reflectors
The ATI is slightly cheaper
The ATI can be had in an 8-bulb version

The Giesemann is easier on the eyes... may be a matter of opinion though. It can also be special ordered in various colors.
The Giesemann has a far superior LED section
The Giesemann is BlueTooth controlled
The Giesemann doesn't have the potential for noisy fans like the ATI

Last edited:

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Braodfield are you happy with the Aurora? Have you had good growth? I am looking to replace two AP700s with this fixture on a reefer 450. Would love to hear your feedback? BTW - have mixed reef which has been surviving but not growing :-(

I don't own the Giesemann Aurora anymore as I have switched over to the Giesemann Spectra. But yes, I had amazing growth, coverage, no shadowing etc. There's no reason you shouldn't be getting good growth and color with the 700s though. I would look into other factors like nutrients and calcium/alk levels.

FernandesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply Broad.
As for aesthetics, the Giesemann is nicer, but the ATI can also be ordered in white(the one I got a quote on)
The clincher is the Bluetooth controlled, as plugging in your laptop to the unit every time you want to tweak something could be a hassle.

Porkchopz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any information on the Genesis? I really like the idea of a T5/LED hybrid and have been planning to go with the Aurora, but then I saw mention of the Genesis as a "new version" of it. All I can really find is some mention of it/videos from about a year ago, but then nothing new.

Any idea when/if this is coming out?

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any information on the Genesis? I really like the idea of a T5/LED hybrid and have been planning to go with the Aurora, but then I saw mention of the Genesis as a "new version" of it. All I can really find is some mention of it/videos from about a year ago, but then nothing new.

Any idea when/if this is coming out?

I would recommend calling CoralVue and see if they have any info. As far as I know, the Genesis won't be a "new version" of the Aurora, rather a cheaper version.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would recommend calling CoralVue and see if they have any info. As far as I know, the Genesis won't be a "new version" of the Aurora, rather a cheaper version.

While that is what I heard I do not know how it can be since it has an updated cluster to the Vervve?
I have been waiting for the Genesis for a while now and I am almost doubting its availability at this point.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I realize I answered you in the other thread, but I'll copy it here for others that may be looking for the same answer:

Main points:

The ATI will have slightly superior T5 reflectors
The ATI is slightly cheaper
The ATI can be had in an 8-bulb version

The Giesemann is easier on the eyes... may be a matter of opinion though. It can also be special ordered in various colors.
The Giesemann has a far superior LED section
The Giesemann is BlueTooth controlled

I am going to add this Giesemann is better made after owning fixtures from both companies. I have one pretty much dead ATI fixture and another with bad fans and ballast.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't get a chance to read the entire thread. But to me it seems that you are getting the major growth from the 4 t5s not the leds. So in my opinion. Wouldn't you be better off just switching to a ati fixture for allot cheaper and maybe adding some reef brights to it?

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that is what I heard I do not know how it can be since it has an updated cluster to the Vervve?
I have been waiting for the Genesis for a while now and I am almost doubting its availability at this point.

Maybe try contacting Giesemann over their Facebook page.

I am going to add this Giesemann is better made after owning fixtures from both companies. I have one pretty much dead ATI fixture and another with bad fans and ballast.

Dang, I forgot about the potentially noisy fans in the ATI fixtures. I edited my post to reflect that.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't get a chance to read the entire thread. But to me it seems that you are getting the major growth from the 4 t5s not the leds. So in my opinion. Wouldn't you be better off just switching to a ati fixture for allot cheaper and maybe adding some reef brights to it?

Who are you referring to?

Porkchopz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted a thread on the CoralVu/Giesemann forum here on R2R, I'll let you all know what they have to say about it. If someone would like to approach Giesemann on their Facebook I'd love to know what they say.... I'd do it myself, but I hate Facebook and thus do not have an account.

Last edited:

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted a thread on the CoralVu/Giesemann forum here on R2R, I'll let you all know what they have to say about it. If someone would like to approach Giesemann on their Facebook I'd love to know what they say.... I'd do it myself, but I hate Facebook and thus do not have an account.

I'm on it!

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just talked to Giesemann, they said August!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just contacted Coralvue to see if they had any info on it.
Giesemann rarely ever uses facebook.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just contacted Coralvue to see if they had any info on it.
Giesemann rarely ever uses facebook.

Ironically Giesemann answered my question on Facebook within minutes!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back