Giesemann Aurora LED T5 Hybrid Fixture

Porkchopz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Awesome! Thanks for getting that info for me. As I'm several months out on this build, I think I'll wait on lights and see what that fixture has to offer and then make the choice.

Again... Thanks for doing that.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! Awesome! Thanks for getting that info for me. As I'm several months out on this build, I think I'll wait on lights and see what that fixture has to offer and then make the choice.

Again... Thanks for doing that.

If they launch then.. I was originally told after Macna last year.
Anyway I hope they do because that would be perfect timing for me too...

PaulG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield - now you are in a unique position to give us a pro con run down of both Aurora and Spectra lights (two very different animals). What are your impressions? Thanks in advance for sharing.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield - now you are in a unique position to give us a pro con run down of both Aurora and Spectra lights (two very different animals). What are your impressions? Thanks in advance for sharing.

@PaulG

First let me say that you can't go wrong with either fixture. Also, since we are only comparing the Giesemann fixtures, I'm only going to compare the two fixtures against each other. I'm not going to mention how well they are crafted compared to other brands and so on.

Aurora

Pros:
  • Fully controllable LED section and 2-channel dimmable T5s.
  • Moonlight mode, storm mode etc.
  • Does not increase tank temperature... at least not on my tank.
  • Amazing coverage

Cons:
  • More expensive up front than the Spectra + ballasts + MH bulbs
  • Fully controllable LED section and 2-channel dimmable T5s... yes, this can also be a bad thing. Some reefers tinker too much or don't know what they are doing. Intense LED settings can quickly fry corals... especially in the white channels.
  • Not much shimmer, even though there is a healthy LED section. The T5 bulbs wash it out.
  • The LED section only has 3 channels of adjustment... which is weak compared to typical LED fixtures. This may hinder your ability to find a spectrum you like.
  • Slightly limited on PAR compared to the Spectra

Spectra

Pros:
  • Simple! Toss in your bulbs of choice and let it go.
  • Cheaper than the Aurora.
  • Metal halide shimmer
  • Amazing coverage
  • More PAR potential than the Aurora... simply toss in a higher wattage MH bulb. You would obviously need selectable ballasts in order to do this. I run 250 watt bulbs currently. If I ever go to more of an SPS dominated tank, I can simply turn the knob on my ballasts to 400 and buy 400 watt bulbs.
  • Can actually run all three lighting sources(LED, T5 and MH). I'm running the 250 MH bulbs, Actinic Blue T5 on the outside bulbs and Biotek Marine 20k LED retrofit bulbs on the inside.

Cons:
  • Not controllable in any way aside from having the outlets on timers. Each MH bulb is on its own power source and the T5 bulbs are on their own power source. You can get a little creative with timers though.... I run mine through my Apex.
  • Increased my tank temperature.
  • Higher yearly maintenance with the need to replace the MH bulbs. The T5s are a wash since both fixtures utilize four of them.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PaulG

First let me say that you can't go wrong with either fixture. Also, since we are only comparing the Giesemann fixtures, I'm only going to compare the two fixtures against each other. I'm not going to mention how well they are crafted compared to other brands and so on.

Aurora

Pros:
  • Fully controllable LED section and 2-channel dimmable T5s.
  • Moonlight mode, storm mode etc.
  • Does not increase tank temperature... at least not on my tank.
  • Amazing coverage

Cons:
  • More expensive up front than the Spectra + ballasts + MH bulbs
  • Fully controllable LED section and 2-channel dimmable T5s... yes, this can also be a bad thing. Some reefers tinker too much or don't know what they are doing. Intense LED settings can quickly fry corals... especially in the white channels.
  • Not much shimmer, even though there is a healthy LED section. The T5 bulbs wash it out.
  • The LED section only has 3 channels of adjustment... which is weak compared to typical LED fixtures. This may hinder your ability to find a spectrum you like.
  • Slightly limited on PAR compared to the Spectra

Spectra

Pros:
  • Simple! Toss in your bulbs of choice and let it go.
  • Cheaper than the Aurora.
  • Metal halide shimmer
  • Amazing coverage
  • More PAR potential than the Aurora... simply toss in a higher wattage MH bulb. You would obviously need selectable ballasts in order to do this. I run 250 watt bulbs currently. If I ever go to more of an SPS dominated tank, I can simply turn the knob on my ballasts to 400 and buy 400 watt bulbs.
  • Can actually run all three lighting sources(LED, T5 and MH). I'm running the 250 MH bulbs, Actinic Blue T5 on the outside bulbs and Biotek Marine 20k LED retrofit bulbs on the inside.

Cons:
  • Not controllable in any way aside from having the outlets on timers. Each MH bulb is on its own power source and the T5 bulbs are on their own power source. You can get a little creative with timers though.... I run mine through my Apex.
  • Increased my tank temperature.
  • Higher yearly maintenance with the need to replace the MH bulbs. The T5s are a wash since both fixtures utilize four of them.

Do u think buying one of the hybrid kits is worth it or should I do with everything else I do: diy it with t5 metal halide and leds for even cheaper then the T5 and led one costs. This will be for a 4ft 120gallon tank

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u think buying one of the hybrid kits is worth it or should I do with everything else I do: diy it with t5 metal halide and leds for even cheaper then the T5 and led one costs. This will be for a 4ft 120gallon tank

It was for me because I wanted something elegant hanging over my clean, rimless tank. If I had a canopy, then I probably would of made my own lighting setup.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was for me because I wanted something elegant hanging over my clean, rimless tank. If I had a canopy, then I probably would of made my own lighting setup.

It's only going to be for 4years Max so I'll probably do 2kessil a360we then add a ati 36" later on

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can still have something clean and elegant with a diy. Just did this last week. These are the miro t5 retrofit kits:

05dd5907606d9b352ba7cce53a7e2035.jpg
0f4fb77a215dae5be437a5974de88798.jpg
726e551a4112a5d7678601d1dc840dea.jpg
29eef068e2b09d1a171c1e84644bed6d.jpg
36dd0e2713bc80755f1dba58c596aa44.jpg

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the back of the tank painted Black. How did u remove it if u did.

It's simply vinyl, just peel it off. However, if you have good access to the back of the tank, then I would recommend using a straight edge and a razor blade to leave the overflow section in place.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's simply vinyl, just peel it off. However, if you have good access to the back of the tank, then I would recommend using a straight edge and a razor blade to leave the overflow section in place.

Ok and why would that be. I assume to block light to stop algae from growing. Did U leave the overflow still covered

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok and why would that be. I assume to block light to stop algae from growing. Did U leave the overflow still covered

The overflow is simply tinted glass... so if your lights are on and there isn't something black on the backside, you can easily see the inside of the overflow and all of its workings.

My tank was already in place and 4" off of the wall. So there was no way for me to get back in there to leave the overflow section in place. So I peeled the entire piece of vinyl off then went back and double stuck a thin piece of black ABS plastic, the shape of the overflow, to the back of the tank.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow is simply tinted glass... so if your lights are on and there isn't something black on the backside, you can easily see the inside of the overflow and all of its workings.

My tank was already in place and 4" off of the wall. So there was no way for me to get back in there to leave the overflow section in place. So I peeled the entire piece of vinyl off then went back and double stuck a thin piece of black ABS plastic, the shape of the overflow, to the back of the tank.

Ok thanks. I plan on buying the reefer 250 soon and the 24" mh/t5 fixture u have. What else would I need to buy besides the bulbs. And what do u recommend for the ballasts and how many. I want 250w ballast tho. And what color bulbs did u go with for the t5s. What about the mh

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I plan on buying the reefer 250 soon and the 24" mh/t5 fixture u have. What else would I need to buy besides the bulbs. And what do u recommend for the ballasts and how many. I want 250w ballast tho. And what color bulbs did u go with for the t5s. What about the mh

I prefer the Luxcore selectable ballasts.... you just need one since the 24" fixture only has one MH bulb. I'm running all Giesemann bulbs in my Spectra. Giesemann 21k for the MH bulbs and Giesemann Actinic Blue for all four T5 bulbs. The Spectra comes with the hanging kit. So if you plan on hanging it, you won't need any other hardware aside from fasteners to attach the hanging kit to the ceiling.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the Luxcore selectable ballasts.... you just need one since the 24" fixture only has one MH bulb. I'm running all Giesemann bulbs in my Spectra. Giesemann 21k for the MH bulbs and Giesemann Actinic Blue for all four T5 bulbs. The Spectra comes with the hanging kit. So if you plan on hanging it, you won't need any other hardware aside from fasteners to attach the hanging kit to the ceiling.

I can't drill my Room Ceiling my parents wouldn't be happy. I'll make a mount that attaches to the floor or the cabinet if I go that way

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes it's pretty easy to take off. Took me about 45 minutes but that's because I only had 4 inches behind the tank space to work with. Very happy I did it; don't think I would have without seeing broadfield's tank first.

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help anyone!! haven't been able to connect my new Aurora to my MacPro. It's been "connecting" for 20minutes". I can't find any info on what to do with a problem like this. Any help will be greatly appreciated !!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back