Giesemann Aurora LED T5 Hybrid Fixture

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help anyone!! haven't been able to connect my new Aurora to my MacPro. It's been "connecting" for 20minutes". I can't find any info on what to do with a problem like this. Any help will be greatly appreciated !!
Sorry...I remember having a similar issue but it's been so long I can't remember what I did.

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally got it connected, but the two inside t5's (closet to the led's) dont light. Switched the bulbs around to make sure they were good and they worked fine. Anyone else have this happen?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The outside pair and the inside pair are on different channels. Do you have both set?

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The outside pair and the inside pair are on different channels. Do you have both set?
Sorry, been sick. Made the LFS store, who sold me the light, come back and they fixed it. I think the first guy that installed it didn't have them set correctly. Thank you for your help!

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, been sick. Made the LFS store, who sold me the light, come back and they fixed it. I think the first guy that installed it didn't have them set correctly. Thank you for your help!
Glad it got worked out.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some updated PAR levels of my fixture. Blue+ x4 100%, Both LED Blues 100%, White LEDs 20%:

This is the 36" fixture?
I was expecting a lot more par at 100%
Do you run your t5 at 100% also?

MrSkumfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes T5s at 100% for 8 hours 4blue+ both blue LED channels at 100% and white LEDs at 20% for 1 hour with a 2 hour ramp up/down for the whites.

Primetastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First post here for me. I have a Red Sea max e 170 one year old. Aurora 24" with 3 ati blue plus and one purple plus. I placed one layer of parchment paper and contact paper to secure it in place. Basically a make shift diffuser. I found it really helped keeping my lps from getting fried and everything just started looking happier. I then slowly increased the blue led channels up over a one month period and now they are both ramping to a max of 100%. I keep the white led channel at 15% max for one hour mid-day. Now I just need to get my phosphates down (currently at 0.06). I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts on this thread.

IMG_7847.JPG

IMG_7849.JPG

IMG_7857.JPG

Douglas Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield I have a Reefer 350 and I am looking into upgrading from two AI Vegas to the Giesemann Aurora but I am not a huge fan of the edge to edge look of a fixture like the 48" Aurora on a 48" tank.

My question is, am I going to lose anything if I go with the 36" Aurora? I know that they only have two LED modules vs the 48" having 3 but am I really going to notice?

I know that I will have to mount it higher but that doesn't really bother me since it will make the tank easier to access.

Also, this is going on a mixed reef tank with only a couple of SPS at the moment but wanting to add more.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield I have a Reefer 350 and I am looking into upgrading from two AI Vegas to the Giesemann Aurora but I am not a huge fan of the edge to edge look of a fixture like the 48" Aurora on a 48" tank.

My question is, am I going to lose anything if I go with the 36" Aurora? I know that they only have two LED modules vs the 48" having 3 but am I really going to notice?

I know that I will have to mount it higher but that doesn't really bother me since it will make the tank easier to access.

Also, this is going on a mixed reef tank with only a couple of SPS at the moment but wanting to add more.

You will be just fine with the 36" model. I do not like the edge-to-edge look quite as much either.... which is why I have the 48" over my 60" tank. For starters, you will be able to run the fixture higher without having spillover on the ends. Also as you stated, it makes maintenance much easier. On top of that, it helps keep temps down a little more.

As for coverage, it will do great if you have rock work that slopes up from the ends.... which most setups do. If you have rock work that slopes up quickly, then it will block a tad bit of the light from the ends. But even at that, I actually like it because it gives me a place to put my acans and other lower light corals.

Douglas Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have the 36” fixture on order from BRS but I am wondering how you guys have been hanging it? I imagine it is a lot heavier than my current AI Vegas. Did you guys have to put extra studs in the ceiling to support the weight or did you just take your chances or what?

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have the 36” fixture on order from BRS but I am wondering how you guys have been hanging it? I imagine it is a lot heavier than my current AI Vegas. Did you guys have to put extra studs in the ceiling to support the weight or did you just take your chances or what?

If you are only used to your Vegas, then you are going to be shocked with how much it weighs... it's a tank!!!

Yes, it absolutely needs to go into studs. In my case, I got 100% lucky. The floor joists on the second floor run parallel with the tank... and there just happened to be one centered over the tank, front-to-back. If not, you will need to do some form of a beam to screw into the studs, then hang the fixture from the beam. This can be as basic as an unpainted 2x4 mounted to the ceiling lol or something much more decor appropriate. Whether it be a nice, large stained beam, a killer piece of steel that is painted etc or even a track lighting rail that you mount up there and come up with a way to hang the fixture from.

Douglas Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are only used to your Vegas, then you are going to be shocked with how much it weighs... it's a tank!!!

Yes, it absolutely needs to go into studs. In my case, I got 100% lucky. The floor joists on the second floor run parallel with the tank... and there just happened to be one centered over the tank, front-to-back. If not, you will need to do some form of a beam to screw into the studs, then hang the fixture from the beam. This can be as basic as an unpainted 2x4 mounted to the ceiling lol or something much more decor appropriate. Whether it be a nice, large stained beam, a killer piece of steel that is painted etc or even a track lighting rail that you mount up there and come up with a way to hang the fixture from.

Hmm, thanks for that information! I will have to see what I can do then. Kinda depends on where the joists in my ceiling line up.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, thanks for that information! I will have to see what I can do then. Kinda depends on where the joists in my ceiling line up.
I built bracket using parts from 8020.net. Attached them to the back of the stand.

Ben Seaver

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you notice on my tank, I'm using a 48" model on a 60" tank.... you will be just fine;). I purposely bought the 48" instead of the 60" for a couple of reasons.
  • I prefer the look of a fixture that doesn't go end-to-end.
  • I like to run my fixture a little higher for easier tank maintenance. If I had a full length fixture, I would get light bleed off the ends of the tank at the height I run it at. The shorter fixture actually works out perfectly in this scenario... as you can see in my tank, I get a nice even coverage. The higher fixture also keeps the water a tad cooler... not that it puts off that much heat anyway. But for some, every little bit of heat reduction matters.
I realize in your case you don't really have a choice... because they don't make a 32" fixture. But trust me, you will not be disappointed with a 24". In my opinion, it's the perfect size.
I have a 72” long by 36” deep tank. Do you think the 48” would suffice for that size? Thanks

wyoung609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the Aurora would perform well in a canopy?
Cosmetically, the Giesemann is FAR superior. I have also known users that had problems with the fans failing and/or noisy fans on the ATI. The Giesemann Aurora is dead silent. But as far as performance, I don't see how they could be too far off from each other. With the Giesemann product, you are paying for German construction and the visual appeal. If you are going to put it up in a canopy, then I don't think I would get the Giesemann.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 72” long by 36” deep tank. Do you think the 48” would suffice for that size? Thanks

Definitely not! Not even the 60", because like the 36"and 48", it uses 2 MH bulbs. You would want the 72" fixture, which uses 3 MH bulbs and 4 60" T5 bulbs. Especially since your tank is really deep at 36"... that's a lot of water depth.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the Aurora would perform well in a canopy?

If you are making it an open top canopy then no problem. If you are making it an enclosed canopy then you will need a fairly mean fan setup.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back