Giesemann Infiniti HQI Replacement Ballast?

58Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

Reposting this thread from General Reef Discussion, hoping to hear some helpful thoughts on the topic....

Thanks for any thoughts you can offer....

Mike

Hi,

Hoping you might be able to help me in locating a replacement HQI ballast for my Giesemann Infiniti 150w/T5 combination fixture.

The 150w Reef Brite HQI ballast on the BRS site appears to have a different type of connection than the ones on the Giesemann. Are others available, or maybe is there a way to wire this to work with the fixture I have? If not, would your folks have any tips on where I might be able to find something like the original HQI ballast/controller? I have attached a couple pictures of what is on the fixture now.

Thanks for any insights you might be able to offer….

2117196-0fdd55a92357c349830caf78cbd63544.jpg IMG_2510.jpeg

OP
OP
58Mike

58Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

I actually already checked with them based on a tip from BRS customer support, but someone there just sent a link to a 400w Icecap ballast they carry...don't think that's going to work for me.

Any one else have thoughts to share...?

OP
OP
58Mike

58Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck, checked on their site and exchanged email with Giesemann customer service. Ballast no longer available for US market. May have to try something else....

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hamilton has m81 equivalent ballasts, or whatever the spec is for 150w HQI. You will need to wire on new connectors to anything, so get ready for that.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@A. grandis might have some insight for you.

Hamilton has m81 equivalent ballasts, or whatever the spec is for 150w HQI. You will need to wire on new connectors to anything, so get ready for that.
As far as I know the right ballast would be the HQI M81.
Hamilton doesn't have M81, but they've got a HQIM102 150W ballast.
This one should work:
If you need change the wiring, you need to change the wiring.

OP
OP
58Mike

58Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks, I'll take a look at these and see if this is something I can work out or if it is just time to move on to a whole new fixture. The "External Control Unit" aspect of this unit, which integrates the HQI and T5's in some way, may be more than I can handle. It seems like it is more than just swapping out a generic HQI ballast and possibly wiring in a new connector. These also appear to be sealed units, so I am not sure I can just rip it apart and try to figure it out.

It has been a fantastic light for the 11 years since installed. Only had one issue where I had to swap out a blown T5 ballast on the opposite side. As much as I love the light, it may just be time to look at something new....

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks, I'll take a look at these and see if this is something I can work out or if it is just time to move on to a whole new fixture. The "External Control Unit" aspect of this unit, which integrates the HQI and T5's in some way, may be more than I can handle. It seems like it is more than just swapping out a generic HQI ballast and possibly wiring in a new connector. These also appear to be sealed units, so I am not sure I can just rip it apart and try to figure it out.

It has been a fantastic light for the 11 years since installed. Only had one issue where I had to swap out a blown T5 ballast on the opposite side. As much as I love the light, it may just be time to look at something new....
You just have to figure out the wires that will connect to the ballasts and cut them to connect. They might have different colors though (like green/yellow, blue, gray or brown) and you will need to be very careful.
This is an example for the correct color code to connect a Giesemann Spectra to an electronic Luxcore ballast as a reference:
1622168504959.png

1622168589205.png

Call Hamilton and as for Dave.
He will guide you through the process, if needed.
Not a big deal at all! Keep that Infinity.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you can figure it out. The Infiniti and spectra are the rolls Royce of fixtures IMO.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He can also use any 150W electronic ballast with it, like the Luxcore or the Icecap:

Infinity is an amazing fixture!

OP
OP
58Mike

58Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the leads and tips, much appreciated.

Would this one work as well? https://ballastshop.com/powerselect-ps15b90l-150w-slim-line-electronic-metal-halide-ballast/ Not pretty or as versatile as others suggested, but seems like the specs are close and in a nice, small form factor.

I'll need to set this aside for now, will be out of town for a while. But when back will remove the old ballast/controller from the system to see if I can figure out how to wire in a different ballast and keep the controller part working...seems like that just brings one cord down from fixture and breaks out into two cords to separate on timers/reef controller. As suggested, I would really prefer to keep the Infiniti if I can fix it

Again, thanks for taking the time to share your insights....

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the leads and tips, much appreciated.

Would this one work as well? https://ballastshop.com/powerselect-ps15b90l-150w-slim-line-electronic-metal-halide-ballast/ Not pretty or as versatile as others suggested, but seems like the specs are close and in a nice, small form factor.

I'll need to set this aside for now, will be out of town for a while. But when back will remove the old ballast/controller from the system to see if I can figure out how to wire in a different ballast and keep the controller part working...seems like that just brings one cord down from fixture and breaks out into two cords to separate on timers/reef controller. As suggested, I would really prefer to keep the Infiniti if I can fix it

Again, thanks for taking the time to share your insights....

Maybe post here....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back