Gig ‘ems Anemone Dedicated Tank

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been working on a species dedicated tank/frag tank system for a while now and I thought it would be a good time to share it. I have a custom built 50 gallon rimless that I have H. magnifica anemones in plumbed in with a 50 gallon frag tank and 20 gallon sump.

Magnifica anemones have always been my favorite, but it was difficult having them in my DT since they grow so large and have a powerful sting, devastating nearby Acro colonies. I devised to have a dedicated tank just for the anemones where they can grow and move around with no consequences. I needed more room for SPS frags too, so it seemed like a good fit to have them separated in two tanks plumbed together.

Eventually I would like to get a S. gigantea in my anemone tank too, but for now I have three magnificas in there. One mag I’ve had for a while, and two are new additions I recently acclimated.

1c35f17ebe9149ec3b882070ed8521a6.jpg

b7369f7297e2f50e1b6af8d1eff745b4.jpg

3a47e8fe66dc8df6d8f69cb65e0a3e25.jpg

1b78882b78061dc0034880ca219d0333.jpg

b7c5c95003f4d6a40918f97aae938fa6.jpg

The mag on the left has the most amazing coloration, I wish it was more visible. Here’s a picture of its brightly colored foot that you can’t see at the moment. I had to share this picture of it’s foot during acclimation to demonstrate what I mean. Hopefully one day it will extend higher out so its foot is more visible.
5bf7df77b622aa0be518edddb9d05e49.jpg

The small mag on the right came in a little washed out, but has a gorgeous purple base and the potential for green tentacles. I’m hoping it will gain some attractive colors in the tentacles over time.
284982a6b0a3e248e1c1aab7c43663cd.jpg

mimiboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's very beautiful.just wanna know if you put it in a DT and treated it with cipro before putting into your display tank?

mimiboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very beautiful anemones!amazing.H.MEG is my favorite anemone too.and I wanna know if you ever put it in a quarantine tank and treat it with cripo ?

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very beautiful anemones!amazing.H.MEG is my favorite anemone too.and I wanna know if you ever put it in a quarantine tank and treat it with cripo ?
Thank you! I always treat and QT my mags when they come in. It's not worth the risk IMO, even when they appear to be happy and healthy. I've had mags look healthy when they come in and then decline a week later without treatment. When we're dealing with anemones with very slow reproduction, it's just not worth the gamble to go untreated.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting over the anemone tank is an Orphek Atlantik V4 inside a V1 body. I upgraded my original V1 earlier this year. I like the results so far, the anemones look great under it. Although when I initially set it up over clean white sand it looked like the rainbow bridge from Asgard with all the different colors dancing around [emoji38]

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for dip?

I don’t dip anemones, I’ve never seen any parasites come in on an anemone. I’m not aware of any parasites for anemones to be honest. I do treat them with antibiotics though. We’re not completely certain whether these anemones come in with bacterial infections or if antibiotics just keep at bay bacterial blooms during acclimation, but a lot of people have had success with acclimating these larger anemones with antibiotics to improve survival rates. I’ve tried several antibiotics, but ciprofloxacin has had the best rate of success for me.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I always treat and QT my mags when they come in. It's not worth the risk IMO, even when they appear to be happy and healthy. I've had mags look healthy when they come in and then decline a week later without treatment. When we're dealing with anemones with very slow reproduction, it's just not worth the gamble to go untreated.
Ok what do You "treat" these mags with ?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok what do You "treat" these mags with ?
Pretty sure he does the usual cipro or other anti-biotic treatment that you can find threads on:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-i-cipro.211822/

That thread spells out one of the best ways to treat new anemones that are recently collected/imported and have possible infections. I believe gig'em might use the same or slightly modified versions of that treatment.

Overall there's an observation period, though if it's bad enough you begin the cipro treatment immediately.

Chasing-Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question but would there be an issue with keeping different kinds of anemones in a tank? For example say Magnificas and bubble tips?

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question but would there be an issue with keeping different kinds of anemones in a tank? For example say Magnificas and bubble tips?

Depends on the species, some can live together better than others. BTAs and mags have never been an issue in my experience.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Magnifica moved to a spot where my BTA's were thriving (I guess the spot was a good nem spot). One BTA moved right away, the other battled for weeks and ultimately almost died. It moved finally and is browned out, lost a lot of tentacles, and seems to be on the brink of disaster. It was pretty stubborn and wouldn't move. I don't think they can touch, but they can coexist. The magnifica would win every time, just depends on how badly the BTAs would want to fight.

Back