OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Magnifica moved to a spot where my BTA's were thriving (I guess the spot was a good nem spot). One BTA moved right away, the other battled for weeks and ultimately almost died. It moved finally and is browned out, lost a lot of tentacles, and seems to be on the brink of disaster. It was pretty stubborn and wouldn't move. I don't think they can touch, but they can coexist. The magnifica would win every time, just depends on how badly the BTAs would want to fight.

Oh yes, a mag will beat a BTA in a fist fight almost any day. Mags are much stickier and pack a more powerful sting. I have never felt a BTA, but my mag leaves a little red rash on my forearm when I brush against it.

Is your BTA getting any better? Or is it continuing to shrink?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, a mag will beat a BTA in a fist fight almost any day. Mags are much stickier and pack a more powerful sting. I have never felt a BTA, but my mag leaves a little red rash on my forearm when I brush against it.

Is your BTA getting any better? Or is it continuing to shrink?

BTA is definitely recovering now!

Wildblue4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I always treat and QT my mags when they come in. It's not worth the risk IMO, even when they appear to be happy and healthy. I've had mags look healthy when they come in and then decline a week later without treatment. When we're dealing with anemones with very slow reproduction, it's just not worth the gamble to go untreated.

Gig do you have any Mags for sale I have one I’m putting in QT with Cipro but not sure of the results and I desperately want a Mag for my Clown pair. I pm you.
If not where did you get yours from?

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gig do you have any Mags for sale I have one I’m putting in QT with Cipro but not sure of the results and I desperately want a Mag for my Clown pair. I pm you.
If not where did you get yours from?

PM responded. For those of you who read this and are interested, the answer is yes and no. Yes I plan on picking it back up again, but at the moment I’ve been traveling a lot for work, which makes it difficult to treat and keep an eye on the nems. I only like to treat one at a time to give it my full attention and then hold it for several months in a recovery/observation period to be certain it is healthy before rehoming it to an interested hobbyist. The process is lengthy, requires a lot of resources, and feels like forever!

I have been toying with manually splitting some of my mags and selling off the clones to share with other enthusiasts. Problem with this strategy is 1. I’m nervous about possibly losing one of my established mags and 2. The time for them to recover and regain their full shape is a lot longer than you would see in another species like a BTA. I’m still going to give it a try, it would certainly be preferable to buying wild mags and wasting water and resources treating them.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM responded. For those of you who read this and are interested, the answer is yes and no. Yes I plan on picking it back up again, but at the moment I’ve been traveling a lot for work, which makes it difficult to treat and keep an eye on the nems. I only like to treat one at a time to give it my full attention and then hold it for several months in a recovery/observation period to be certain it is healthy before rehoming it to an interested hobbyist. The process is lengthy, requires a lot of resources, and feels like forever!

I have been toying with manually splitting some of my mags and selling off the clones to share with other enthusiasts. Problem with this strategy is 1. I’m nervous about possibly losing one of my established mags and 2. The time for them to recover and regain their full shape is a lot longer than you would see in another species like a BTA. I’m still going to give it a try, it would certainly be preferable to buying wild mags and wasting water and resources treating them.

I'll get in line for a colorful "split" =)

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you using for flow in that tank ? My mag loves FLOW it placed itself about 12" away from my current wave pump

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been gone for a couple weeks so I thought I would snap a couple of quick photos. Sorry for the terrible iPhone quality...
58d1cd8f6e1ed8b50ae3ea77256b3221.jpg

5ddc8f988ca99ec4bac8b68088083393.jpg

31d7318aece48bf4ffc3d821e4ee7db4.jpg

f83765aed807f52ed50847e8c1b9cfaa.jpg

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Hope mine get like yours. In that last picture is that two mags?

Yes two. The big green one up top is my oldest mag, the pale small one below is a new one. I’m curious how the smaller one will look when it regains it’s colors.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Do they go walking on the rock much? Or have they found their happy place?

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. The egg crate on the left are covering a powerhead?

Yeah, since it’s an anemone tank I wanted to make sure it was bullet proof in case anemones start moving around. It’s just not worth the risk, if one anemone gets close enough and gets pulled in it’s pretty much a downhill slide for the rest of the inhabitants in the tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back