OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Gig. Is this too much flow? He moved up to this spot but seems like a lot of flow on him.

Hey Steven, mags are glutens for flow, they like their tentacles being pushed around by the current. What you have there is fine and I can see it enjoying even more flow if it was provided for it. The trick is keeping strong variable flow towards the tentacles and not just blasting water at the foot of the anemone.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning mag snuggles!
4c988d75a2cc08634b13dbf5767fd1e4.jpg

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems look great. How big is that clam?

In my experience, small clams just can't sustain just through photosynthesis, and need a ton of stuff to filter through. I've had the best experience with clams smaller than 5" to feed manually. My successes were when I had the clams in bowl with no lid, where the lip of the bowl was above the mantel, and if it ended up staying put there, I would lift the bowl out and then just dose it with a ton of food to filter through. Then I would put it back in the tank. I found that doing this at least twice a week had really great results. Ever since then, I just got much larger clams.

My tanks were also very low nutrient, with tons of filtration, so that might have been a very unique problem for my specific tank.

Anyway, goodluck! Just thought I'd mention that especially since the photo makes the clam look on the smaller side.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems look great. How big is that clam?

In my experience, small clams just can't sustain just through photosynthesis, and need a ton of stuff to filter through. I've had the best experience with clams smaller than 5" to feed manually. My successes were when I had the clams in bowl with no lid, where the lip of the bowl was above the mantel, and if it ended up staying put there, I would lift the bowl out and then just dose it with a ton of food to filter through. Then I would put it back in the tank. I found that doing this at least twice a week had really great results. Ever since then, I just got much larger clams.

My tanks were also very low nutrient, with tons of filtration, so that might have been a very unique problem for my specific tank.

Anyway, goodluck! Just thought I'd mention that especially since the photo makes the clam look on the smaller side.

Yeah I hear you, I have been feeding the clam a lot with this method. It’s in a bowl so I prop it up in the tank so the surface of the bowl is level with the surface of the tank to get a little water exchange over time. I then let it sit with phyto for an hour or two.

Picture for reference:
5f2cf16ceebc629926e64fb52feb7262.jpg

I haven’t yet seen any new mantle growth. I’ll feel much better once I see it actively growing

Top down shot [emoji7]
0392151ca121583b7a23f29eb59912ac.jpg

bknope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I hear you, I have been feeding the clam a lot with this method. It’s in a bowl so I prop it up in the tank so the surface of the bowl is level with the surface of the tank to get a little water exchange over time. I then let it sit with phyto for an hour or two.

Picture for reference:
5f2cf16ceebc629926e64fb52feb7262.jpg

I haven’t yet seen any new mantle growth. I’ll feel much better once I see it actively growing

Top down shot [emoji7]
0392151ca121583b7a23f29eb59912ac.jpg

This is so beautiful! Where did you get it?

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super exciting news y’all! I finally got my hands on one of my most coveted anemones of all time. My LFS some how got its hands on a small baby blue gigantea anemone and I was able to trade in for it. Words can’t describe how ecstatic I am about this acquisition! I can’t wait for it to color up and grow. [emoji7]
f3f8b81f6886869e4fe731d6f0a91e58.jpg

2ea97e868b535cfe284781ec5d018214.jpg

033a3b813d2d8377fd4ce529c11f740f.jpg

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you find all these great specimens? I have only seen one or maybe two in my five years of reefing.

Me to to be honest. It’s easier to buy high end BTAs these days than decently colored large anemones. The two gigs I recently acquired was just dumb luck. Someone traded the blue gig into my LFS and I happened to be there before it was purchased and this new green gig I bought from Aquatic Collection when I saw their Facebook post. I’m constantly looking for these guys so whenever I see one available, I immediately jump on it.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super exciting news y’all! I finally got my hands on one of my most coveted anemones of all time. My LFS some how got its hands on a small baby blue gigantea anemone and I was able to trade in for it. Words can’t describe how ecstatic I am about this acquisition! I can’t wait for it to color up and grow. [emoji7]
f3f8b81f6886869e4fe731d6f0a91e58.jpg

2ea97e868b535cfe284781ec5d018214.jpg

033a3b813d2d8377fd4ce529c11f740f.jpg

Awesome score gig 'em! That would be one heck of nice LFS to go to.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me to to be honest. It’s easier to buy high end BTAs these days than decently colored large anemones. The two gigs I recently acquired was just dumb luck. Someone traded the blue gig into my LFS and I happened to be there before it was purchased and this new green gig I bought from Aquatic Collection when I saw their Facebook post. I’m constantly looking for these guys so whenever I see one available, I immediately jump on it.

Luck* to be honest. Didn’t meant to say me haha

Sharkbate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Magnifica moved to a spot where my BTA's were thriving (I guess the spot was a good nem spot). One BTA moved right away, the other battled for weeks and ultimately almost died. It moved finally and is browned out, lost a lot of tentacles, and seems to be on the brink of disaster. It was pretty stubborn and wouldn't move. I don't think they can touch, but they can coexist. The magnifica would win every time, just depends on how badly the BTAs would want to fight.

I have a Nem Nano system , it has RBTA a plenty two green bubble tips a mini maxi and two Mags one being a split just recently . All seem to do fine together and are always in close proximity and even touching . My pair of mixed clowns are in heaven ..... I run carbon in a HOB skimmer and do weekly water changes .....

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back