OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever tried a period of darkness followed by a temperature increase to induce spawning? I know light/temperature changes are used to induce spawning in labs for at least one species of anemone (I’d have to search for the article), it was not a hobby anemone, not aptasia, but something smaller like that I believe…..I believe it’s also used to induce spawns in abalones….just curious if anyone has done any experimenting?
I think the species you’re thinking of is Nematostella vectensis. I read an article on how to induce them to spawn years ago, if I remember it had to do with feeding them and then stressing them. I haven’t personally tried it with gigs, but I’ve done plenty of things that would stress them out and I have yet to see the gigs spawn.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Congrats on the feature. I realized it was you as soon as I heard about the red gig!
Now that you're a celebrity, what are your plans for the future of this project? Any special things in the works that you can pull back the curtains on?

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, congratulations on the recognition! Well deserved! Great information and a good read!
Can we get a video of that prized red gigantea?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do remember reading that paper and yes, it was determined that magnificas and giganteas are more closely related.
I read that paper to. I wish I can do DNA analysis of some of the carpets that I think Haddoni/Gigantea hybrids.
I think it won’t be long until you get Gigantea to be sexually reproduce.

One of these day I would love to visit your tank.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that paper to. I wish I can do DNA analysis of some of the carpets that I think Haddoni/Gigantea hybrids.
I think it won’t be long until you get Gigantea to be sexually reproduce.

One of these day I would love to visit your tank.
You’re welcome to come by any time!

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Congrats on the feature. I realized it was you as soon as I heard about the red gig!
Now that you're a celebrity, what are your plans for the future of this project? Any special things in the works that you can pull back the curtains on?
Haha! Thanks y’all, I appreciate the kind words. Nothing at the moment unfortunately, just been busy keeping the system alive and raising a young family. Still working towards getting the gigs to reproduce sexually but haven’t observed any success there yet.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back