Gig ‘ems Grand Gigantea Gathering

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to make a thread that follows my dealings with Stychodactyla gigantea (gig) carpet anemones and post updates to some experiments with them.

My first post I want to introduce maybe the most rare gig I’ve come across so far, a red gig. The classification of this anemone was under question for a while, but I flew out to California, brought it back with me, treated it, and it’s my opinion that this is indeed a red gig.

My reasoning for why I think it’s a gig is because it does have the trademark verrucae, though they aren’t the bright purple that I’m used to. Additionally the anemone has two siphonoglyphs with bright purple spots on them inside the mouth that is common among my other gigs. Lastly, the tentacles are longer than that of haddoni and stick to my finger to the point that they tear off the anemone. I have seen this with my other gigs as well.

E896395C-A767-4CC5-8E65-D98C1A0DF71E.jpeg

Verrucae
4225E88B-6EAB-412F-9E9E-5D0C858BB7EA.jpeg

Fluorescent red under actinics
79B25BB2-C565-4826-B473-EE6F9A7683C5.jpeg

Siphonoglyphs
B5E2F397-AF14-4E77-BFD5-9C500B75D5B5.jpeg

My intent is to figure out how to spawn gigs in captivity and use the red to bring some amazing color morphs to the hobby that are truly sustainably sourced. I’ve successfully spawned gold torches in my system and I’m hopeful I can do the same with the anemones. I’m also experimenting with some asexual reproductive strategies of gigs too, which I will post about later.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s soo cool! I’ve had bubble tips spawn , only once and it happend when I did a water change with water that was sitting outside probly a big temp difference with warmer water coming in

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received my first gig. The 3-4” blue gig is more like 10-12”……guess I’ll have to move it out of the nano tank much sooner than expected. Currently in cipro treatment just in case. Below is a pic straight from the bag. Interested to see how your efforts progress

8A57EAC0-B2E7-4CDF-B10C-18D76166CB82.jpeg
8A57EAC0-B2E7-4CDF-B10C-18D76166CB82.jpeg

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got some pretty weird colored ones also..Not the standard blue , purple green or tan..1 is blueish green and the other dark colored with blue/green tentacles...I have another that is very light seafoam green color....
I find that mine color up differently than most -As my DT uses NSW...not sure if that's really it...but worth mentioning..

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I wanted to make a thread that follows my dealings with Stychodactyla gigantea (gig) carpet anemones and post updates to some experiments with them.

My first post I want to introduce maybe the most rare gig I’ve come across so far, a red gig. The classification of this anemone was under question for a while, but I flew out to California, brought it back with me, treated it, and it’s my opinion that this is indeed a red gig.

My reasoning for why I think it’s a gig is because it does have the trademark verrucae, though they aren’t the bright purple that I’m used to. Additionally the anemone has two siphonoglyphs with bright purple spots on them inside the mouth that is common among my other gigs. Lastly, the tentacles are longer than that of haddoni and stick to my finger to the point that they tear off the anemone. I have seen this with my other gigs as well.

E896395C-A767-4CC5-8E65-D98C1A0DF71E.jpeg

Verrucae
4225E88B-6EAB-412F-9E9E-5D0C858BB7EA.jpeg

Fluorescent red under actinics
79B25BB2-C565-4826-B473-EE6F9A7683C5.jpeg

Siphonoglyphs
B5E2F397-AF14-4E77-BFD5-9C500B75D5B5.jpeg

My intent is to figure out how to spawn gigs in captivity and use the red to bring some amazing color morphs to the hobby that are truly sustainably sourced. I’ve successfully spawned gold torches in my system and I’m hopeful I can do the same with the anemones. I’m also experimenting with some asexual reproductive strategies of gigs too, which I will post about later.
I’ve see Very very large red haddoni on the regular that look like that. for some reason the giants always have longer tentacles and faint verracue. I think they might be more of a cross over like the yellowish ones that come In as well. they have sort of a mix between haddoni and gigatea characteristics. But I’m pretty sure magnifica and gigantea are more closely related than gig and haddoni so, it might just be a whole different sub species just not recognized.

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Big shipment today you can see one of the green haddoni looks like that red some verracue and longer tentacles

lemonade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely insane! It has my vote for Gigantea. I know they’re out there it’s so cool to see someone on the forum with one. Looking forward to updates of this.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a red gig to me! Probably the third one I’ve seen. There is one at Greenrich Aquaria in CT and the other arrived in San Diego but died a couple of weeks later. Best of luck with it!

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a red gig to me! Probably the third one I’ve seen. There is one at Greenrich Aquaria in CT and the other arrived in San Diego but died a couple of weeks later. Best of luck with it!
I remember the one in San Diego. I can’t find the thread, but I remember that it didn’t last. I’m curious about more details on the one at Greenrich

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve see Very very large red haddoni on the regular that look like that. for some reason the giants always have longer tentacles and faint verracue. I think they might be more of a cross over like the yellowish ones that come In as well. they have sort of a mix between haddoni and gigatea characteristics. But I’m pretty sure magnifica and gigantea are more closely related than gig and haddoni so, it might just be a whole different sub species just not recognized.
Do you have a picture of the siphonoglyphs of any of your haddoni? I have a theory Id like to test.

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
What part is that?? I have plenty of large haddoni in my care rn including a super rare rainbow. I’ll take pics of whatever that is just don’t know what I’m taking a pic of?:’)

Back