Gig ‘ems Grand Gigantea Gathering

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the one in San Diego. I can’t find the thread, but I remember that it didn’t last. I’m curious about more details on the one at Greenrich
This was the one at Greenwich Aquaria, but last time I visited it was no longer there (they kept it in the basement with some other large nems).

Attachments

• F758234E-A5DE-4246-9423-A1E02E91D526.jpeg
    F758234E-A5DE-4246-9423-A1E02E91D526.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 173
OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part is that?? I have plenty of large haddoni in my care rn including a super rare rainbow. I’ll take pics of whatever that is just don’t know what I’m taking a pic of?:’)
It’s the little flaps right inside the mouth. If you have any haddoni with a slightly open mouth you should be able to take a photo

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Unfortunately all the mouths are close right rn I will try to get a pic when I try feeding the nee batch

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received my first gig. The 3-4” blue gig is more like 10-12”……guess I’ll have to move it out of the nano tank much sooner than expected. Currently in cipro treatment just in case. Below is a pic straight from the bag. Interested to see how your efforts progress

8A57EAC0-B2E7-4CDF-B10C-18D76166CB82.jpeg
8A57EAC0-B2E7-4CDF-B10C-18D76166CB82.jpeg
Hey @Rtaylor, the more I look at it, the more that looks like a purple haddoni. You’re positive that was sold to you as a gigantea?

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was checking on things in the fish room after the lights were out and found it a good opportunity to take a photo with the flash to get a better image of the column without the influence of blue lighting. Clear verrucae suggests this is a rock dwelling anemone as it uses the sticky verrucae to anchor the disc to surrounding rock.
0A928385-36A2-4727-AB8F-02A3D01FA16D.jpeg

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! Mags and Gigs are the best. Hoping i can get my green gig to come back around. Its the only one holding on after a sick one infected the rest. Ended up losing my blue and purple one. so sad!

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to what you have to share! Any chance youre on instagram?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Rtaylor, the more I look at it, the more that looks like a purple haddoni. You’re positive that was sold to you as a gigantea?
It was definitely sold as a gigantea.
I’ ve been wondering myself as the tentacles haven’t gotten much longer as it’s settled in and there isn’t the bright verracue I would expect (it does look a little bleached), it has also chosen to stay in the sand….. would that for sure indicate it’s a Haddoni? Also it ate a clownfish last night (not sure, but I thought haddoni’s were more likely to be guilty of that)……

Last edited:
OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was definitely sold as a gigantea.
I’ ve been wondering myself as the tentacles haven’t gotten much longer as it’s settled in and there isn’t the bright verracue I would expect (it does look a little bleached), it has also chosen to stay in the sand….. would that for sure indicate it’s a Haddoni? Also it ate a clownfish last night (not sure, but I thought haddoni’s were more likely to be guilty of that)……
Where did you buy it from? I would put my money on haddoni given the appearance and affinity for sand. I have heard of haddoni eating clowns, but thought that was usually pretty rare. Most times when an anemone eats a fish it’s because the fish wasn’t healthy or on its way out.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! Mags and Gigs are the best. Hoping i can get my green gig to come back around. Its the only one holding on after a sick one infected the rest. Ended up losing my blue and purple one. so sad!

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to what you have to share! Any chance youre on instagram?
That’s always the worst. I lost a few of my prized mags a few years ago when one came in looking fine and I didn’t treat it. Now I put all anemones through treatment before introducing to my system to avoid the same mistake.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you buy it from? I would put my money on haddoni given the appearance and affinity for sand. I have heard of haddoni eating clowns, but thought that was usually pretty rare. Most times when an anemone eats a fish it’s because the fish wasn’t healthy or on its way out.
I think the fish wasn’t very anemone savvy. Small aquacultured…probably never saw an anemone before. CoralsAnonymous, they had pics and videos of what looked like the right thing. But it wasn’t wysiwyg….and it looks like they sent the wrong one :(

Last edited:

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the fish wasn’t very anemone savvy. Small aquacultured…probably never saw an anemone before. CoralsAnonymous, they had pics and videos of what looked like the right thing. But it wasn’t wysiwyg….and it looks like they sent the wrong one :(
Since you regularly buy and sell, can you give me an idea of any difference in market value that can help me resolve the issue with the vendor - sm-md size? Are they typically about the same price or is there a substantial difference one way or the other? They didn’t have a purple Haddoni listed for me to compare. Thanks!

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you regularly buy and sell, can you give me an idea of any difference in market value that can help me resolve the issue with the vendor - sm-md size? Are they typically about the same price or is there a substantial difference one way or the other? They didn’t have a purple Haddoni listed for me to compare. Thanks!
That's a good question, I feel like they're usually around the same price. Purple haddoni certainly aren't common, so it's not a bad deal, but if you were looking for a gigantea then I would bring it to their attention.

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have not fed them yet but I got a new stripped here is an okay pic nothing crazy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 157

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have quite a few haddoni from different parts of the world and they all seem a bit different some do have slight verracue but you’res isn’t one of those it’s definitely a gig. that last picture you posted definitely confirmed that is red a gig! Super rare but they are definitely out there. Most trans. shippers probably don’t even realize and just lump them all in with the red haddoni

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 124
OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not fed them yet but I got a new stripped here is an okay pic nothing crazy
Thanks, it's kind of a blurry photo, but I'm not seeing the sihponoglyphs that I see in all my gigs. I think that may be another way to help differentiate between haddoni and gigantea. All of my gigantea have two siphonoglyphs with bright purple spots right inside of their mouths. Sometimes they protrude a little and you can see them clearly. I can't remember ever seeing that in haddoni. Someone correct me though if I'm wrong!

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good question, I feel like they're usually around the same price. Purple haddoni certainly aren't common, so it's not a bad deal, but if you were looking for a gigantea then I would bring it to their attention.
Thanks for the input!

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it's kind of a blurry photo, but I'm not seeing the sihponoglyphs that I see in all my gigs. I think that may be another way to help differentiate between haddoni and gigantea. All of my gigantea have two siphonoglyphs with bright purple spots right inside of their mouths. Sometimes they protrude a little and you can see them clearly. I can't remember ever seeing that in haddoni. Someone correct me though if I'm wrong!
I’ll take a look. It definitely still looks like a Haddoni, hasn’t gotten any shaggier.

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Here’s a better pic this is a good example of what I was talking about really looks like a haddoni but had the purple siphonglyphs :)

44287BD7-EE58-46D5-BA2B-93F879BCEB5E.jpeg EBD9BE72-1269-45AC-A852-9EB7FC34F08B.jpeg 79918476-F2F9-4899-8611-FE192F26BD03.jpeg

lemonade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My intent is to figure out how to spawn gigs in captivity and use the red to bring some amazing color morphs to the hobby that are truly sustainably sourced. I’ve successfully spawned gold torches in my system and I’m hopeful I can do the same with the anemones. I’m also experimenting with some asexual reproductive strategies of gigs too, which I will post about later.
I'm curious to know what methods you are experimenting with in breeding gigs? It was my understanding that Gigantea were dioecious invertebrates and must need a separate male and female individual to spawn. I also remember reading somewhere that they were internal brooders and the females release fully developed baby nems.

Back