Gigantea with no visible verracue?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received this nem. It was sold as a purple gigantea. I have recently ordered 3 other gigantea and instead received Haddonis so I might be a bit paranoid, anyway, I wanted some opinions on whether or not this is a gigantea. The main reason I am questioning the identity is because there are no visible verracue at all. Not even faintly visible. I think it does look different from the haddoni’s I’ve gotten….but it’s tentacles are still pretty short as well (I’ve only had it a few days). Sorry about the pics, it’s in an awkward spot to get a good angle. What do you think? Appreciate your input!

@Nemguy123, @gig 'em , @OrionN , @Eagle_Steve
73CDB532-4425-4921-A4E1-A84F76101429.jpeg
5C916A14-4565-4267-AE9A-01EC03BB666D.jpeg
49733201-DA6D-4413-89E0-9CF9BEED2142.jpeg
37FE01C0-7DA2-4435-AB73-D5AFBAC53678.jpeg
E801B99A-5FBA-4D20-87A1-2574E4A1E6C1.jpeg

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Haddoni
Ugh…..it definitely could be… the tentacles aren’t really tapered and they seem to be more dense (more like a Haddoni) than gigantea…..

there are only 3 lfs near me and they never have carpet anemones. So I have to order online.
If this is the 4th wrong anemone in a couple of months…..that would be extremely frustrating.
Thanks for your input
@Taylor t - opinion?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll add that the tentacles do move pretty constantly which I don’t see in my Haddonis, if that info is helpful at all.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+1 on Haddoni. The pink rimmed mouth is a giveaway to me (could be wrong here) and I think even the hybrids have light verrucae that attach to surfaces. Haddoni do stretch their tents from time to time and can twitch when they do.

Looks like you're having the same issue I had about a year ago, sourcing a gigantea. It was such a PAIN trying to source one from a LFS, even worse sourcing a healthy one. This time last year I got in touch with @galactic_coral in Houston, and they informed me that the season for collecting them was ending (basically winter months in the US). The only places/people I was able to reliably find a healthy gig was through bluekai and nemguy.

There might be a chance you have a hybrid, but, ultimately, this is a beautiful and healthy specimen! If it meets your criteria for what you're looking for, keep it around!

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Haddoni. The pink rimmed mouth is a giveaway to me (could be wrong here) and I think even the hybrids have light verrucae that attach to surfaces. Haddoni do stretch their tents from time to time and can twitch when they do.

Looks like you're having the same issue I had about a year ago, sourcing a gigantea. It was such a PAIN trying to source one from a LFS, even worse sourcing a healthy one. This time last year I got in touch with @galactic_coral in Houston, and they informed me that the season for collecting them was ending (basically winter months in the US). The only places/people I was able to reliably find a healthy gig was through bluekai and nemguy.

There might be a chance you have a hybrid, but, ultimately, this is a beautiful and healthy specimen! If it meets your criteria for what you're looking for, keep it around!
Thanks for your input. Here’s a couple pics i was able to get this morning that show the oral disc better
DA6B8B41-FF51-4670-AACA-7BFF2A3A16BC.jpeg
F90A85BF-78DE-4080-85BB-DC2B27733F8A.jpeg

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on haddoni. I had the same problem several years ago with a well known online retailer. I was sent 3 haddoni instead of the gigantea that I ordered.

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on haddoni. I had the same problem several years ago with a well known online retailer. I was sent 3 haddoni instead of the gigantea that I ordered.
Thanks for your input. How did you handle it with the retailer?

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally gave up and just kept them since I had no way to send them back easily. This is not one of them from that time, but another haddoni that I picked up from a lfs that looks similar to yours.
1632671382529.png

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, Haddoni.
Thanks! This is frustrating! This is the is the 3rd retailer to send a haddoni after I ordered a gigantea…..is it too much to expect to get what was advertised? I’m being serious….is it unreasonable to expect that sellers can identify what they are selling? The first thing I said when I opened the bag for this nem was, “it’s a haddoni.” My fiancé convinced me I was probably mistaken and being paranoid….ugh…sorry just venting.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the is the 3rd retailer to send a haddoni after I ordered a gigantea…..is it too much to expect to get what was advertised? I’m being serious….is it unreasonable to expect that sellers can identify what they are selling?

It's super frustrating. I think a lot of staff at online retailers and non reef-specialty LFS don’t know (or take much care) to spot the difference between most anemones and they probably label them based on the collector or distributor's identification.

Sebae and Malu anemones suffer from similar misidentification, and potentially even Condy and LTAs. Hell, I've messaged Reef Beauties multiple times that they're mislabeling Genicanthus melanospilos (Swallowtail Angels) as G. semifasciatus (Japanese Swallowtails), they haven't corrected their listing in over 6 months.

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I recently received this nem. It was sold as a purple gigantea. I have recently ordered 3 other gigantea and instead received Haddonis so I might be a bit paranoid, anyway, I wanted some opinions on whether or not this is a gigantea. The main reason I am questioning the identity is because there are no visible verracue at all. Not even faintly visible. I think it does look different from the haddoni’s I’ve gotten….but it’s tentacles are still pretty short as well (I’ve only had it a few days). Sorry about the pics, it’s in an awkward spot to get a good angle. What do you think? Appreciate your input!

@Nemguy123, @gig 'em , @OrionN , @Eagle_Steve
Definitely a haddoni where are you getting it from by any chance there’s an online store that’s notorious for that I herd but it’s definitely a mistake a lot of people make

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back