Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re usually good surprising they listed it as haddoni :(
Yeah, I think you meant gigantea. I was checking them regularly, they had a haddoni listed for a while then they listed a gigantea. I read good reviews and figured since they differentiated between the two and didn’t just list ‘carpet anemone’ that it would be right….

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yeah, I think you meant gigantea. I was checking them regularly, they had a haddoni listed for a while then they listed a gigantea. I read good reviews and figured since they differentiated between the two and didn’t just list ‘carpet anemone’ that it would be right….
They do come mislabeled from over seas sometimes too :(

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do come mislabeled from over seas sometimes too :(
I get that…..it just seems like if your business is selling livestock for several hundreds of dollars apiece you should be able to make a proper identification. It’s not like these are $5 frags from a local hobbiest. Especially when the vast majority can be differentiated based on the verracue alone. I can see if it was more borderline where it seemed to have some features of both that it could happen. Also, it may have just been a bad week for Michael, but I ordered on a Saturday and emailed on Tuesday to find out when it would ship and didn’t hear anything from him until Friday (I sent several messages through the website and via email)….so overall it wasn’t a great experience for me.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your initial question -- it's very rare to find a gigantea without visible verrucae. There are times when they appear faded, but there's usually a presence of dots or similar markings.

Aside from the previously mentioned comment by @argiBK regarding the "lipstick" I've never come across a gigantea with pink around the mouth.

Another characteristic to note is that haddoni typically have a much thicker column than gigantea. On many larger specimens, the column on gigantea actually seems disproportionately small.

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I get that…..it just seems like if your business is selling livestock for several hundreds of dollars apiece you should be able to make a proper identification. It’s not like these are $5 frags from a local hobbiest. Especially when the vast majority can be differentiated based on the verracue alone. I can see if it was more borderline where it seemed to have some features of both that it could happen. Also, it may have just been a bad week for Michael, but I ordered on a Saturday and emailed on Tuesday to find out when it would ship and didn’t hear anything from him until Friday (I sent several messages through the website and via email)….so overall it wasn’t a great experience for me.
I agree I would definitely contact the company and tell them what happened:(

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your initial question -- it's very rare to find a gigantea without visible verrucae. There are times when they appear faded, but there's usually a presence of dots or similar markings.

Aside from the previously mentioned comment by @argiBK regarding the "lipstick" I've never come across a gigantea with pink around the mouth.

Another characteristic to note is that haddoni typically have a much thicker column than gigantea. On many larger specimens, the column on gigantea actually seems disproportionately small.

Thanks for the info!

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely call Michael, he’s far more responsive over the phone.

Also had a similar situation to you last year, LA listed green giganteas for sale (non DD) and sent me a haddoni. They were very accommodating and refunded the anemone.

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I’ve seen quite a few gigs that I would consider “hybrid” with traits from all the stichodactyla species, but they should be sold as such for sure!

Back