Gill Flukes Fallow Period

Lil Puff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gill flukes in my tank and I have been unsuccessful in getting rid of them multiple times. If I gave my fish to the pet shop to treat how long would the fallow period be? Could it be sped up with hyposalinity? Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have gill flukes in my tank and I have been unsuccessful in getting rid of them multiple times. If I gave my fish to the pet shop to treat how long would the fallow period be? Could it be sped up with hyposalinity? Thanks
Flukes which are considered trematodes offer risk of eggs and recommended is 4-6 weeks to assure no host for them to survive

OP
OP
Lil Puff

Lil Puff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes which are considered trematodes offer risk of eggs and recommended is 4-6 weeks to assure no host for them to survive
If I run hyposalintity will that shorten the time? I read that it kills fluke eggs.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If I run hyposalintity will that shorten the time? I read that it kills fluke eggs.
It helps but assure they are truly gone

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyposalinity does not kill fluke eggs, it just keeps them from hatching and then they eventually lose the ability to hatch. The hypo needs to be at a bit less than half seawater; 1.022 SG or 16 ppt. 30 days is suggested as the time frame, but I always go 35 days. Remember to come out of hypo VERY slowly, over 5 days of gradual rises.

That all said, there are brackish water fluke species that are resistant to hypo. They are pretty rare in home marine aquariums, but I've seen a few cases.

Jay

OP
OP
Lil Puff

Lil Puff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyposalinity does not kill fluke eggs, it just keeps them from hatching and then they eventually lose the ability to hatch. The hypo needs to be at a bit less than half seawater; 1.022 SG or 16 ppt. 30 days is suggested as the time frame, but I always go 35 days. Remember to come out of hypo VERY slowly, over 5 days of gradual rises.

That all said, there are brackish water fluke species that are resistant to hypo. They are pretty rare in home marine aquariums, but I've seen a few cases.

Jay
I am getting a new tank soon and I am wondering if I have to wait for the 35 days to be over to be able to transfer the bio balls that are in my sump?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a new tank soon and I am wondering if I have to wait for the 35 days to be over to be able to transfer the bio balls that are in my sump?
If I understand correctly, yes, the eggs of some flukes are adhesive and can travel from tank to tank attached to bio media, or any surface really. With some flukes, a new infection has been documented with just one egg getting transferred..

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back