Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week I have not had near as much free time so my goal was just to get the drain plumbing set up behind the tank. That would mean building out all the hard plumbing for the two 1.5" drains that will come together into a 2" main drain line, go through the floor, and down over to the sump about 70 feet away. I also will be plumbing the two 1" emergency drains. With much advice from some sages like Randy from Oceans Edge in Utah I decided on the configuration below using two 1.5" spears gate valves to tune the drains and then the two 1" emergency drains that will also go all the way back to the sump and drop from above the water right to the return. This way, if these emergency drains ever come into play, it will be known because it will be heard in the FishCave and as another warning it is likely that bubbles will enter the return pump and into the display. The main 2" run under the house will have its own upstream vent to facilitate air into the line and prevent gurgling.

[

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is being made. Main plumbing to go in this weekend. We may have some water moving within a week!
IMG_3200.JPG

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my lovely wife Nancy decided to go down and visit family this weekend in Southern California. Of course I said "no problem". Then I said "Can you do me a favor - I have a little errand I need done - just a little sand and rock for the aquarium..."

So today she stopped by the HQ of Real Reef Manufacturing who make Real Reef Rock and she picked up a "little bit" of rock and sand for me. Oh, and there is some in there for my buddy Mark here at work who is setting up his own SR-120.

Below are some pics of the load. Super stoked to get some premo rock from these guys
- all three kinds - regular, shelf, and branch. Additionally they hooked me up with some really nice natural oolitic sand that is super coarse like I like it and has all the little reef bits in it of coral, shells, etc.

Everything is starting to come together. Now I just need to convince my Reef Buddy Dave Anderson (dca22anderson http://tinyurl.com/dca22anderson), the master of the aquascape, to make a trip out for a weekend!

IMG_5997.jpeg

IMG_0811.JPG

Neptune Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I can see you have been busy, Terrance. I take it you'll going to make this the most amazing GSP and Xenia tank, ever? LOL.

Can't wait to see this all coming together. BTW...I know a great guy that can hook you up with an APEX system!

-Robert

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great build! Keep it up!

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far. Can't wait to see all the gear hooked up. I love my apex until recently when my db8 won't shut off outlets. But besides that love my system. It's cool to see someone's tank from a company like Neptune and to also see them using what they sell.

Wish you best of luck on your venture.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah that branch rock looks killer!! Very nice

Real Reef is really bringing it when it comes to this rock of theirs. They must "cook" it for quite a while before putting it up for sale because it has this really authentic look that you can't just get by painting up molded aragonite.

It's cool to see someone's tank from a company like Neptune and to also see them using what they sell.

Wish you best of luck on your venture.
Thanks! At Neptune Systems we are passionate hobbyists that are also passionate technologists. Sharing my experience is just part of trying to be the best hobbyist I can be. I hope most of my sharing will be good things, but if I do something stupid, I plan on sharing that as well. None of that yet, but there will be plenty of time!

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! A hundred feet of 2" spa flex is a big roll. Plan on using this for the 75' return from the big 230W Red Dragon pump in the FishCave Sump.
FullSizeRender.jpg

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little steps every week. Today after work I made the holes from the main floor down through to the crawlspace (not really a crawlspace as it is >8' from the ground to the floor joists since I am on a hillside). Fairly simple - two 2.5" holes, one 1.5" hole, and one 3/4" hole. The big holes were for the 2" Drain and Return, the 1.5" hole is for the 1" emergency drain, and the 3/4" is for the AquaBus Cable to come up and use a VDM to control the lights. Next step is to run the lines themselves under the house. After that I have to do the braces and mounts for the canopy and bolt them to the wall and then I can push the tank back and start flowing water.

IMG_3258.JPG

jason g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is looking great. I haven't checked in on this build lately. Wow I missed quite a bit. Looks good. That tank is awesome.

Deltec USA1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! Can't wait to see your reef up and running. Should be a beast. Enjoyed speaking with you at MACNA.

Your Deltec PF601S calcium reactor is on it's way. Don't hesitate to call me if you have any questions about setting it up.

Doug

sonnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, great build Terence. It's always nice to see industry folks that still have a crazy passion for reef keeping. I think most do not have tanks at their homes?

I might have missed it in this thread but is the tank on a concrete slab or a raised foundation?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raised foundation along a load bearing wall with two of the main house beams crossing at one end. Still considering a steel beam on jacks for a little extra peace of mind.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very astute observation that many in the industry that once loved the hobby and participated as well now do not have aquariums. I can't understand that personally and I think it affects your judgement on products and you ability to relate with your customer base.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back