Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some morning iPhone snaps taken before lights-on and with some diffused natural light.

I love looking at the reef in all sorts of conditions.

235692f45f139bd1e39773f2b46a00d5.jpg

de7811539eb185294ec735c7c6996989.jpg

f9b883a1a7799822d2c999d4c4d70626.jpg

564345aee523b7d8244c707a6db146d5.jpg

08079568a53d4f118ed8bd7a46486e21.jpg

9645a977368578433af5b71e7e7993b5.jpg

3d445576fc23843d8ec177cd0e06735a.jpg

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man those SPS look good! Must be that rock solid alkalinity from that ALK monitor;)

The alk is stable for sure. But the real catalyst was moving those lights up. Clearly my LEDs were not "mixed" adequately when I had them that close to the water (corals). Once I moved them up a few weeks back - things started exploding.

That said, my LPS side of the tank is doing well under the CoralCare I just put over it. However, it is clearly getting too much light. It is on the same controller as the left (SPS) side of the tank and that just won't work (there is no light intensity setting that could chosen to be optimized for both. For that reason, I will be getting another Philips light control module so that I can run the two sides independently.

There is an interesting video put out recently with a big tank in Belgium that has been running these lights for almost a year. It has a split tank approach as well and time lapse video. Pretty compelling video for supporting these lights.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Terence , Have you ever had a die off in your Denitrator where the water turns milky coming out of it? If so, what did you do besides let it run it's course?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Terence , Have you ever had a die off in your Denitrator where the water turns milky coming out of it? If so, what did you do besides let it run it's course?

No, not yet.

However I have found some very interesting info regarding its operation. It is VERY temperature sensitive. Or so it seems.

I have had a hard time running it and keeping an ORP <-150 with a flow through greater than four liters a day. This was with an ambient room temp of my fish cave at around <=65. Once we. Egan getting warm weather (outside >85 and inside >75), the ORP dropped and I could flow more through (currently moving up to six liters per day).

A lot to try and understand here.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had been lax on water changes lately (before last Monday it had been about 8 weeks). So I did one Monday and again yesterday. 200 gallons total.

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, awesome thread and build you have. I read through the whole thing. Hopefully no more earthquakes! glad to hear you saved that powder blue tang.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully no more earthquakes! glad to hear you saved that powder blue tang.
Sadly the injuries were too grave for the Powder Blue. After three weeks in the sump (and appearing to be healing) , he died. :(

I want a couple of more tangs, but now I am tang-shy. Maybe the next one will need to be in an acclimation box for a week. I really want a Fowleri and to try another PB.

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the injuries were too grave for the Powder Blue. After three weeks in the sump (and appearing to be healing) , he died. :(

I want a couple of more tangs, but now I am tang-shy. Maybe the next one will need to be in an acclimation box for a week. I really want a Fowleri and to try another PB.

Wow, no way, sorry to hear that Terence. That Achilles is a mean one then. poor powder blue. But a Fowleri Tang is a beautiful fish. Maybe an acclimation box will be in your future to add more tangs or any other fish. Good luck and I will be following along.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing things happen in this hobby when you least expect it.

Last Thursday I went to Neptune Aquatics in San Jose so we could feature them on FB-Live as one of the first LFS to receive our latest product, the ATK - Automatic Top-off Kit. While there, I was blown away by one fish right away - and he is even on the live video.

It was a Powder Blue Tang. And not just any PB. Probably the best one I have ever seen in captivity. Possibly the most beautiful fish - PERIOD - I had ever seen in an aquarium. It was big. It was fat. It was HEALTHY. Things you usually never see in a PB in an aquarium.

After shooting the video I asked the store owner, Robert, how much he wanted for the fish. I pretty much had already decided it didn't matter much the price - well to a degree I guess - I had to have this fish. Robert, in jest, told me $5000! I laughed "No, really, how much?" Robert thought and said "if you want that fish, it's yours". "Really?", I said. "I can't do that". Then Robert explained to me that another hobbyist had brought it in, his wife had been diagnosed with cancer and he had to make his life a bit easier. Robert said "It was his pet, and now its yours, I know you have the tank that would be perfect for this fish". Amazing. I was blown away.

So, he put it in a bucket and we drove it 45 minutes home (I made Paul put the bucket between his legs so it wouldn't tip over).

No acclimation was going to be necessary - water temp was fine - and this fish needed to go in. It was clean and from another's home aquarium so it was worth the risk to put him right in. I got one of those hang-on-the-side fish holders and dunked it down into the bucket. I then put my left hand down on the other side of the fish to 'scooch' him into the rectangular fish holder.

Then, all of the sudden BAM!

It was like someone hammered a nail into the side of my index finger (between the first and second knuckle). I pulled my hand out, grasped my finger with my right hand and proceeded to jump around my foyer screaming all kinds of pleasantries. After about 60 seconds of that I had a look. I pulled my right hand back and little fountain of blood started pouring out of the tiniest little hole - lots of blood. Worse yet, I had to take my mother to the dentist in 15 min. Crazy. Anyways, the fish went in and the tango of the Powder Blue and Achilles began immediately. But the PB this time is about 3x the Achilles!

All is well now a few days later but the Achilles is still slowly tailing the PB all around the tank, they do some spins, and then continue swimming. They have gone at it a bit, but there is only one small wound on the achilles so far. Still crossing my fingers but I think everything will be OK.

Here is decent iphone pic, and a video I did with my new GoPro Clone (amazing thing really for $84) the AKASO EK7000.

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 7.41.12 PM.png

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence you are now officially a marine fish keeper. Getting hooked by a tang's barb is one of those things you never forget.:)

I would have much rather the initiation happened with a 3" tang as opposed to an 8" one with about a 5/8" barb that ent in like an IV needle!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful PBT!

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man @Terence , that Achilles is a mean SOB isn't he?

Tank is looking SWEET ! !

Thanks, slowly . . . but that's fine. I have not added too many corals yet. I have some catching up to do on the LPS side of the tank. Waiting for my second CoralCare light controller to come so I can have the lights higher on the SPS side and lower on the LPS side.

The Achilles has been "slapped" twice now and is starting to get the picture. So long as the PB doesn't nail him in the vitals things will be just fine I think.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back