Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this build. Thanks for taking the time to keep it updated. Lots of useful info here.

Dxpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic summary of your tank and the key considerations and success criteria. We are all still learning and getting this type of summary helps.

How is the problem with the encrusting dosing lines?

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you can deduce how I feel about a month of Triton in just one picture...

From the small to the big I go!

Running my CaRx at 6.9 and dosing 36ml/day right now.

upload_2017-10-27_15-39-53.png
Sounds like a fine plan. Where did you get the big jugs? Keep us posted on that method. I'm running two full triton tanks and at some point I'm going back to have to add a cal reactor to help out. I'm afraid of those things.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune heater - no thank you. Way too much liability there. Seen way too many companies have horrific recalls.

I totally agree with this! And the smart part of it is just the programming and controller. No need to make your own "hot stick".

I use a NeoTherm shatterproof heater which has an integrated controller, plugged into the Apex. The apex will shut power to the heater if the temperature rises above its set point. That way I have two backups.

Situation 1:
If apex temp probe or programming fails (more likely to due to human error than equipment failure IMO) the heater will refuse to power on due to its integrated controller. If either of my temperature probes read anything especially high or low I get notified.

Situation 2:
If the heater fails, it will either be stuck in the "on" or "off" position. If the heater is stuck in the "on" position, the temp probe will read the high value and cut heater power, also sending me an alarm. If the heater controller is stuck in the off position, the tank will begin to get cold and apex will send me an alarm.

@Terence:

Has Neptune Systems ever considered a stray voltage probe? I would pay good money for that, as would many reefers. Simple sensor and simple programming: if it detects anything, send out an alarm. I have a cheap arduino uno doing that for my tank currently, if there is any stray voltage it sounds an alarm. I did this after getting shocked due to a defective UV steralizer. Integrate that to Apex!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrance I looked back and couldn’t find it in your thread.

How do you have your Dos programmed so that there is at least five mins in between each of the triton dosses? The way I set mine up it seems to dose .2 ml every 16 mins or so and some of the doses cross over

Thanks

Justin

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic summary of your tank and the key considerations and success criteria. We are all still learning and getting this type of summary helps.

How is the problem with the encrusting dosing lines?
Thanks for the feedback!
Crusting-up (a technical term) seems to be stopped by: a. not having them submerged and b. having them dump into an extremely high-flow area

Sounds like a fine plan. Where did you get the big jugs? Keep us posted on that method. I'm running two full triton tanks and at some point I'm going back to have to add a cal reactor to help out. I'm afraid of those things.
I got the jugs straight from the distribution source here in the US, but they are now available at BRS. Calcium reactors are really not that hard if you take the time to truly understand what is happening.

@Terence:

Has Neptune Systems ever considered a stray voltage probe? I would pay good money for that, as would many reefers. Simple sensor and simple programming: if it detects anything, send out an alarm. I have a cheap arduino uno doing that for my tank currently, if there is any stray voltage it sounds an alarm. I did this after getting shocked due to a defective UV steralizer. Integrate that to Apex!
Not a bad idea - I will add that to my long, long list.

How do you have your Dos programmed so that there is at least five mins in between each of the triton dosses? The way I set mine up it seems to dose .2 ml every 16 mins or so and some of the doses cross over

Thanks

Justin
All I did was create four two-hour dosing events a day spaced out with four hours in between. There will be some crossover, but I doubt they are running simultaneously very often, if at all since the dosing is so short (.2 @ 7ml/min).

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback!
Crusting-up (a technical term) seems to be stopped by: a. not having them submerged and b. having them dump into an extremely high-flow area

I got the jugs straight from the distribution source here in the US, but they are now available at BRS. Calcium reactors are really not that hard if you take the time to truly understand what is happening.

I don't see the Jugs in BRS website. Can you point me where in the US?

Thanks in advance...

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

Justin
With the amount of sump flow I would think even a minute in between would be sufficient. I wasn't sure how to configure it either. I wasn't sure if I just let the apex figure it if crossover would be an issue. I ended up manually entering all mine in. One tank is set to go every hour. The other tank, every 30 minutes, both with that 5 minute gap. But I'm wondering if I'd see a benefit of running smaller doses and shorter increments like what you guys are doing.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, thanks to all your help, this thread is now the #1 viewed tank-build thread of all-time! And I intend to keep it that way by continually sharing my progress - wins and losses so you all may benefit in one way or another.

@revhtree, I think I deserve a little trophy, a special spot in an email, maybe even a ceremony of sorts - ok, maybe that last one went a bit too far!

upload_2017-11-13_17-24-53.png

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, thanks to all your help, this thread is now the #1 viewed tank-build thread of all-time! And I intend to keep it that way by continually sharing my progress - wins and losses so you all may benefit in one way or another.

@revhtree, I think I deserve a little trophy, a special spot in an email, maybe even a ceremony of sorts - ok, maybe that last one went a bit too far!

Thanks for the persistent updates,that is what keeps it rolling. That reminds me that I haven't seen my own build thread in awhile. Lol[emoji33]
Keep it up and I'll keep watching.

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Terrence...bin follow from the start:)
I too see no reason a combination of calcium reactor and trace supplementation is not the best way on larger tanks.
Ok...so are you still using calcium reactor with triton?
If not...sorry if I missed it....is it financially feasible on large tanks to eliminate calcium reactor?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I'll have a lot to update soon so watch your back! :p

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those “+1” posts and “looks good” posts don’t count. I want to see some real meat in that thread. Besides, your threads should be disqualified from any competition simply because of your ability to put your finger on the scale!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have a lot to update soon so watch your back! :p

All those “+1” posts and “looks good” posts don’t count. I want to see some real meat in that thread. Besides, your threads should be disqualified from any competition simply because of your ability to put your finger on the scale!

Technically, if you factor in the amount of time the thread has been up, it breaks down like this:
  1. David 11,778 views/month
  2. Broadfield 7972 views/month
  3. Terence 7303 views/month
... 3rd place trophy is nothing to be ashamed of :D

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, its been a while. My work schedule has had me traveling. And then there's the holidays. Haven't done a single test on the reef for probably 5-6 weeks and no new ICP. Need to do that. It has been trending between 7.5-8.5 on the alk. Went down to the Fish Cave for the first time in two weeks this morning. Automation is so awesome. Love having an ultra-low-maintenance tank. Today all I did was top off the DDR with more Core7 (it was giving me an alert so I knew it was time), cleaned the skimmer cup and wiper, and culled out some macro. Actually a LOT of macro. Having a sump with so much surface area is awesome. below are some before and after shots and a pic of how much I took out. It was thick and dense and probably there was about 8 cubic feet of macro in there before I thinned it out! The screwdriver is there for scale - I think I took out about three pounds of the stuff!

upload_2017-12-2_13-34-19.png

upload_2017-12-2_13-39-36.png

upload_2017-12-2_13-39-55.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back