Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading all 81 pages, what a great thread. Picked up a lot of tips. Thank you very much for sharing.

rlbannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Terence, I have been running an Apex Classic for a couple of years now and am in your NSI program. I just received, but have not yet set up, my Apex 2016 upgrade, along with 2 WAVs. I run an SPS dominant 240 and have been manually dosing daily. I bought a used CaRx, but had trouble getting a steady effluent with the supplied pumps, so I took it down. I'm thinking about using a peristaltic pump to regulate it. I've spent the last week reading this thread from the beginning and finished it last night, and I really appreciate all the effort you have put in to this. Along the way, I have had a few questions I hope you can help with.

On September 18, 2016 in reference to your skimmer you said
It also has an auto-off float switch for the skimmer cup that automatically shuts off the skimmer.
I need to do this (mine overflowed again, today). Do you mind taking a pic of the float so I can emulate it, please?

On October 10, 2016 in reference to an SPS die off, you said
One thing I did notice is it's all on the side that gets a ton more flow from one of my WAV. That could possibly be it.
Later, you switched lights and experienced better growth. Did you, in fact, end up ruling out the WAV as a possible culprit?

On March 6, 2017 in reference to your CaRx DOS you said
Even running it so much it has only worn out one pump head so far.
How long (in units of both time and flow if you can approximate them) did the head last, and how did you know it was time to replace it?

On September 11, 2017, again in reference to the CaRx DOS you said
Yes, I still use it, not necessarily advocating it. It works great, just a bit noisy
This would be in a cabinet next to my tank in my living room. Did you ever do dB tests on the noise (if so, what were the results), and would all persitaltic pumps be that loud, or is yours noisier than others might be? Also, do you think it might be possible to insulate the sound? For example, mounting a rubber pad under it to dampen vibration, or wrapping it in foam to muffle the noise?

Lastly, would you mind sharing a bit more info about your camera equipment, how you mounted it, and your satisfaction or dissatisfaction with it?

BTW, thanks for the Dire Straits music in your May 28, 2017 video. Should have made it longer so I could hear the whole song! Brought a smile to my face. Man, I love those guys!

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Terence, I have been running an Apex Classic for a couple of years now and am in your NSI program. I just received, but have not yet set up, my Apex 2016 upgrade, along with 2 WAVs. I run an SPS dominant 240 and have been manually dosing daily. I bought a used CaRx, but had trouble getting a steady effluent with the supplied pumps, so I took it down. I'm thinking about using a peristaltic pump to regulate it. I've spent the last week reading this thread from the beginning and finished it last night, and I really appreciate all the effort you have put in to this. Along the way, I have had a few questions I hope you can help with.

On September 18, 2016 in reference to your skimmer you said
I need to do this (mine overflowed again, today). Do you mind taking a pic of the float so I can emulate it, please?

On October 10, 2016 in reference to an SPS die off, you said
Later, you switched lights and experienced better growth. Did you, in fact, end up ruling out the WAV as a possible culprit?

On March 6, 2017 in reference to your CaRx DOS you said
How long (in units of both time and flow if you can approximate them) did the head last, and how did you know it was time to replace it?

On September 11, 2017, again in reference to the CaRx DOS you said
This would be in a cabinet next to my tank in my living room. Did you ever do dB tests on the noise (if so, what were the results), and would all persitaltic pumps be that loud, or is yours noisier than others might be? Also, do you think it might be possible to insulate the sound? For example, mounting a rubber pad under it to dampen vibration, or wrapping it in foam to muffle the noise?

Lastly, would you mind sharing a bit more info about your camera equipment, how you mounted it, and your satisfaction or dissatisfaction with it?

BTW, thanks for the Dire Straits music in your May 28, 2017 video. Should have made it longer so I could hear the whole song! Brought a smile to my face. Man, I love those guys!
I actually don't have the float switch in the skimmer lid active as I changed out the lid for the wiper lid.

The SPS issue was absolutely traced to the LED being too close to the water and corals and having a blending issue at that distance.

The DOS heads lasted (from my memory) about 8 months before I changed them out. They were still working but some of the outer shell of the pump head had been cracking and falling away (but not affecting its operation) so I just thought it would be a good idea.

The DOS pumps do make noise - not much at slow dosing but certainly when its going 200ml/min.

For cameras I have been playing with just a few cheapo chinese web cams - havent really settled on anything yet . They are all such a pain.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the pause in responses guys. Busy month with coming off of Black Friday, the holidays heating up, and all that.

Tank is doing great. Raised the Alk into the 8.5 to 9 range to try it out there and see how things do - growth and health.

Still feeding like crazy. Haven't done any testing in probably 6-8 weeks. Just sent out two ICP tests so I should have those results back next week.

Here is a cool shot from a high position on the glass so you can get a feel for the shear size of that chalice of mine. Of course with 3/4" glass, such an angle will not allow you to have a tack-sharp photos - but its fun to look at anyways!

upload_2017-12-15_15-1-41.png

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just coming back from PA right now - actually on the airplane. Went out there to install some sweet new gear on Sanjays tank. Amazing system and what a great guy. He was already a long time NS customer beginning with the AC3. He had an Apex Classic. So, we swapped that out for a 2016, added some other cool fail-safes for his RO and ATO. Put a flow sensor on his Pax Bellum ARID reactor - and he found out he had 1/3-1/4 the recommended flow - just 100gph! We also put in leak sensors as well as a PMK so that Mr. Photon could get some total daily light measurements on his reef (not just spot measurements). All in all a great trip. The only downside is that now I have a new must-get-fish-list. Some of these may seem strange, but he explained a lot to me - and I will post more on this later if/when I get any of these:

- Femininsus Wrass - OMG!
- Marginalis Butterfly - aiptasia eater but better survival rate than copperband
- Rolandi Damsel - cool little guys - he had 4-5
- Traceyi damsel
- various pygmy angels
- and the holy grail - that Lennardi Wrasse - don't think I will ever get one of these - but i can dream can't I?

Anyways, if you want to see a recording of the live stream from yesterday, here is the FB link -
Hey Terence,

Just FYI on the lennardi wrasse, they have been popping up everywhere lately. I have seen 7 for sale in the last two months, so you can definitely get one if you want.

Let's see an FTS my friend

John ob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great not to be the Debbie downer but that wood floor is done going to warp an separate from salt an water. Try an put a containment around it with stand inside. You will have water on floor at one point an time it's part of a reefer life.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard a few gripes about I-Phone cameras but those are stunning, you also talked about travel so who takes care of the tank, there doing a fine job.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evidently it has been a lot longer since I have done a battery of manual tests than I thought. I always log my results into Apex Fusion and when I logged these this morning, I could not believe my last tests were August 20th! That's nearly four months! I guess when your tank is looking good, you don't think to test. I don't advocate that though because often once you see some symptom of something being out of whack, getting it in check is much more difficult. So don't do this!

Here are the results - I ran every test twice and averaged the results - very pleased:

Alk (hanna) - 8.5 dKh
Calcium (RS) - 400ppm
Magnesium (RS) - 1400ppm
Phosphate (hanna ulr) - 0.015ppm
Nitrate (RS LR) - 0.75

I feed a TON of food into this tank. I have not been running a filter sock for three months now. I think the combination of the massive amount of macro-algae in the sump along with the denitrator are really making this all work out.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard a few gripes about I-Phone cameras but those are stunning, you also talked about travel so who takes care of the tank, there doing a fine job.
A proper initial configuration of the tank, lots of water, and of course my Apex takes care of the tank. Even when I am home, I rarely go down to my fish cave more than once a week. The tank runs itself. I keep my hands out of it, feed it heavily, and scrape the glass. Of course if something should go wrong, I do have friends nearby to help bail me out!

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evidently it has been a lot longer since I have done a battery of manual tests than I thought. I always log my results into Apex Fusion and when I logged these this morning, I could not believe my last tests were August 20th! That's nearly four months! I guess when your tank is looking good, you don't think to test. I don't advocate that though because often once you see some symptom of something being out of whack, getting it in check is much more difficult. So don't do this!

Here are the results - I ran every test twice and averaged the results - very pleased:

Alk (hanna) - 8.5 dKh
Calcium (RS) - 400ppm
Magnesium (RS) - 1400ppm
Phosphate (hanna ulr) - 0.015ppm
Nitrate (RS LR) - 0.75

I feed a TON of food into this tank. I have not been running a filter sock for three months now. I think the combination of the massive amount of macro-algae in the sump along with the denitrator are really making this all work out.
I also run a sulfur denitrator and chaeto.

Dp you tend to the chaeto at all?

I flip/move mine around once or twice a week and remove any parts that look dead.

I harvest about 2 gallons of volume a month but it varies nearly every month as to how much i remove.

Do you just leave yours in?

Are you adding a lot of coral food or plankton or amios etc or just fish food?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run a sulfur denitrator and chaeto.

Dp you tend to the chaeto at all?

I flip/move mine around once or twice a week and remove any parts that look dead.

I harvest about 2 gallons of volume a month but it varies nearly every month as to how much i remove.

Do you just leave yours in?

Are you adding a lot of coral food or plankton or amios etc or just fish food?
If you scroll back you will see that I take out about a cubic foot or two of macro every 3-4 weeks. I thin it out from many parts of the 2'x4' patch so that it just fills back in.

I feed tons of different types of food. LRS, PE Mysis, TLF Nori sheets, TLF mixed seaweed flakes (these things are awesome - every kind of fish goes crazy for them), TLF Zoplan, PolypLabs Reef Roids Pro, TLF Calun-eeze, All kinds of ReefNutrition liquid foods (R.O.E. makes the fish go nuts!), LRS Fish Eggs (nothing creates a bigger feeding response) and of course I feed my own product, Neptune Systems Crossover Diet. I have no set routine other than I feed in the morning, AFS feeds a tiny amount twice during the day, and I feed again in the evening. Once or twice a week I feed a massive amount of all the coral and fish foods to create an incredible food cloud right before lights out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back