Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you and Terrence should post some FTS, in your respective threads, to show what your great minds can do!

OK. Challenge accepted. Your turn Rev.

ea789219116e5b7391b72638aec89657.jpg

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its about time for some eye-candy.

In here are some shots of corals such as the pearlberry acro given to me from @Brad Syphus over a year ago - it died back and is not recovering with a vengeance since using Triton. Brad's died off a few months back so I cannot wait to get this big enough to send him some back.

Also here is a tiny frag of Walt Disney acro given to me as an accident frag by @vhuang168. I got it with about 2 polyps and was determined to make that thing grow into a huge colony. After a couple of months now it is off to a great start!

There are a couple of shots from the ends of the tank too - one of them looks out of focus but its because it was taken from the other side of the tank and the water simply distorted it.

My crazy monti frags still do not grow for some reason. I think I need to put them up in more light - although I was told not to they just dont seem to grow like the others.

Also here is a bright green branching coral from WWC that looks like a Spongodes but it is not - they have assured me - and now that i see how it grows in a branching tree-like form, I agree. Can someone tell me what it is?

Oh, and the one echinata pic there is a coral I just got from Robert at Neptune Aquatics. He had two that were dying in his tank so he gave them to me to rescue. They were in horrible shape and I pruned them back and they died back more and I thought I would lose them completely - a week later they are showing recovery both in color, PE, and even a tiny bit of growth.

Enjoy!

DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

DSC_0236.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0250.jpg

DSC_0261.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

DSC_0267.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0270.jpg

DSC_0273.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0276.jpg

DSC_0246.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Simonsen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realy inspiring thread! When you first got Apex, you never want anything else! :)

Only think i missing is some good DSLR camera shoots! :)

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence, this thread has now solidified the fact that I will be buying an apex in the near future. Only thru your examples of how useful it really is sold me. Your tank is really taking off. I am seriously considering the partial Triton method you are using. Seems like it’s the most economical way. I don’t remember but do you have amino acids on dose too?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence, this thread has now solidified the fact that I will be buying an apex in the near future. Only thru your examples of how useful it really is sold me. Your tank is really taking off. I am seriously considering the partial Triton method you are using. Seems like it’s the most economical way. I don’t remember but do you have amino acids on dose too?
always happy to see people make good use of the information I share.

I had to add a “SET OFF “ command. That fixed it. Thanks
Didn't even catch that. Glad you got it going!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the next drama. Evidently, unbeknownst to me, the Triton Core7 liquids (at least one of them) does not like winter temps below 59 degrees. Not freezing. 59 degrees F. My FishCave gets into the high 40s in the worst of winter.

I can imagine this might be quite a problem for people storing this in opaque containers in their basements and not even knowing this has happened. Not too happy right now as I love this product so far and don't know what to do. Moving dosing up to my living quarters is out of the question.

Did I somehow miss the giant letters on the outside label warning me of this? Going to go check tomorrow.

Grrr.

upload_2018-1-4_20-25-9.png
Oh no I didn't know this this might be a big problem for me

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params still on track. Actually I am glad my nitrates are up a little bit. I also have decided to try my alk 1 DKh higher at around 9.5.

Alk - 9.85 DKh
Ca - 445
PO4 - .02
NO3 - 1.5

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping up with this thread for awhile but it’s so extensive I may have missed it. What kind of flow are you getting to your display with your RD230? Thanks

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have the Abyzz A400. I run it at 72% and I get about 1100gph of flow. That's all my 2" drain can handle the way I have it plumbed with an air vent under the house and a fully flooded drain (so its quiet inside the living space.)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have mentioned it but how many amps does your system pull?

The measurement you are probably really after is watts. Not amps.

I can measure that easily with my EB832s. However I do have my Philips lights running on 220v so my aggregate power usage graph is not entirely accurate.

All that said, my system peaks at about 2000 watts without the lights and I run the 760w of lights at about 70% at peak. So that’s about 2600w worst case scenario (lights and all heaters basically)

At that rate my aquarium costs me about 80 cents an hour to run! Ouch.

Good thing for me that’s not normally the case.

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The measurement you are probably really after is watts. Not amps.

I can measure that easily with my EB832s. However I do have my Philips lights running on 220v so my aggregate power usage graph is not entirely accurate.

All that said, my system peaks at about 2000 watts without the lights and I run the 760w of lights at about 70% at peak. So that’s about 2600w worst case scenario (lights and all heaters basically)

At that rate my aquarium costs me about 80 cents an hour to run! Ouch.

Good thing for me that’s not normally the case.

That’s what I needed. Thank you! That system is a beast.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence I think the bright green one from WWC is an anacropora. They have a couple different colorations of it. The more famous being the yellow slimeball anacropora.
Well I have another anacropora in the tank and it doesn't look anything like that. Hmm. After googling it, I think you may be right. Thanks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back