Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this makes me feel like this hobby is a lot of work lol.
I don't see how you got that from my post. I never fully cleaned my skimmer in over two years. My dosing head went bad after probably 8 months - I should have changed it out in 6 and it is super easy to do. Carbon really should be changed out every six weeks. I did all of the above in the course of two hours time.

I like to believe that I am an example that you DONT need to be a slave to your tank to have a great aquarium.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how you got that from my post. I never fully cleaned my skimmer in over two years. My dosing head went bad after probably 8 months - I should have changed it out in 6 and it is super easy to do. Carbon really should be changed out every six weeks. I did all of the above in the course of two hours time.

I like to believe that I am an example that you DONT need to be a slave to your tank to have a great aquarium.

Haha maybe it was just the description :D no harm was meant by the comment. You do a lovely job mate.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ok. Just got back from Germany. It is the season. RAP->Interzoo->RAp and everything in between.

Only update. I now know I have a love-hate relationship with heniochus.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard Neptune has him locked up in their basement and he can't leave until he's assembled and packaged the first 1,000 Tridents!
As the marketing guy more likely that he is holding the guys who have to build the first 1000 trident hostage until they finish lol

Ok ok. Just got back from Germany. It is the season. RAP->Interzoo->RAp and everything in between.

Only update. I now know I have a love-hate relationship with heniochus.
Sounds like there is a story there, hope to hear more about it soon!

rlbannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dosing head went bad after probably 8 months - I should have changed it out in 6 and it is super easy to do.

Is it usually the same place that fails (if so, which?), and are there signs to look for that might predict impending failure?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it usually the same place that fails (if so, which?), and are there signs to look for that might predict impending failure?
There is no real way to tell for sure. Best to just change out on a regular basis. In my case, six months is probably a good interval given the workout I give it. Sometimes you can see small stress cracks in the plastic here or there when you run them at high speed a lot - ironically those cracks really do not impact the functionality at all so they are not indicative of anything really.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you all don't think my tank is in some sort of funk and I am avoiding posting about it - I just took these on Saturday.

upload_2018-6-4_16-10-23.png

upload_2018-6-4_16-10-41.png

upload_2018-6-4_16-10-53.png

I like where the tank is at right now!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you all don't think my tank is in some sort of funk and I am avoiding posting about it - I just took these on Saturday.

upload_2018-6-4_16-10-23.png

upload_2018-6-4_16-10-41.png

upload_2018-6-4_16-10-53.png

I like where the tank is at right now!
Stunning!
That first pic - what is the purple with green polyp coral?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning!
That first pic - what is the purple with green polyp coral?

That is a Jason fox cyphastrea of some sort. Cannot remember the name. Pretty killer though.

EDIT: Just looked it up on my invoice - its a "Cornbread Bling Bling Cyphastrea" hahaa

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back