Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, been slacking on posts, sorry!

So, after probably 9 months of no water changes and six months of no filter socks and running the Triton system I have decided to go back to filter socks and water changes. Why? Because I noticed tons of detritus building up in the sump and my ORP has been steadily drifting down for a couple of months. It was hanging out around 240 recently. Also, and don't know if there is correlation to this or the extra sunlight this time of year, I started getting some cyano here and there (but mostly on the side facing the sunlight).

So, I picked up some salt - I mean a LOT of salt. If you are going to be prepped for water changes and haul the boxes down to the fish cave (OK, my son did that) you might as well order a lot - 20 boxes to be exact. I picked up 20 boxes of Fritz RPM salt and had it delivered on a pallet. I started mixing my first 100g a few days ago. Mixed up nice and I figured out how many "scoops" of my stainless mixing bowl would make 35ppt 100 gallons (it was 9.5).

My first water change and filter sock addition created an immediate rise in the ORP. I moved the macro "mat" and moved around the live rock in the sump and sucked out tons of brown and gray goop. Did another change yesterday - even steeper rise. Over 300 now. I will do two more over the next week I think. Then, who knows, maybe I will wait 4-6 weeks before the next and so on.

Moved most of the "tasty" LPS down to the sump for now and lit it with a kessil clone light. The heniochus would not stop eating it so either I am going to sell it all or get rid of those beautiful fish.

Thats all the update for now - its summer!

I did not put the graphs in order, but if you look them over, the spikes show where the water changes were (temp probe out of the water changes the salinity because of temp compensation). In these graphs you can see how bad the ORP was trending and then see it trending up after the water changes and filter socks.

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 6.57.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 6.56.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 6.55.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 6.52.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 1.12.08 PM.png

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a nice change! I’d probably do an icp test on the salt. I did one before on their salt and potassium was 360 and calc almost 500. I wrote them about the issue and they said they were fixing the potassium issue but I’d be to scared to use their salt now.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a nice change! I’d probably do an icp test on the salt. I did one before on their salt and potassium was 360 and calc almost 500. I wrote them about the issue and they said they were fixing the potassium issue but I’d be to scared to use their salt now.
Good feedback. I will ask Shawn about that. 500 calcium doesnt bother me. 360 on the K does not work for me though. That said, I am supplementing with the Trident.

It is about time for another ICP on the tank though - thanks for reminding me - going out tomorrow.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a sock 24/7?

On my 700g I only use for a couple days after a water change or when I blow off all the rock.

As for your sump, take a shop vac and clean it out once a year. It does wonders [emoji1]. I take a “bucket head” from Home Depot and take out 15 g from my sump every 6 months. Otherwise when I do a water change I take a powerhead and toss it down there a few min. Keeps things suspended in the column for the skimmer to eat up.

As for salts they all seem to mix up with something higher then another. I’ve been mixing 2 different ones for years now with good results.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a sock 24/7?

On my 700g I only use for a couple days after a water change or when I blow off all the rock.

As for your sump, take a shop vac and clean it out once a year. It does wonders [emoji1]. I take a “bucket head” from Home Depot and take out 15 g from my sump every 6 months. Otherwise when I do a water change I take a powerhead and toss it down there a few min. Keeps things suspended in the column for the skimmer to eat up.

As for salts they all seem to mix up with something higher then another. I’ve been mixing 2 different ones for years now with good results.
A bit more difficult for me as I have a 4'x7' sump and lots of areas for the detritus to collect. I will likely run it on occasion without the socks, but I think most of the time I will be back to them.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit more difficult for me as I have a 4'x7' sump and lots of areas for the detritus to collect. I will likely run it on occasion without the socks, but I think most of the time I will be back to them.

I understand that, I have a 3’ x 10’ sump with a ton of rock in it. The first 4’ is all for my skimmer/ calcium reactor pumps. The rest is rock. Every 6months I take the rock out rinse it in a bucket and clean out under it. The rest I do whenever I’m motivated lol.

You know your stuff, clearly, so by no means am I trying to turn you away from that. What you’re doing is working. You have a beautiful tank. Just tossing some ideas your way :)

I know how it is to have things going awesome, we look for ways to change things because we are use to the tank being high maintenance.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that, I have a 3’ x 10’ sump with a ton of rock in it. The first 4’ is all for my skimmer/ calcium reactor pumps. The rest is rock. Every 6months I take the rock out rinse it in a bucket and clean out under it. The rest I do whenever I’m motivated lol.

You know your stuff, clearly, so by no means am I trying to turn you away from that. What you’re doing is working. You have a beautiful tank. Just tossing some ideas your way :)

I know how it is to have things going awesome, we look for ways to change things because we are use to the tank being high maintenance.
I really like the idea of the home depot vac. I have so many buckets anyways. I really cannot believe how easy this tank is to take care of. True, it prob seems that way because I take for granted a bunch of knowledge that I have so when something does go wrong its not that big of a deal. But still, tons easier than my 210g

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I siphon the sump every 3 months or so, as you should do with Triton to remove the inert debris.

Have you considered one of the roller mat solutions? So far everyone I've spoken to using the Clarisea, or the higher end X-Filter will never go back to socks and noticed considerable improvements in NO3, PO4 and ORP.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to use a roller-mat but all of them are too small except for the new one that may be coming out from Theiling (shown at Interzoo). That one I would use.

upload_2018-7-5_15-4-53.png

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some interesting variety with Fritz regarding alk over time, something to keep an eye on.

That is great that you have your ORP issue figured out, feels good to get a problem licked!

I saw someone recently that used normal socks or maybe even no pre-filter to the sump, and just had a 2nd return pump out of the sump that pumped into a rollermat, so basically the sump had a closed loop with a rollermat in the loop. Interesting idea I suppose, but it does seem more efficient to use the rollermat as a prefilter AND a closed loop filter if possible.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way Rich Ross is doing it at the Steinhart aquarium is to use a big cylinder to the bottom that the drains dump into, this causes the detritus to stay in that cylinder (water exits at the top). At the bottom he has our COR pump going to a Theiling. It is featured halfway into my most recent video I did there.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a google of the XFilter 1.7 - 10,000lph and some very good reviews vs the Clarisea & Theiling.

I'll PM you a link as they're not a R2R sponsor and I don't want to upset anyone. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We need more tank shots!

klisby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Terrance,
Just finished last post. 92 pages build thread! Amazing how consistent you have been with your updates.
Amazing and inspiring. In the start of rebooting my tank - def. a lot of valuable information here - thanks for sharing!

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good feedback. I will ask Shawn about that. 500 calcium doesnt bother me. 360 on the K does not work for me though. That said, I am supplementing with the Trident.

It is about time for another ICP on the tank though - thanks for reminding me - going out tomorrow.

Hey Terrence, what reading from the trident are you using to supplement potassium?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back