Give me tips for taking over a tank

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by Jhoussock, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Jhoussock

Jhoussock Member

If all goes as planned I will be getting a redsea 250 on Saturday with coral and fish already established. My plan is to use new sand and keep the old rock coral and fish. I will also be adding some carib sea live rock. I will rescape it to my liking and go from there... anyone have some tips for someone new to a reef tank? Something I may overlook or something that needs to be on my radar that isn’t? Any pointers would be great! Oh I will be breaking the tank down traveling 2.5 hours and then resetting it up. I’ve been reading about moving tanks but anything that’s helpful for this process would be great too!

paulydee67, dantimdad and cracker like this.
    Tags:

2. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Wow . 1st tank? Lot's to learn we will help Ya. What is all the equipment ? As for moving, does this tank come with a water filter?You will need enough containers to bring back As much of the water with you . You need to be sure You have every thing ya need. to level the stand. before you do anything else.
    & Welcome to R2R !

bsn_rn_cen, Jason mack and dantimdad like this.
  3. Jason mack

Jason mack Monti madness R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Reef Tank 365

#welcometoR2R . Thanks for joining and sharing .. you’ll get plenty of good advice and help here ....Will you be getting all the equipment with it .... test kits .. refractorfor salt ..... rodi unit ... will you be taking all the water ..
    you will end up with a mini cycle .. because of new rocks and sand ...

cracker likes this.
  4. Jhoussock

Jhoussock Member

Yeah it has a filter, all the normal reefer sump equipment with all the other normal additions like skimmer and wave makers etc. It is my first marine tank but I’ve been keeping 150 gallon discus tank with remineralized ro water doing water changes every 4 days. Not completely new if you take all that into consideration. I know it’s a different world so ready to join and learn!

cracker likes this.
  5. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019

Welcome to R2R! c9eeaa92533bad341a3f26357e2be111.gif

6. Geebs19

Geebs19 Give me all the Euphyllia R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R!
    EA78B1D9-ED6E-4E11-AA63-3C0FFFFAA0FC.gif

7. Jason mack

Jason mack Monti madness R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Reef Tank 365

bsn_rn_cen, cracker and Jhoussock like this.
  8. Jhoussock

Jhoussock Member

Jason mack likes this.
  9. Jhoussock

Jhoussock Member

upload_2018-10-8_21-13-12.jpeg

bsn_rn_cen and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  10. Jhoussock

Jhoussock Member

Already have a rodi system from my discus text kits and refractor are included

Jason mack and cracker like this.
  11. thejuice24

thejuice24 Active Member

So IMO I would move it as is and not change anything let it run status quo for a few weeks. Learn the tank first before disruption. Know what the normals of the environment is before you start making changes and disrupting it. The biggest challenge in the hobby is patience and balance. Good luck with the new tank and welcome to the hobby.

bsn_rn_cen and cracker like this.
  12. Jhoussock

Jhoussock Member

Do you recommend using old sand? I’ve read some not so great stuff for reusing sand?

13. thejuice24

thejuice24 Active Member

Is it a deep sand bed? Is there a current issue with the sand bed? What is your motive for the replacement?

A little background on the tank would be helpful.

14. Jhoussock

Jhoussock Member

EB63AA76-57E6-49CC-8898-CC69535F3F9C.jpeg Not sure...I’m guessing this is on the deep side?

15. Jhoussock

Jhoussock Member

There are no issues that I know of. My only motive is that when reading three articles of moving a fish tank they all said to replace the sand.

cracker likes this.
  16. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

When do You pick this up & how long has this tank been up & running ? All correct about the mini cycle. Also was about mention to swap the sand if the tank has been running for some time .

17. Jhoussock

Jhoussock Member

Saturday and I’m unsure about how long

18. WVNed

WVNed The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes. R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Sand in a marine tank quickly becomes stratified with different things living at different levels. When you move it, stir it a lot or take it out of the tank you kill all those things and that creates a water quality problem unless you rinse it really really well before you put it back.

Jason mack likes this.
  19. thejuice24

thejuice24 Active Member

Looks like a well maintained tank. I can understand @WVNed comment, makes sense. With that being said what’s you plan for moving the tank. I’ve moved tanks about 4 times. I’ve never replaced anything, move as is with a goal of not killing anything which to date I haven’t. My fear has always been if you start replacing things out of a already cycled and mature tank not only are stressing all the organisms out on the move. But now your also throwing the biology of the tank off. Removing all the microorganism that are in that sand bed also have a place in the food chain as well. That does look like a good size sand bed, that’s well maintained. Ask the previous owner their opinion, based on the tank it looks like they know what their doing.

20. vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081 Well known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Great choice. Reefer series, very successful line of tanks. Personally, It appears to be established and I would alter but change nothing. No bigger advantage than to have a seeded system with little chemistry issues.
    I would remove corals and rock and leave sand bed and fish in tank (which I've done successfully) and with a couple extra hands get fish and tank home and fill back up within 8 hours as bacteria will be alive and let it clear up a couple of hours and reintroduce rock and scape it the way you like. Transition will go smoothest this way. Will be like doing a major water change. THIS IS ALSO A GOOD TIME To consider which salt mix you will use.
    Never the less, a great tank to roll with A N D . . . . . . . . . . .

welcome3.jpg

bsn_rn_cen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted