OP
Kavorka

Kavorka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This brings the total CuC in the tank to 20 critter in total (for my 35 Gal AIO):

-3 x red Leg hermits
-3 x Blue leg hermits
-3 x scarlet hermits
-1 x Halloween hermit
-1 x Skunk cleaner shrimp
-2 x Nassarius snails
-2 x Mexican Turbos
- 5 x Astrea

Do you all think this is enough? Should I wait and add more later or is this a good crew for the long run?

OP
OP
Kavorka

Kavorka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I picked up a few more corals for the tank to fill out the top area.

LFS guy said that Blastos would be a good LPS that could sit in med/hight light and I
Image (4).jpeg
was looking for something to put there (to many high light SPS options or low light options lol)

Image (6).jpeg

Few questions:

1) what is the stringy film/slime that is coming form them. Is this just a stress thing due to move?
2) how fast do these grow.
3)do you see any issues with placement (it is about 4 inch form the crown leather and 6-7 form the Birds nest)

OP
OP
Kavorka

Kavorka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI also got my first SPS today. LFS gave me a nice neon green birds nest frag for only 20.00 (down form 40.00). I know it is a bit early for SPS but i heard that birdsnests are great SPS for beginners and I figured that for 20.00 i would giver her a try.

Currently dead center inthe middle of the tank right under the light so taking the brightest spot in the tank.
Image (7).jpeg

-Has anyone grown these under a AI HD Prime 16. I have my light schedule on the signature Saxby preset

-Should regular 15% weekly water changes be enough for the elemenst i need for this guy? I dont have alot of LPS/SPS in the tank so hoping i dont need to start dosing.

OP
OP
Kavorka

Kavorka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally i got a Torch Coral. He is currently on the far left side of the tank about 2/3 of the way up. Hard to tell how much current is on him as he still is closed up and hasn't opened since the move/dip.

I wanted to get some movement on the left side of the tank. The duncan is in the bottom center so i have movement there and the polyps on the crown leather on top right of tank has some movement as well. Would like to get a bit more movement in the tank but cant figure out how to do it yet.

I will post a better pic later once he opens up.

Image (8).jpeg

OP
OP
Kavorka

Kavorka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current FTS as of today after the latest additions:
Image (9).jpeg

Plan is to still get some Acan Lords for the rock on the right side. This would be above the rock with Yumas and below the crown leather. Also, want a a open brain and plate coral for the substrate in the center (will remove the rock that is therer now) and also may add a feather duster on the substrate in the bottom right (around where the empty shells are now)

Corals currently in the tank:
-Duncan Coral
-Zoas (Radioactive dragon eye/scrambled eggs/re people eaters are on the island with Utter Chaso and Buttmunchers on pillar behind island)
-Rhodactis mushroom (rainbow colours)
-Yumas (2 orange and one green with orange base)
-Crown leather with green polyps (was sold as devils hand)
-favia (two colours...not sure what type)
-Neon green birds nest
-Torch coral (green)

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I bought a Tunze 9004 Protein Skimmer (lol still not a single fish yet...so maybe overkill)

I have never used a skimmer and am a bit fuzy on how it works. However, I heard they were great additions and helped if you have a heavy bioload or overfeed (which i am sure i will do by accident).
Image (5).jpeg

Image (6).jpeg

It just fits in the second AIO chamber in the back of the tank. Was also very hard to determine how low it should go because of the tight fit. I originally set the air intake know at 40% but it produced a ton of bubbles and the cup was filled of clear water in 10 mins. I now have it reduced to about 25% and it looks like this:
Image (4).jpeg

Is this correct? I ready some people talk about "wet" vs "dry" bubbles but i dont really get what that means

Is this enough or to much foam? I can still reduce it down about 5-10% on the controller. Also I assume that thsi will turn brownish once i get some actual fish in the tank. Not sure how dark it should be.
Finally I was able to find information about the skimmer, I've been asking in a thread I made and couldn't get a reply. At least now I can verify and validate that that skimmer will fit in my tank once it arrives. Thanks, I really enjoyed reading this thread in its entirety.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back