Giving in to the anemones. Advice on circus

Ann Enomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10+ year old 120gal reef tank that one rainbow BTA has now become well over 100 even with me giving away 10+ a month. At first I tried limiting the anemones to one “Island” but over the years I have lost the battle. They have taken over everything with exception of some leather corals that have survived the war. The tank is in my medical office and being as every loves the anemones I figured I should stop fighting and get a circus/harem. I have a pair of 10 year old oscillaris clowns now, I do understand violence will happen but if I add say 20 clowns will it spread the aggression out or will the cranky old fish slowly pick everyone off?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. I acquired a pair of clownfish from a previous owner who indicated they'd decimated about 2 dozen clownfish. If there are enough anemones (and it sounds like there are), you'd think that they could divvy up the reef scape between them?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10+ year old 120gal reef tank that one rainbow BTA has now become well over 100 even with me giving away 10+ a month. At first I tried limiting the anemones to one “Island” but over the years I have lost the battle. They have taken over everything with exception of some leather corals that have survived the war. The tank is in my medical office and being as every loves the anemones I figured I should stop fighting and get a circus/harem. I have a pair of 10 year old oscillaris clowns now, I do understand violence will happen but if I add say 20 clowns will it spread the aggression out or will the cranky old fish slowly pick everyone off?

Sure there will be lots of different opinions, but here is my 2 cents (for free)

I'd round up to total of four clowns, all same time and go with small so they sort out female/male/juveniles.

My rational - had13 anemones & 1 clownfish... got 8 more small clownfish. Original clownfish would not let ANY new clownfish into any anemone. It bit so many for so long that it wore away both its nose and lips. Since agression was spread, only original clownfish had wear and tear, but all the newbies had massive stress. Ocho (#8) disappeared and never figured out where it went.

Caught original clownfish in trap, rehomed to sump. Original healed fine and was sold to local hobbyist.

Still have the newbie gang of 7, but they have broken into 3 groups in different parts of my 180g with the most (4) in one large anemone that they mostly refuse to share. Have 5 anemones these days... (anemones keep killing our corals). Two of the seven clowns want gonipora and frogspawn host - and corals annoyed by clowns. I refer to them as my 'left side' clowns and their days are numbered... there is also a 'right corner' clown who lives in a giant xenia and the main gang of 4 clowns who call dibs on 5 anemone(s) mostly keep that one clown trapped in its 'right corner' no anemone territory.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you attached to the 10 year old pair and are they named? Everyone in the office love them? Same as clients?

If no then you would have a better chance of starting over with a single batch. I debate if I should add more clowns to my tank all the time but I like how peaceful the tank is.
Have you seen the sticky n how to remove BTA from rocks? You might want to consider that option as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back