Giving to other hobbyists who suffer livestock or equipment losses.

Has anyone ever helped you with livestock (frags) or with equipment during a time of loss?

• Yes (please tell us how in the thread)

Votes: 76 22.8%
  • No

Votes: 146 43.7%
  • Haven't needed help

Votes: 103 30.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 2.7%

• Total voters

Edmunds Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a newby: What I could really use is advise and just education. I don't know what I don't know.

Just had Velvet: I think from stress from temperature drop: lost three fish, and know trying to figure out how to regroup / save the other corals and fish.

Working through getting the lights corrected and not "Burning" out the corals. Wow the preset on my lights is way to bright. down to 40% of what they had. Seems to be working.

Getting water balanced out, but I know I will have to adjust feeding with fewer fish.

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Parma. What a small world. I’ll buy some from you. Everything got stabilized only after I dosed Nitrates and Phosphates during fishless period. Got Geo calcium reactor setup a few weeks ago and things are moving into the right direction it seems. Moved the few survived fish back into DT and I am in the market for new coral.
+1 for vette67.
I am in Ashtabula and am often down in both your areas. Even smaller world.

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone in this hobby should actively try to find and join their nearest reef club. It has been much harder during the pandemic but the friendship and support that you receive will pay dividends. Just being able to have a real conversation with someone who shares your passion can feel special.

Eventually you will have problems with your tank and so will they. In bad times you will help each other and in good times you will make some great memories. When your local club is firing on all pistons you will hear ”expert” speakers, see demos, win raffles for dry goods and live goods, and maybe even bid on pieces in an auction and trade frags.

On top of all this you will see other tanks, live, not on YouTube, drink beer, eat, laugh, and learn.

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I definitely have a few friends I could reach out to if I ever needed a hand.

I’ve also done what I would call favors that backfired on me similar to the stories here. A lot of no shows for free stuff and a lot of blaming for free items that eventually failed.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my frag tanks around 2003. I started an online coral business when there were less than a dozen with real reputations. And I hated selling corals. I stopped around 2006. Since then I haven't sold a coral. I only give or trade away. I have 2 180g frag tanks outside in the sun, and the sun grows corals faster than any light, dose, trick anything else.

I have been lucky to be successful in my fragging. After the Florida Hurricanes 3.5 years ago I shipped more than 300 corals to a local club. I shipped corals to the one of the Bay area clubs after the fires last summer. I restocked multiple tanks after the Calabassas Fires. Hurricanes, Storms, Fires, Power Outages - If they pay for shipping I will give the frags to help people restock. In Nov of 2018 I offered to reload people's tanks in needs before the holidays. We gave away about 100 corals. In Nov 2019 - Again same offer and emptied out 2 packed frag racks. In Nov 2020 - What a **** year - We offered to help the tanks of any first responders, health care workers, teachers, vets - lots and lots of vets. And this past November in 3.5 hours even with masks and distancing we cleared out more than 300 corals.

From Xenia to Duncans to Tenuis. Not a single penny was given to me.

I also stock 2 spare generators (Have a whole home for myself) I have 2 spare tanks 175 n 140g and a 110g stock tank that each have saved at least a dozen hobbyists. Hydraulic Lift table, extra bags of salt, pumps, and Vacuum grips -- I have it all and everyone within 50 miles that has needed it has come to get it.

I'm fortunate, I don't need to try to justify the expense of my hpbby. And I have traded a colony of Walt Disney for a mushroom because I thought it was cool. I also have held peoples livestock when they move, get a new tank, or have a tank disaster.

There are good reefers out there. You just have to find the one in your area, and make sure you have permission to text them at 11pm when that corner seam starts to go :)

Dave B

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve donated/gave away plenty. Gave away an entire 180 with livestock, lights, stand and canopy... some nice expensive fish too, just last year.
With the demise of local clubs the only real reefing site left is r2r, and most on here are out only for themselves and what they can get for free or cheap to resell... sorry but it’s just the truth. This hobby is NOTHING like it used to be.

Melanie D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I started my tank I didn't plan on having corals. I was going to have fish only. I had a family friend that when we would go to his house to look at his tank he would give me corals to take home. Most of the time I didn't know what they were but he would tell me how to care for them. (don't worry I did my research when I got home) I am forever grateful to him for sharing. I told him I will always have corals for him if he gets back into the hobby. I would most definetly pay it forward. I have pretty standard corals but they are perfect for me.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pfffffft....

We can't even get along driving and switching lanes without a lil road rage. I really think we're turning into a society that really couldn't give a rat's butt about one another. They just want you to ditch your car to get out of the way.

I attend a Mega-Church and the big joke at dismissal is for everyone to be "Christian" in the parking lot trying to leave. Haha...

If someone gave away an expensive frag to a local reefer, I'd bet you a dollar-a-donut the giver would EXPECT smthg in return. If they recvd ZIPPO, they'd never give out any more frags.

Most transactions i do locally is thru Craigslist, they want cash and explicitly say NO TRADES.

They want the moooola to spend on their future projects

Raining Money GIF by memecandy
Many people are very selfish and don’t have empathy for others...that’s just more motivation to be the exception to that and be generous. I’m generally a pessimist but I still have faith in mankind - there are some amazing people out there who have good hearts.
Oh and I totally agree about driving... I recently had someone who tried to run me off the road deliberately. I hadn’t even done anything, he was road raging with another car and I happened to be in the way. It was terrifying!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back