Giving to other hobbyists who suffer livestock or equipment losses.

Has anyone ever helped you with livestock (frags) or with equipment during a time of loss?

• Yes (please tell us how in the thread)

Votes: 76 22.8%
  • No

Votes: 146 43.7%
  • Haven't needed help

Votes: 103 30.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 2.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today let's talk about what we can do to help others in the hobby who suffer tank losses due to various reasons. It could be a loss of fish or coral. It could be a total loss or partial loss. It could even be a loss of equipment and helping someone during an emergency situation. Let's talk about it!

1. What are some ways we could be ready to help another reefer who has suffered a type of tank loss?

2. Has anyone ever helped you with frags or with equipment during a time of loss?

image via @Russo757
63a8174ab209b49ca69954a07702fc80.jpg

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually give frags to my closest reefers like money in the bank. We trade so if we ever lose something we can give a frag back. We all benefit.

I like to give new reefers easy to care for coral. Get them hooked! I'm a big time enabler... :)

If I have extra equipment its always available to borrow. We have a local reefing group. We share equipment all the time until replacements can be purchased. Or sell it cheap.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I frag I give away pieces to fellow reefers. In return they do the same.
I gave a nano tank away and once it was up gave some pieces to get it started.
Some of my best stags were given to me. Now I have a few in my frag tank and can do the same.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pfffffft....

We can't even get along driving and switching lanes without a lil road rage. I really think we're turning into a society that really couldn't give a rat's butt about one another. They just want you to ditch your car to get out of the way.

I attend a Mega-Church and the big joke at dismissal is for everyone to be "Christian" in the parking lot trying to leave. Haha...

If someone gave away an expensive frag to a local reefer, I'd bet you a dollar-a-donut the giver would EXPECT smthg in return. If they recvd ZIPPO, they'd never give out any more frags.

Most transactions i do locally is thru Craigslist, they want cash and explicitly say NO TRADES.

They want the moooola to spend on their future projects

Raining Money GIF by memecandy

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually give frags to my closest reefers like money in the bank. We trade so if we ever lose something we can give a frag back. We all benefit.

I like to give new reefers easy to care for coral. Get them hooked! I'm a big time enabler... :)

If I have extra equipment its always available to borrow. We have a local reefing group. We share equipment all the time until replacements can be purchased. Or sell it cheap.
do you want to move to Arkansas? lol

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On one my first coral orders I got black bugs and my coworker with a lot more salt experience than me saw how stressed I was and offered to help. My girlfriend has an assortment of birds who surely would have died from the fumes so I brought all the infected corals and left them at the store for him to a do a multi stage dip while I went home and completely broke down and sterilized my frag QT tank. I asked him how I could repay him and he told me that someday he'll probably need a hand with something too and just asked that I'd help when the time came if I could. Until that day comes he said to just try and help fellow reefers out the same way and since then I've been doing exactly that.

I even ordered some easy fast growing corals so I can frag them and and give some away to others who are new to this, I think the sense of community amongst reefers is one of the coolest parts of the hobby and I'm really excited to be a part of that!

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropical Storm Zeta knocked out power for 3 days, and I lost 90% of my corals. I've had offers for frags when the rebuild is up. Awaiting electrical and natural gas hookups to the new whole-house generator. Then things will get serious about getting the new tank on line.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently gave away a 120 gallon reef ready tank to someone who lost all his possessions and home in a fire. He had never done saltwater, but had seen the tank for years running. I'm still holding rock and some fish, just in case he actually gets the tank installed and running.

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pfffffft....

We can't even get along driving and switching lanes without a lil road rage. I really think we're turning into a society that really couldn't give a rat's butt about one another. They just want you to ditch your car to get out of the way.

I attend a Mega-Church and the big joke at dismissal is for everyone to be "Christian" in the parking lot trying to leave. Haha...

If someone gave away an expensive frag to a local reefer, I'd bet you a dollar-a-donut the giver would EXPECT smthg in return. If they recvd ZIPPO, they'd never give out any more frags.

Most transactions i do locally is thru Craigslist, they want cash and explicitly say NO TRADES.

They want the moooola to spend on their future projects

Raining Money GIF by memecandy
I just moved out of Cincinnati and can attest to the driving there lol. It’s maddening.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been in a position of need as far as malfunctions or all out loss.
I had a scoly that didn't like my tank, no matter where it was placed.
a reefer friend of a reefer friend took it and nursed it back to health for me.
I was then able to trade it to another reefer friend for stuff I know will thrive in my tank.
when I picked it up almost a year later (because of COVID and she is at high risk)
she refused any compensation. I offered cash and or frags.
she asked if I could help a friend of hers out with some free frags. I'm still awaiting for
them to come get some.

I have a few local reefer friends that would help out with any needs, as they know I would.

build up the karma tank.:cool:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of folks on here have been talking about (whether they know it or not) "The Reefer's Code" which is basically that reef folks take care of others and support the general reefing community. Banking frags and giving away needed equipment to other hobbyists is a way to support the "sad and downtrodden" community of helpless reefing addicts.

1. What are some ways we could be ready to help another reefer who has suffered a type of tank loss?

I'm always willing to accept free frags of high-end corals that folks want to sure continue surviving somewhere in the reefing hobby. It's the least I can do, and I always try and do the least I can. :)

2. Has anyone ever helped you with frags or with equipment during a time of loss?

Yes. The "code" works but that means you have to be available to give and receive help, livestock, and other hobby treasure as needed.

Soul Mate Love GIF by Dina Martina

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not actually in time of loss;
When setting up my tank I bought a ton of marco rock.
Yes a ton.
Local reef club members loaned me 2ea 100g rubbermaid tubs and 3ea 32 gallon brutes.
Thumbs up to the Austin Reef Club

bearpeidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the idea - I have never been successful enough to get to the point of distributing frags. I always thought it would be great to give them away and have someone else grow them out just in case. Good disaster recovery having off site backups.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the 80's, local clubs were the thing. We'd share resources, frags, sand samples, macro algae... sell, or even donate equipment we've retired, etc. Club owned gear... suction cups for moving large tanks, a good set of diamond hole saws, a good wet band saw for cutting colonies... Labor, even... need a half dozen strong dudes to help set that new tank in place? No problem. Cost you a couple of pizzas.

As time went on, people changed. Can't be bothered these days to join a club. Dues? Really? You want me to PAY to join? Yeah, that $20 a year is really gonna hurt. Meetings? You mean you want me to drive to a scheduled thing, every month, for an hour long meeting? I ain't got that kinda time!

Among club members, it was unheard of to charge for a frag. You got extras, you gave 'em to club folks. Setting up a new tank and need some starters? No problem. Everybody's got something growing well for them, happy to share.

Today? It's all online. No 'club equipment'... because there are no dues, so there's no club money to buy equipment. Loose groups like R2R are great, but they DO NOT take the place of a good club. What, you're gonna post on here that you need a half dozen guys to help move a tank next Saturday? Yeah. Good luck with that. Frags are the same. Hard to justify a gift when you've gotta package it up and ship it.

I really miss the local scene.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back