Giving to other hobbyists who suffer livestock or equipment losses.

Has anyone ever helped you with livestock (frags) or with equipment during a time of loss?

• Yes (please tell us how in the thread)

Votes: 76 22.8%
  • No

Votes: 146 43.7%
  • Haven't needed help

Votes: 103 30.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 2.7%

• Total voters

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pfffffft....

We can't even get along driving and switching lanes without a lil road rage. I really think we're turning into a society that really couldn't give a rat's butt about one another. They just want you to ditch your car to get out of the way.

I attend a Mega-Church and the big joke at dismissal is for everyone to be "Christian" in the parking lot trying to leave. Haha...

If someone gave away an expensive frag to a local reefer, I'd bet you a dollar-a-donut the giver would EXPECT smthg in return. If they recvd ZIPPO, they'd never give out any more frags.

Most transactions i do locally is thru Craigslist, they want cash and explicitly say NO TRADES.

They want the moooola to spend on their future projects

Raining Money GIF by memecandy
I (Epic Aquaculture) do a frag giveaway every month and expect nothing in return. There are no strings attached. I do hope that people who enter the giveaway will like my social media outlets, and may possibly buy additional frags, but neither is required to enter or win.

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted “other”. I enjoy giving away old or unused equipment as well as frags. But, I’m bad at asking for help.
I recently moved to Michigan and gave away some of my tanks to help some local people out and brought my established setup with me. I planned everything out on how I was going to set everything up except I should have searched for help during the setup. I just didn’t know anyone. The move ended up being a disaster for the tank as I lost everything due to freezing temperatures and a few other issues I hadn’t accounted for. Moving: it’s a pain.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actively taking donations in NJ ......will return the favor tanks in advance.
92FCBE9D-F20E-4DF0-9B93-80B6B26B2FA6.jpeg
I would offer some advice.. and it is really good advice too..

Dont ad animals till you put water in the tank..

OK that is some SA advice.. But, my REAL advice is... Dont buy cheap stuff. You have a great start there.. Get good lights.. Kessil, Radion, AI and then T5 in that order are my recommendation..

OK do I qualify then for being helpful? Or is this just cheap advice anyone can do.. If anyone can do it.. why dont they?

MSarro27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would offer some advice.. and it is really good advice too..

Dont ad animals till you put water in the tank..

OK that is some SA advice.. But, my REAL advice is... Dont buy cheap stuff. You have a great start there.. Get good lights.. Kessil, Radion, AI and then T5 in that order are my recommendation..

OK do I qualify then for being helpful? Or is this just cheap advice anyone can do.. If anyone can do it.. why dont they?
9E991289-44BA-46EE-8034-3893F9B452D0.jpeg

Thanks for the advice. OK filled with RO/DI......no more $$$ for coral

Last edited:

MSarro27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Decal.. ! and well.. how was I to know .. you didnt show me the whole picture story.. At least you already did what I was thinking.. :)
Never kept a reef tank only FOWLR in the past it’s been over 15 years getting my feet wet.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I belong to Atlanta Reef Club. We got hit bad with dinos and lost some things. I’ve heard reefers in general are a helpful group, many of the people in ARC have gone above and beyond to help us since we started. Now it’s time for us to help folks out too!

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually give frags to my closest reefers like money in the bank. We trade so if we ever lose something we can give a frag back. We all benefit.

I like to give new reefers easy to care for coral. Get them hooked! I'm a big time enabler... :)

If I have extra equipment its always available to borrow. We have a local reefing group. We share equipment all the time until replacements can be purchased. Or sell it cheap.
THIS!!

swee10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had several friends help me get started and then once I got started I was able to start giving back to them. Now when we grow stuff out we trade amongst a small group so if any of our tanks crash we can recover from each other rather than having to go and buy everything new.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had reefer friends in the past that we would keep frags for each other in case of incident. I have friends I can call on if out of town to run an emergency check on system and help out.
I have not gotten to a point where I needed major help. I have helped others and some have offered help as needed for something, I just have not ended up needing it.
I think the community of reef keepers is so small we need to be able to count on each other once in a while. Just with today the way it is, it will take time to get that back.

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having just lost 99% of my acros (1 colony hanging in) I have had a few local reefers offer frags for the rebuild. I have helped many locals setup, rebuild and always make sure locals get the best deals when I sold frags.
Haven’t decided if I want to rebuild yet. It would cost $7-8,000 to repopulate to what I had.
My crash of ~2007 only took 1/2 my corals and it was due to a power failure when I was out of town. This time I have no clue what happened. Two ICP tests shown nothing. Ca Mg and Alk etc. all good. Been doing this since 2001 with several successful tanks. This one hurt.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently gave away a s typo photo and nice red mushroom. A young man who works at the local pet smart mentioned he had just recently got into saltwater. No strings. I believe in paying it forward. Hard though. Since I live in Casper Wyoming. Gave another gal a female red mandarin. I needed a male.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my first tank going, my friends took pity on my old freshwater light and gifted me a half broke T5. It held together for a few months before I got my Current Orbit Marine fixture. I eventually got bigger tanks and better lights but they taught me the reefers code.
When hurricane Irma was bearing down on Florida and millions were evacuating, generators were not to be found. I happened to be working as a designer for Lowe's. We got in three generators. They rolled them to the very front of the store. I chased one down and told the store manager that we had a family nearby with 600 gallons of saltwater that was going to buy that generator or else he was going to have to go to that house with me later to clean out that dead tank. He sat on the box next to me until they arrived.
I later gave my JBJ AIO 35 gallon to a young, talented reefer. He later called me to adopt his favorite rock and some of his corals after he moved into an apartment where he was banned from having a fish tank. Some day, I will return some frags back to him to start again.
I can't speak for all but I think what attracts me to the hobby is that it does give us an avenue to connect and help our neighbors. I have made friends here on R2R and in my community that would not have been possible without this hobby. I will soon be gifting my two pajama cardinals to someone here starting a new tank. It's a wonderful thing.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well let’s test it out. I’ll post how many people actually offered assistance. Yes I am new to the hobby, got velvet on Christmas Eve. My mistake, no excuse. Got cross contamination between DT and QT tanks. Main display went fishless for over 2 months and kicked everything out of balance. Lost all acros. I bet most posts will be...this !diot doesn’t know what he’s doing. Doesn’t deserve my frags that’s for sure. He deserves to quit the hobby.

2E46B179-86EB-4292-9107-C4B183EDCA6C.jpeg A039EDF4-707D-4C4D-8782-0CEEAA92C695.jpeg 7491455F-78DF-4329-A6BB-5A56888394B3.jpeg 8DED157F-863D-4628-920D-9CA8B28F4D59.jpeg 4B7F54D7-773A-4227-ADB2-927B5C7219BE.jpeg 6066FA61-E213-433B-B6F2-FB36004F9341.jpeg BB2E785B-509D-4938-8393-9D178C7C14E5.jpeg BE678A33-2FC1-43DB-9BF7-A5A3BFC59518.jpeg D8A55058-899F-42DB-8AC6-E214D87178C9.jpeg
I can a send u a branching hammer coral frag if u pay for shipping as I'm not rich but willing to help fellow reefers as I have a big hammer coral..

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can a send u a branching hammer coral frag if u pay for shipping as I'm not rich but willing to help fellow reefers as I have a big hammer coral..
Dead serious just let me know and it will be on the way sorry for your loss I have loss every fish in my tank before. It sucks,!!!

RonSwanson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am willing to pay shipping for sure. No problem. I am willing to buy coral from hobbyists rather than LFS. Will have to buy somewhere eventually.

So far we have 2 people that offered to help and donate. That’s actually 2 more than expected.
Attached a few pics of current setup. The tank is fairly new 6 months or so. It doesn’t have much coral or fish (lost most of the fish to velvet). But it’s okay, with time it will have everything. Trying to get to the point where I don’t have to dose nitrates.

Attachments

• E6CEB9DD-5910-405B-AAE9-62E56F286D5A.jpeg
    E6CEB9DD-5910-405B-AAE9-62E56F286D5A.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 26
  • BC3A0856-C901-4A74-9BC4-60BCF451AA39.jpeg
    BC3A0856-C901-4A74-9BC4-60BCF451AA39.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 169636D7-F249-4603-B237-8AE5E303250D.jpeg
    169636D7-F249-4603-B237-8AE5E303250D.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 31

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave someone an old mag drive pump I couldnt use externally anymore due to a cracked front piece. He was using it submerged. I told him about it, and a couple weeks later he blew up on me about it being cracked and never talked to me again :rolleyes: . Last time I try to help someone out.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back