Giving to other hobbyists who suffer livestock or equipment losses.

Has anyone ever helped you with livestock (frags) or with equipment during a time of loss?

• Yes (please tell us how in the thread)

Votes: 76 22.8%
  • No

Votes: 146 43.7%
  • Haven't needed help

Votes: 103 30.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 2.7%

• Total voters

RonSwanson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, being new to the hobby, it’s fairly a cut throat business. People, dealers and traders are just not nice. I’ve never once asked anything for free nor am I doing now. My experiences in this hobby with people are below average...let’s just say I’m convinced that most people are on their own. And if you want someone to go a little extra for you, you better pay up.
I got into this hobby completely by accident and not knowing anything about it or anyone in it. I was at the hospital where my wife was giving birth to our baby and they had a salt water tank in the lobby probably around 400 gal or so. It mesmerized me and made me go to the lobby to drink lots of coffee. After months of YouTubing, I started one myself. Reef2reef, marine depot and brs are the only “friends” I would say in this hobby. Attempted to find some local reefing clubs on Facebook but it’s like stated in previous posts...everyone wants to sell you things at 5x or more than LFS

RonSwanson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave someone an old mag drive pump I couldnt use externally anymore due to a cracked front piece. He was using it submerged. I told him about it, and a couple weeks later he blew up on me about it being cracked and never talked to me again :rolleyes: . Last time I try to help someone out.
That’s actually hilarious. Made me laugh out loud.

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been helped more then once in a time of need Non aquatic related, And I have always been the type to help out someone in need if I can no matter what it is.

In the past few months I have tried to help a few local people as they were asking for some help one was for a guys daughters birthday and he wanted some fish for the tank he bought her and he was laid off due to covid. Set up a time and was going to give him 20 plus fish for hr tank and he no showed and then tried to say I wasn't willing to work around HIS schedule.

Then a girl said she needed a air pump as hers broke and she wasn't getting paid for 2 weeks and only had one car and he boyfriend was always working. So I arranged to have it dropped off at a friends house that was 2 mins from her and she never showed up to pick it up.

Leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you are trying to help someone and they do this but it wont stop me, If I can help out I always will. Its the way I was raised and its the way I raise my kids.

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted “other”. I enjoy giving away old or unused equipment as well as frags. But, I’m bad at asking for help.
I recently moved to Michigan and gave away some of my tanks to help some local people out and brought my established setup with me. I planned everything out on how I was going to set everything up except I should have searched for help during the setup. I just didn’t know anyone. The move ended up being a disaster for the tank as I lost everything due to freezing temperatures and a few other issues I hadn’t accounted for. Moving: it’s a pain.
What area of Metro Detroit?

Bolingsw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about what we can do to help others in the hobby who suffer tank losses due to various reasons. It could be a loss of fish or coral. It could be a total loss or partial loss. It could even be a loss of equipment and helping someone during an emergency situation. Let's talk about it!

1. What are some ways we could be ready to help another reefer who has suffered a type of tank loss?

2. Has anyone ever helped you with frags or with equipment during a time of loss?

image via @Russo757
63a8174ab209b49ca69954a07702fc80.jpg
When I was starting out in the hobby I located a group in my area that had monthly meetings. I connected with them and started going to the meetings. Little did I know that they did a frag swap at theses meetings. So I ended up coming home with several nice frags. As my journey in this hobby has progressed. I needed to upgrade some equipment and several people in the hobby donated equipment they had laying around. This showed my how close net members of this hobby are. Everyone is willing to help with advise and even time to help beginners and even more experienced people. Love the hobby and as my system matures I will be willing and able to help out.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i have had people help during a time of loss. One was just recent i had a bacterial infection killing all my lps corals.. only lps too didnt matter which lps. And i lost nearly 1500$ in lps corals. Including my basketball sized green splatter bubble coral.

The store owner where i got this infection from ( i only bought corals from him) he owned up to it as he knows his corals were and are still dying from it. And he gave me a 150$ rose bubble tip anemone, a 45$ favia, and a 200$ welsiphylia brain coral. Still didnt cover my complete losses. Or the 200$ in antibiotics. But it was better than nothing. And he coulda just said no.

The other time was when i used a product from a company i cant say and it killed 13 of my acroporas. They just all melted in days. And i called the owner of the company and he wrote me 1000$ check to replace them. I had to sign a nda though. Which is why i cant say the name of the product.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are some ways we could be ready to help another reefer who has suffered a type of tank loss?

I post frags for sale from time to time, but I have also given said frags away to new reefers, or someone who has had a loss. Although I don't see a problem with selling frags, often I would prefer to trade or help others.

2. Has anyone ever helped you with frags or with equipment during a time of loss?

No, but I have not needed it, and hope I never will. I have, however, see the kindness and generosity of many reefers helping reefers in this hobby! Something we should all aspire for!

Enjoy the hobby!

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning all. Not sure if this is the tight place for this or if it’s even appropriate. I posted a thread about how I Screwed up and ended up poisioning most of my fish. I think I put that link to that post below. It was titled “installed new sump woke up to dead fish”. Anyway I’m just reaching out to anyone in the NOLA area to see if anyone has any reduced prices on some frags or sump type equipment once I get ready to restart my tank.

thanks in

DIY sump

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Many times but I can think of one in particular that stands out.

A good friend of mine gave me some bubble tip nems right before he got out of the hobby. I was a new reefer and I struggled with coral but the nems always did ok. I gave a few to a reefer I know in New Jersey Dave - His name on Youtube was DaveNanoTanks. My tank crash a couple of times and everything died - Later Dave got sick bad, and a few people including a Youtuber named Billy Pipes organized a benefit for Dave including selling and breaking down his tank and stuff. I forgot that I gave Dave nems until he mentioned it and I was able to get a few babies and one of the originals that I gave him.

Now I have a thriving nem tank with one of the originals and a great story.

Older photo of the nem tank - I usually sell or trade the babies when they split and end up on the glass.

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 9.42.33 AM.png

DRam22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. A few times. Whenever I’ve seen someone post in our local fb group about a disaster I given them a couple frags to get started again. I don’t have a booming tank or anything, but feel like parting with a couple torch or hammer heads here and there isn’t a big deal. Planting seeds of good will, in the hopes they may grow.

DRam22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. A few times. Whenever I’ve seen someone post in our local fb group about a disaster I given them a couple frags to get started again. I don’t have a booming tank or anything, but feel like parting with a couple torch or hammer heads here and there isn’t a big deal. Planting seeds of good will, in the hopes they may grow.

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love sharing our hobby with the next generation. I provided several classrooms with a small tank, live plants, snails and a Betta. I share a power point presentation with the students discussing the basics of the nitrogen cycle, carbon/oxygen cycle, and general care. I am a retired physician. Over my career my patients would age and eventually pass away. The only thing ever willed to me was ... a large aquarium! At the time I did not need another large aquarium. I knew of a science teacher wishing to set up a large tank. I asked the son if it would honor his mother's wishes if the tank went to a classroom instead of me. He loved the idea. I set up the tank and helped the teacher maintain it for several years. Now I am in to reefing. My tank is finally doing well and I am generating small frags. Since selling coral is not my occupation, I love the idea of helping new reefers get started. Plus, I think sharing frags with the stipulation of requesting frags back in case of a tank crash is a great idea.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm too early in my start up to offer anyone anything as I don't have much just yet but i certainly would help local reefers in a pinch! However I have received corals from other reefers going thru tank catastrophes as a sort of coral bank insurance policy in case they lost it all. They could recover from what I am keeping for them. We all share locally when we can so if anyone is in need down the road they know they are covered. Take that Alstate!

Milw-reef-414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually give frags to my closest reefers like money in the bank. We trade so if we ever lose something we can give a frag back. We all benefit.

I like to give new reefers easy to care for coral. Get them hooked! I'm a big time enabler... :)

If I have extra equipment its always available to borrow. We have a local reefing group. We share equipment all the time until replacements can be purchased. Or sell it cheap.
I get a coral or 2

stephen wyard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the best way to help other reefers.I am from canada and I have tried to get a group of canadian reefers to start a help line for the new guys.I think dontating one or two frags to help someone or just to give good advice also to help someone is a great idea.In canada we pay a lot for frags and because we can't buy from U S we are stuck paying those high prices.So any canadians out there that think this is a good idea let me know thanks and happy reefing

Junkmanthom

Thom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about what we can do to help others in the hobby who suffer tank losses due to various reasons. It could be a loss of fish or coral. It could be a total loss or partial loss. It could even be a loss of equipment and helping someone during an emergency situation. Let's talk about it!

image via @Russo757
63a8174ab209b49ca69954a07702fc80.jpg

Junkmanthom

Thom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave away about 300 bucks worth of coral to a guy a few weeks ago and found out he sold them to his lfs. Smh. Oh well.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back